U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
There are some arguments about it but statehood did indeed win the 2012 status referendum. As I have said before, I believe statehood is inevitable however I don't think it will happen for another 5-7 years. Some within the statehood movement have a target date of March 2nd 2017 - the 100th anniversary of Puerto Ricans being granted US citizenship.

The major problem is that the pro-colony (oops I mean "commonwealth") party, the PPD, won the 2012 election so they will obviously try and delay any attempt at changing status as long as they are in power (hopefully they will lose in 2016). Until the PNP gets back into power 3.7 million American citizens will be denied their fundamental rights and treated as second class citizens solely because of where they happen to live .... but hey at least they don't have to pay Federal income taxes

It will happen, it's just a question of when. There will be a pro-statehood rally in Washington on March 2nd to call for action by Congress.
[URL="http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/news/npp-plans-status-marches-in-pr-us-81244.html"]www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/news/npp-plans-status-marches-in-pr-us-81244.html[/URL]
there are many who don't believe as you do. just saying...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,503 times
Quote:
<shakes head>

It doesent work that way. Only the people of Puerto Rico can decide what they want.
the people of puerto rico can decide to pursue independence like the usa did with the british back in 1776.

but if you think they have the ability to vote themselves to be a state of union, you are sorely wrong. only the people of the usa via congress can do that.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:58 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,076,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekemartin View Post
the people of puerto rico can decide to pursue independence like the usa did with the british back in 1776.

but if you think they have the ability to vote themselves to be a state of union, you are sorely wrong. only the people of the usa via congress can do that.
In case you dident know they already voted. Statehood won with 61% and almost 100 congressmen have stated they would support legislation allowing a path to statehood.

: : H.R. 2000 | PUERTO RICO STATUS RESOLUTION ACT : :

Old 07-07-2013, 02:42 PM

8,541 posts, read 11,267,935 times
I wonder if some Puerto Ricans think that they would lose some of their unique culture if their island becomes a state.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:39 PM

41,225 posts, read 51,049,689 times
My son is dating a PR girl, and I would like to ask her. I did find out that Spanish is their native language, so this might be problematic after statehood.
My gut feeling is that many are happy with the status quo.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:09 PM

36 posts, read 74,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I wonder if some Puerto Ricans think that they would lose some of their unique culture if their island becomes a state.
It does not matter which way the island goes, they will still lose their culture with the younger generation that is coming up. A large percentage of them really do care of the old ways which is sad

Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 PM

12,469 posts, read 11,495,855 times
Quote:
In case you dident know they already voted. Statehood won with 61% and almost 100 congressmen have stated they would support legislation allowing a path to statehood.

: : H.R. 2000 | PUERTO RICO STATUS RESOLUTION ACT : :
I hope you realize there a tons of bills with the support of 100 congressmen just sitting and dying a slow death in congress. That bill will never pass until there is massive support from the general population of PR. They don't have that support, and probably never will get it.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:03 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,076,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I hope you realize there a tons of bills with the support of 100 congressmen just sitting and dying a slow death in congress. That bill will never pass until there is massive support from the general population of PR. They don't have that support, and probably never will get it.
If your so convinced statehood would be defeated then why are you opposed to allowing a yes or no binding referendum on statehood?

Old 07-09-2013, 03:54 PM

36 posts, read 74,863 times
I have always believed in the following.

The main land would allow PR to become its 51st state, but only if they had something to offer back. Alaska, and Hawaii are both strategic location for the military in case they are ever needed. So that is a no brainier!

What would PR offer the main land? I have asked this question many time both here in the main land, and in PR when I go visit. I always get the same blank stare.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 AM

12,469 posts, read 11,495,855 times
Quote:
If your so convinced statehood would be defeated then why are you opposed to allowing a yes or no binding referendum on statehood?

I could not care less about any binding referendum in PR. It would never pass anyway, and I doubt Congress would allow such a thing. Those of us living in the USA, thru our elected representatives, have a say in whether or not PR becomes a state. And currently the US Congress will not grant statehood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories