Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 12:53 PM

63 posts, read 360,352 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about living in Luquillo? I have been to Luquillo Beach, the kiosks and El Yunque many times but I would like to know how it is to live there? Any parts to avoid due to crime? Is there less crime than in the San Juan area? What are the best areas to live in Luquillo? Good public or private schools? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,818,906 times
I loved living in Luquillo! i didnt have kids there so no answer to the schools.

I thought there was much less crime when living there, and was unafraid to go anywhere in the city itself. Im white and never had any issues or problems with anyone there at all. I do miss the Brass Cactus for sure!

I was stationed in the navy down at Roosevelt Roads when I lived there.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:56 PM

Thanks for your reply.. Are there any particular neighborhoods that are nicer than others? Can you recommend any good bars/restaurants in Luquillo or cool places to go?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:25 PM

How is the northeast in general east of san juan until fajardo compared with the rest of the island? In terms of crime, natural beauty, things to do?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Funny someone mentions Luquillo. I came back from PR just last month, and I stayed very close to Luquillo.

It is a small town with a strip mall, and a beach. There is two places I think everyone hangs out at along the beach called BoardRiders Bar and Grill, and Guave. While I was in my resort one late night, I was bored and asked the bellhops where I could go, and they recommended Guave. It was just your local restaurant with some live music.

I walked around the town just to explore. There was a lot of empty homes. The only economy was centered around the strip mall with an Amigo supermarket, KFC, walgreens. And again the night spots where just Boardriders and Guave. You have a small beach on one side, and the El Yunque rainforest on the other side. It is your typical small PR town.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 PM

NJ- what do you mean by empty homes? Boarded up foreclosed homes? How was the town? Did it seem safe? Welcoming to outsiders?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:51 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
The homes looked abandoned. They were not even boarded up or anything. I could clearly see the homes had no furniture. Now this is just one side of the town. Apparently there is a whole nother side on the south side of the Rte 3 surrounding the little strip mall I mentioned. I did not venture into that part, but I imagine it would be similar.

The part I walked around was on the north side of Rte 3 next to the beach and ocean. There is actually a few high rise apartment complexes that are gated. A few of the Gringo employees at the Rio Mar (where I stayed) live in one of those, but they also mentioned that there is lots of vacancies because there is no more military presence.

I part of town I was in did not have much of a main street, but I was walking around late at night. The only vibrant business was the Boardriders bar and grill and Guave Restaurant. They are both very nice establishments, and all the locals hang out there. Patrons spill out onto the street overlooking the ocean, and they are next door neighbors. The hotel Bellhops directed me towards these two dives when I was looking for something to do at night.

I was trying to see if I could catch a baseball game, or a small boxing match since I hear they are both popular on the island, but none of the employees knew anything. Puerto Rico feels pretty safe to me. It is a good place to relax. There is not much excitement going on. The locals did not go out of there way to welcome me with a redcarpet, but then again why would they? But they also did not do anything to make me feel uncomfortable. And I am the furthest type you can get from a Puerto Rican. Actually there was this one girl who saw I was kinda lonely and struck up a conversation with me for a few minutes. She probably saw I was a tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories