U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:02 AM

518 posts, read 945,662 times

Advertisements

Its not that people are happy with the status quo, most aren't. It's that most Puerto Ricans back statehood but don't understand what Statehood is. Most, if not all, don't expect any major changes. All has to be clarified by Congress before Americans get neck deep into something they don't want.

Ask almost any one on the island about statehood and they'll say, "we want statehood BUT, it has to be with Spanish! English is acceptable only as a second language, if so.

Everyone talks about the benefits, meaning Transfer payments a.k.a. welfare, food stamps, security against unemployment, Obama care, and possibly not paying Federal taxes.

How can that be? Because most of the island, (65% )lives below federal income standards, they will be eligible for INCOME TAX CREDITS. This means that despite paying Federal income tax on April 15, most if not all money will be refunded under the Income Tax Credit rules. Sounds like a scam? but it's legal and that is what the statehood party sells to the people, as "LOS BENEFICIOS DE LA ESTADIDAD! But how do the American tax payers benefit from this?

On top of that most Rican statehooders swear that they can keep their Olympic team separate from the US, Participate separatey in the Miss Universe contest, eventualy control Dominicans entering the island illegally and havening more political power in Congress than 27 states!

"A quien le amarga un dulce?" Does candy taste bitter?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 12:41 PM

25 posts, read 183,002 times
Most of the people I know here don't seem to care very much about statehood. People talk about it around election time and soon after it's forgotten. I'm for statehood if it makes this island a better place to live. Hopefully they won't tax us to death. We middle class islanders already have it pretty rough here.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:48 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,072,512 times
Statehood is the current ELA but with the presidential vote, voting representation in Congress, and payment of Federal income taxes. Puerto Rico already part of the United States, Puerto Rico already has the same level of autonomy and sovereignty as a state under Law 600 enacted in 1952. This is why Munoz Marin sold the ELA as a special form of statehood "tailored to meet the realities of 1952".

You keep bringing up the claim that English would replace Spanish ... this is the most absurd argument I have ever heard. Nobody expects nor would they expect that Puerto Ricans give up speaking Spanish ... what we DO what however is a bilingual Puerto Rico where all Puerto Ricans can speak both English and Spanish.

The Olympics team is somewhat complicated. The case of the Caribbean Netherlands which had it's own Olympics team until it merged into the Dutch national team 2011 indicates that it IS possible that a State of Puerto Rico could continue to have it's own Olympics Team. Additionally several British Overseas Territories participate have their own Olympics teams for certain events and participate as part of the UK team for others.

BTW: the only Puerto Rican athletes who won Gold medals did so as part of the US team ... some food for thought.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:58 PM

6,178 posts, read 9,243,768 times
One frequent myth often stated by the left-wing media is that the Republicans would try to block statehood, even though this is false according the 2012 GOP platform that every member of the party agreed on. In fact, only the GOP platform explicitly mentions support for Puerto Rican statehood, which the Democratic platform does not.

Also, most Republican U.S. Presidents have explicitly supported PR statehood, while only one Democratic President (Franklin D. Roosevelt) has supported it, with some Democrats such as John F. Kennedy officially supporting the status quo.

Finally, the pro-statehood PNP is more aligned to the Republican party than with the Democratic Party, while the pro-status quo PPD is officially aligned with the Democratic Party. If the Republicans were to block statehood, it would be an extreme disservice to the PNP that the GOP has always supported and would be considered an act of betrayal.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 PM

25 posts, read 183,002 times
If we become a state I sure hope they raise our salaries. We're so underpayed. I think they would have to increase our salaries, if not your average professional middle class person simply could not afford to pay all of the taxes associated with statehood. The lower class surely cannot afford to pay property taxes and such. I know families in my neighborhood who live off of less than $1000 usd a month.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:56 AM

19 posts, read 24,396 times
The ball is in governments court, A vote in Puerto Rico over the island’s status as a U.S. territory has triggered a severe debate over whether a majority voted to become the 51st state.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 PM

297 posts, read 415,967 times
Would be pretty cool seeing the USVI and PR added as one state though their is the whole language issue. Just saying.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 AM

24,671 posts, read 63,113,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
Would be pretty cool seeing the USVI and PR added as one state though their is the whole language issue. Just saying.
What "language issue"? I don't know why you think it would be "cool" but I'll pretty much guarantee you it'll never happen!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:58 AM

107 posts, read 272,648 times
I wish statehood could happen, but I agree, I do not see why the US would ever allow PR to be a state. From the poverty and crime that is rampant throughout the country, what would be the purpose? Hawaii did not have a high murder rate or wide-spread poverty issue when they became a state, I do not believe. If Puerto Rico had something to offer, then maybe, but as it stands, it's just another poor Caribbean country getting worse, not better.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:41 PM

518 posts, read 945,662 times
Whether we are granted Statehood or not will DEPEND on Congress, not on a 100% of Puerto Ricans voting for it.
It all boils down to American national interests vs. ours. At this point nobody knows what they are. What I do know is that we are considered a strange territory, that has refused assimilation for 115 years. Different from Hawaii or New Mexico, Puerto Ricans really believe we are a different nationality, not a regional entity like Texas. Most Americans are dumb founded when visiting the island. English is only heard in the tourist areas like it is in most tourist areas of the world. We refer to mainlanders as " Los Americanos" some refer to them with the derrogatory "Gringo", never as one of us.

Nonetheless we MUST push Congress to decide what it is willing to do with us. Will statehood be granted and under what conditions? Will Puerto Rico accept the conditions set by Congress? Nobody knows.

Congress must define what it wants and expects from us. We must stress to them to accept us AS IS, which to some in congress ( Tea party) is like accepting a Quebec into the body politic.

Another issue is, what are we willing to give in return for statehood? Nobody knows. For many Puerto Ricans statehood is a WIN-WIN situation, but is it for the United States and its taxpayers? On top of that, with the hysteria running around the country that Hispanics will take over from whites, why are they even willing to discuss statehood for the island?
I believe there will eventually be NEGOTIATIONS and what ever might come out I bet nobody will be happy. However Americans must look after their interests first, not ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories