U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:56 AM

41,219 posts, read 51,035,158 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to hear that Puerto Rico will be voting on statehood soon. Does this happen frequently, but they always vote no, or what?

What are the advantages to the mainland and to Puerto Rico?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 PM

25,058 posts, read 24,869,492 times
I don't want Puerto Rico to become a state. What we have now is fine, becoming a state will give us no advantages except that it will exist in most people's minds (about as much as Hawaii, I suppose) and that will have the negative effect of sending real estate prices sky high if Hawaii and the USVI are any indicator. Plus, I kinda like having 50 stars on the flag. So I say no for statehood

Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,075,145 times
I am in favor of either statehood or the halfway step of becoming an incorporated territory that way Puerto Rico could still remain a territory but have the full protections and benefits of US citizenship and the US Constitution.

I do think though that statehood will get the largest plurality of the vote. Whether or not the island actually becomes a state is a whole different matter and I tend to think Congress will go with the incorporated territory option to satisfy both sides of the become a state vs remain a territory debate.

BTW: here is the 51 star flag ... it's not that radically different:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_flag_51_stars.svg
Most people probably wouldent even notice

Old 03-21-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I am in favor of either statehood or the halfway step of becoming an incorporated territory that way Puerto Rico could still remain a territory but have the full protections and benefits of US citizenship and the US Constitution.

I do think though that statehood will get the largest plurality of the vote. Whether or not the island actually becomes a state is a whole different matter and I tend to think Congress will go with the incorporated territory option to satisfy both sides of the become a state vs remain a territory debate.

BTW: here is the 51 star flag ... it's not that radically different:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_flag_51_stars.svg
Most people probably wouldent even notice
I think I like the incorporated territory option. They should do that with the USVI, CNMI, Guam, and American Samoa as well. It is pretty much statehood, with the US Constitution applied in full force, but just enough autonomy that our distinct heritages and cultures won't be hindered, despite what Rick Santorum thinks or wants (sometimes I suspect that he forgets we're Americans as well, but lumps us in with illegally present Mexicans). That I will be satisfied with.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think I like the incorporated territory option. They should do that with the USVI, CNMI, Guam, and American Samoa as well. It is pretty much statehood, with the US Constitution applied in full force, but just enough autonomy that our distinct heritages and cultures won't be hindered, despite what Rick Santorum thinks or wants (sometimes I suspect that he forgets we're Americans as well, but lumps us in with illegally present Mexicans). That I will be satisfied with.
Exactly, I think it would satisfy just about everyone except for the extreme rabid statehooders (aka Carlos Romero Barcelo "The Horse") and the independinistas (who are an extreme minority anyways). It's a win win. I think it's something that both the PDP and the NPP would be able to agree to especially Alejandro Garcia Padilla who seems to be much more level headed and pragmatic than his predecessors (ie: Anabal Acevedo Vila).

Like you said, all US territories should be given this status.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:58 PM

3,217 posts, read 3,610,842 times
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but, aside from being able to vote in the U.S. Presidential races, what benefits would be gained by Puerto Rico and the U.S. mainland if PR becomes a state?

Given that I've yet to understand the benefits of Puerto Rican statehood, I would like to see the fortification of its current Estado Libre Asociado (Freely Associated State, i.e., ELA by its Spanish language acronym) status.

I would love to see an ELA on steroids! An ELA with an economy based on diverse industries such as banking, ocean shipping and transport, scientific R&D, light manufacturing, etc. I would love for Puerto Rico to study and emulate the models of island nations such like Japan, Singapore, UK, etc.

But most of all, I'd wish to no end that us Boricuas would become a people who stand out for academic achievement, bilingualism, prosperity,and for being models and examples of what Latinos can and will achieve as U.S. Citizens. I would love for US (nosotros) to be the Asian community's "prime competitors;" a force to be reckoned with; the spearheads of the Latino community.

Instead of being known for filling prisons, I want us to be known for filling univiersities, colleges, vocational schools, military academies, and the offices of corporate USA.

OK, it's time to come back to reality, but I sure do like the view from up there in "dreamland."

Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
But most of all, I'd wish to no end that us Boricuas would become a people who stand out for academic achievement, bilingualism, prosperity,and for being models and examples of what Latinos can and will achieve as U.S. Citizens. I would love for US (nosotros) to be the Asian community's "prime competitors;" a force to be reckoned with; the spearheads of the Latino community.

Instead of being known for filling prisons, I want us to be known for filling univiersities, colleges, vocational schools, military academies, and the offices of corporate USA.
That's something I think all of us want to see. Puerto Rico is where the US and Latin America merge. Puerto Ricans can help the United States bridge the gap between the United States and Latin America.

As for the benefits of statehood: Puerto Rico would get significantly more Federal aid then it already receives. 2 US Senators and 5-6 US Representatives goes a long way towards getting special funding, access to programs, etc. Puerto Ricans would also receive Social Security Disability Insurance and Medicare payouts on the same formula instead of the reduced formula they currently get. There would also be a greater awareness of Puerto Rico, it's crime problem, etc.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 PM

12,466 posts, read 11,491,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That is not on the ballot and so won't be part of it. The original proposal was for a vote in August and a vote in November. The first vote was to ask if they wanted to change the current status. If a majority voted yes, they then went to the second vote in November to decide what to go to: full independence, free association (loss of US citizenship), and full statehood. However, the PR legislature approved the Bill with the two votes taking place simultaneously on the same day in November. How much you wanna bet they vote for current status?

The US hasn't had an incoporated territory since Hawaii and Alaska. However, DC is for all intents and purposes an incorporated territory with full incorporation of the US Constitution. Incorporated status historically was the pre-step to statehood, and was commonly used to convert the large areas of the US West into states. The fact that PR was never made an incorporated territory to me speaks to it's somewhat foreign, or "own country" nature. I just don't see it happening.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:11 AM

355 posts, read 638,430 times
Most significantly, representation that mattered in Washington DC. Senators and Congressmen that would promote and vote Puerto Rico's interests...and it's no small matter to be able to vote for President either. Puerto Rico has been sending it's young men and more recently it's young women to fight and die for the United States since WWI. The right for Puerto Ricans to vote for a President was earned long ago but never afforded. It's time, it's long over due.

What will the statehood and representation in Washington DC bring... the ability to trade with foreign countries without the crippling trade regulations which limit who and how PR imports goods. True Federal assistance with (re)building PR's infrastructure, energy, education, transportation, law enforcement, health and social services etc..

Statehood won't be a quick fix but it will put the tools in place for Puerto Ricans to shape their state's future as they foresee it.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
That is not on the ballot and so won't be part of it. The original proposal was for a vote in August and a vote in November. The first vote was to ask if they wanted to change the current status. If a majority voted yes, they then went to the second vote in November to decide what to go to: full independence, free association (loss of US citizenship), and full statehood. However, the PR legislature approved the Bill with the two votes taking place simultaneously on the same day in November. How much you wanna bet they vote for current status?

The US hasn't had an incoporated territory since Hawaii and Alaska. However, DC is for all intents and purposes an incorporated territory with full incorporation of the US Constitution. Incorporated status historically was the pre-step to statehood, and was commonly used to convert the large areas of the US West into states. The fact that PR was never made an incorporated territory to me speaks to it's somewhat foreign, or "own country" nature. I just don't see it happening.
Realistically, you are correct. Just like our many climate discussions on the Weather forum, lots of posters give an A++ to places that none of us would ever dream of setting foot in in the first place, this option doesn't look like it will be on the table, considering D.C. is the only such place with that status. I think we will vote on keeping the same status (us Puerto Ricans don't like change, after all). THis crap has really got to end, it's the one thing that really sticks to my side and why I hate the PNP and PPD. Instead of improving Puerto Rico's economy and crime, they talk more about statehood status as their main platform yeah, nothing is going to change with those idiots running the place, and they'll still be there if PR becomes a state. So, as a former natural born resident, I vote no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories