Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 08:14 PM

4 posts, read 19,570 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I will be moving to the Ponce area this summer/fall with my family from the mainland U.S. Our main focus is safety and education. I would like to know where the safest areas/communities are to live in Ponce, or in the immediate area (preferably just west of Ponce).
As far as schools go, we are looking for a good private school. What are the best schools for elementary age kids--I'm not certain if there is a school that teaches both in English and Spanish, but if not, we would prefer a school that teaches primarily in English.
Thank you all in advance for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 AM

That should read "preferably just EAST of Ponce". Thanks again

Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times
The Caribbean school teaches in English. We did not use it since we wanted our kids to learn Spanish and be immersed in the culture when we lived there but I have heard good things about it. La Rambla is the neighborhood near the Caribbean school and is nice but it is not a gated community. Gated communities are generally safer. Some gated communities you might consider are: Estancia de Golf, El Monte, Estancias del Sur and one with a lot of young children and middle class families which I can't remember the name of but which you could reach by going north on HWY 10 from Ponce, taking the HWY 14 exit and turning right and going straight for about 1/4 mile. Juana Diaz is a community to the east of Ponce but I would caution you to consider the traffic during rush hour as it would be an incredibly slow commute.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
^^ Good advice.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 PM

Great advice, Sandhillian. We will definitely look into those communities and the Caribbean School. We also found another English instruction school, Washburn Elementary. Do you (or anybody else!) have feedback about that school?

Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times
Sorry, I'm not familiar with it.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:23 PM

On a recent trip to Ponce, I was told by a couple of people to look into Cayey and Caguas. It is certainly a longer commute, but wanted to know how those communities compare to the Ponce area. Using my original criteria of safety/security and education, are either of those towns safer than Ponce? Are there good English instruction schools there? Thanks again for any insight!

Old 07-29-2015, 06:53 AM

107 posts, read 301,488 times
Cayey or Caguas would be too far. One town to another is very similar...no point in living so far away from your final destination each day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories