Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,449 times

Advertisements

My husband is Mexican and I'm American. I wanted to go to Puerto Rico for a while to live and maybe teach (not sure yet). He said that if I went he couldn't go because apparently Mexicans and Puerto Ricans have bad blood. He said that if he went there people wouldn't be nice to him or whatever. Is this true or is he just trying to play with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,179 times
Yes, it is true.

No, he's not trying to play you.

But, you're reading this from only one Puerto Rican.

Others might have a different opinion.

That being said, there are many mexicans living on the island already.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,449 times
Aw, that's too bad.
Is it safe enough for him to work and live there?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariola View Post
Aw, that's too bad.
Is it safe enough for him to work and live there?
The mexicans I've met there are either mariachi band players or work in mexican restaurants.

Good luck with that.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:15 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
That's an exaggeration. There's few Mexicans living in Puerto Rico, most of the foreigners living in Puerto Rico are from Dominican Republic. Also, most Puerto Ricans in the US were born and raised there, and have different attitudes towards Mexicans than Puerto Ricans from the island itself. Most Puerto Ricans don't mind the Mexicans on the island, we're not nasty people.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:42 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,375,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariola View Post
My husband is Mexican and I'm American. I wanted to go to Puerto Rico for a while to live and maybe teach (not sure yet). He said that if I went he couldn't go because apparently Mexicans and Puerto Ricans have bad blood. He said that if he went there people wouldn't be nice to him or whatever. Is this true or is he just trying to play with me?
When I lived in PR, I had several people tell me the same thing. I have also seen a few posts on this forum that could lead to that impression. Still, I am sure it is a minority view.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 14,563 times
Seems like this thread has existed before regarding your topic: //www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...erto-rico.html

Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,229 times
I live in South Texas. Most of my friends are Mexican or Mexican-Amercan. It's true. I could elaborate on the perceptions, but I might get banned. What he is telling you is true, though. I was unaware of this before I moved here.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 PM

There is one thing that must be unequivocally stated about (and between) mexicans and Puerto Ricans:

we are either having great fights. . .or making great love!

I will say no more!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:49 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
I'm half Mexican with a large family in Florida and perhaps I am lucky but I never experienced this "bad blood" between us and Puerto Ricans (or Cubans or Brazilians or anyone else for that matter). In actuality my Mexican family in Wellington, Weston, Orlando and Miami have intermarried with all of the above ethnic groups and produced many beautiful children.

I would say if your husband is an educated Mexican and knows how to handle himself around other ethnic groups, that I don't think it will be a problem. I think intelligence > ignorance in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories