Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:03 PM

1,546 posts, read 3,004,389 times

Advertisements

Quick question for all you islanders...

I am moving to San German, Puerto Rico in November. I don't watch very much T.V. but I really want to learn Spanish that way, or should I say, supplement what I've been learning. This may sound ignorant, but has Puerto Rico made the switch to digital like the 50 states had to? I don't think I'd spend money on cable, I think I'd just get the digital adapter box to pick up the basic channels. Can anyone tell me what the non-cable channels would be? When I visited there I remembered a lot of cable channels in English (same as U.S.) and then the local, all-Spanish channels which is what I care about picking up. Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 11:10 PM

238 posts, read 1,068,347 times
At least you admitted it sounded ignorant. :lol:

Yes, Puerto Rico made the federally-mandated switch just like any other state. Some local channels even transmit in high definition.

I wrote a long post only to have it erased...

Here is a list I can't confirm cause I have cable.

Television in Puerto Rico | By Puerto Rico Channel

Some of these major channels were sold off to American and Mexican TV companies, so they don't get as much local programming as they used to. That's why some novelas are in Mexican Spanish.

Ch. 2: Telemundo

-TelemundoPR.com

Ch. 4: WAPA

Wapa.tv: Noticias | El Tiempo | Entretenimiento | Puerto Rico

Ch. 6: Puerto Rico's public, state-owned TV station, Puerto Rico TV.

Puerto Rico TV

Ch. 11: Univisión

Univision.com – Entretenimiento, Música, Deportes, Noticias y Comunidad

Ch. 24: Caribevision

http://www.cvnetwork.com/ (Website down)

Ch. 30: MegaTV

MEGA TV - Bayly, El Circulo, Maria Elvira Live, Esta Noche Tu Night con Alexis Valdes, Handyman, Pronosticos, Xpediente, Inmigracion, Tiempo, Lamusica.com, Directv Mas, Mis 15, Mega Cine, La Descarga con Albita

There are other channels, a lot of them are either religious or educational.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:07 PM

1,546 posts, read 3,004,389 times
Thanks. I knew it was foolish to think they wouldn't have switched too, but I didn't want to buy that adapter box if I didn't need it. Much appreciated.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:49 PM

11,247 posts, read 18,742,048 times
I saw this thread and had a curious question:

As a US territory, would they have the network affiliates like the "states" do (that is, CBS, NBC, ABC, etc.) or not? If they do, would they dub all the programming in Spanish or leave it in English? Finally, do their radio/TV stations begin with W like in the eastern US or something else? I probably sound pretty "ignorant" too but was wondering......

Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 PM

Yes and no. The thing is, NBC can't exactly penetrate the Puerto Rican market as "NBC" so they buy off one of the local channels and that is their affiliate. Others like Fox do have local affiliates as Fox 17. Think company brands.

Fox local affiliate, with their website down... Welcome to FOX Puerto Rico

I imagine Fox's website looks a little like USVI's Fox website, but alas, their website is down too.

WAPA (ch 4) is as Puerto Rican as it gets.

Telemundo (Ch. 2) is now owned by NBC, so I guess that's kind of the affiliate. Telemundo was founded in 1954.

Telemundo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PRTV (ch. 6) is state-owned so it will always be Puerto Rican.

Ch. 11 was Puerto Rican before being bought by Univision.

I guess that's it. Was looking for more affiliation agreements...

Old 07-26-2010, 08:58 PM

11,247 posts, read 18,742,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
Yes and no. The thing is, NBC can't exactly penetrate the Puerto Rican market as "NBC" so they buy off one of the local channels and that is their affiliate. Others like Fox do have local affiliates as Fox 17. Think company brands.

Fox local affiliate, with their website down... Welcome to FOX Puerto Rico

I imagine Fox's website looks a little like USVI's Fox website, but alas, their website is down too.

WAPA (ch 4) is as Puerto Rican as it gets.

Telemundo (Ch. 2) is now owned by NBC, so I guess that's kind of the affiliate. Telemundo was founded in 1954.

Telemundo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PRTV (ch. 6) is state-owned so it will always be Puerto Rican.

Ch. 11 was Puerto Rican before being bought by Univision.

I guess that's it. Was looking for more affiliation agreements...
Interesting that Fox has an "official" affiliate and no one else has (though what you say about NBC makes sense, I forgot they bought Telemundo). Thanks!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,165,942 times
PRTV (Ch. 6) is also a PBS member.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

As a US territory, would they have the network affiliates like the "states" do (that is, CBS, NBC, ABC, etc.) or not? If they do, would they dub all the programming in Spanish or leave it in English? Finally, do their radio/TV stations begin with W like in the eastern US or something else? I probably sound pretty "ignorant" too but was wondering......
All of the radio and TV stations in PR begin with W, just like everything else east of the Mississippi. Most cable TV companies offer all of the major broadcast networks, usually by retransmitting their NYC affiliate program. Most cable tv channels are in English.

The local channels transmit many of the US prime tv shows dubbed in Spanish.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 AM

Pretty much. Thanks for the PRTV thing, I had forgotten that too, though I wish they would bring more PBS shows.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:03 AM

355 posts, read 1,044,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

Basic cable usually doesn't have a dub option, so everything is in English. If you get cable service with a box, you usually have the option to dub the program. This depends on whether the program has the dub option available, not everything is dubbed.

Dubs are usually in Mexican neutral Spanish. I use "neutral" because dubs do not have the Mexican accent a native would have, nor do the dubs have Mexican native words.

By the way, I prefer to watch stuff in English or whatever original language the program is in. Dubs are usually lame in my opinion and sound almost always off.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 16,967 times
This information is from 2005, but it does list most of the mainland affiliates. I don't know how accurate the information currently is.
Moderator cut: removed bad link and bolded text

puertorico-herald.org/issues2/2005/vol09n21/CBNewAffil.html - copy/paste into your browser and add www

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-19-2010 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Unable to correct bad link. Removed bold text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories