U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:59 PM

139 posts, read 307,646 times

Advertisements

What? I have never heard of that. One of my close friends is a Californian from Mexico.

We are both from CA (me from SF, him from LA) and I am a Gringo and he is Mexican and he has never had any problem here . He loves it. We both do. But we also both live in San Juan, go to University here and have firends from all over.

Puerto Ricans are very open minded and liberal. It is so much different then I thought it would be. And very few smoke which is an added bonus.

I guess it may depend on who you meet and hang around with but in academia it is most certainly NOT a problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
I love the fact that i share blood yes mexirican not uncommon in chicago... I just hope that the relationship between mexicans and puertoricans can improve .. Its crazy how people just bad mouth each other and for what ??? People dont realize we all have great food great boxers & pride like non other.. Love being both...

Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM

2,818 posts, read 3,140,084 times
we dont want tortillas over here. Joking. i am rican, my wife mexican. the thing about mex and ricans having issues is more like in chicago where there are may of both. and different gangs. you will be alright there. just eat the beans as they are and dont mash em up.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM

25,058 posts, read 25,569,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
we dont want tortillas over here. Joking. i am rican, my wife mexican. the thing about mex and ricans having issues is more like in chicago where there are may of both. and different gangs. you will be alright there. just eat the beans as they are and dont mash em up.
Thing is though that kind of Mexican vs Boricua animosity doesn't exist in Puerto Rico. That only happens in NYC and Chicago

Old 11-21-2012, 01:14 PM

2,433 posts, read 3,138,069 times
Really?? Is it mandatory that he disclose his heritage, or do all Mexican people look and sound alike? I'm willing to bet not. And are all Puerto Rican people waiting around for foreigners to antagonize? This sounds more like short-sighted gang mentality. I hope I'm wrong though.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 PM

103 posts, read 282,955 times
Where I grew up in PR we had a mexican family from Aguas Calientes as neighbors no issues. When I went to college in PR we had many Mexican students attending with no issues at all. I worked with many mexicans on various projects in PR with no problem. Having traveled a lot and now in the military living in Chicago I can see how the perception is still there that puertoricans and mexicans have bad blood but perception is not reality.

There are many mexicans living in PR you usually don't seem them as much as other foreigners like spaniards, argentinians, brazilians, Dominicans and Cubans but their are enough of them for the Mexican government to have a consulate on the island, that's not counting the ones that come from the states.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:32 PM

101 posts, read 182,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariola View Post
My husband is Mexican and I'm American. I wanted to go to Puerto Rico for a while to live and maybe teach (not sure yet). He said that if I went he couldn't go because apparently Mexicans and Puerto Ricans have bad blood. He said that if he went there people wouldn't be nice to him or whatever. Is this true or is he just trying to play with me?
Nope he is being 100% honest. Don't go there unless you want your husband to be insulted and possible harassed. However, it probably happens in reverse in the Southwest state to Puerto ricans and Caribbean people so it goes both ways.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
Where I grew up in PR we had a mexican family from Aguas Calientes as neighbors no issues. When I went to college in PR we had many Mexican students attending with no issues at all. I worked with many mexicans on various projects in PR with no problem. Having traveled a lot and now in the military living in Chicago I can see how the perception is still there that puertoricans and mexicans have bad blood but perception is not reality.

There are many mexicans living in PR you usually don't seem them as much as other foreigners like spaniards, argentinians, brazilians, Dominicans and Cubans but their are enough of them for the Mexican government to have a consulate on the island, that's not counting the ones that come from the states.

Their is not many Mexicans living in Puerto Rico. It is probably less than 10,000 out of a population of 4 Million. It is not a destination most Mexicans want to live.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
There is one thing that must be unequivocally stated about (and between) mexicans and Puerto Ricans:

we are either having great fights. . .or making great love!

I will say no more!

Most off the time it is just fighting because their are not many Mexican and Puerto rican couples. It is rare and when they do happen it usually ends in divorce. Just to many differences.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Puerto Ricans and Mexicans definitley have bad blood, but oddly enough mix alot. Maybe it's the fact that they both have some of the strongest pride I've seen in nationalites that they just crash. As long as your husband doesn't rub his nationality in Puerto Rican's faces too much he should be fine.
It is not common at all. It is very rare couple combination and like I said before it usually ends in failure because of differences. You may meet like a Mexican Puerto Rican couple like every now and then but it is very uncommon especially in the Southwest. It probably uncommon in the Northeast and Southeast as well. I really don't know where this would be common. Even in Puerto Rico it is not common and we know in Mexico it is not common. LOL Where are the Mexi-Rican couples if their are some and what is the ratio? 1 in every 10,000 couples. 1 Mexican Rican couple for every 10,000 Mexican couples or greater?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories