U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,616 posts, read 13,287,109 times
Reputation: 6655

Advertisements

My father has always wanted to visit Puerto Rico. I would like to take the opportunity to spend some father-son time with him on a vacation to Puerto Rico for 4-7 days.

When's the best time to vacation in Puerto Rico?

Where are the best cities to stay?

What are some cool things to do besides hang out on the beach and chill?

About my father and I:

- We are not into gambling.
- We both are active and like to do fun things (biking, hiking, etc.)
- My father likes to look at the natural beauty of a place, so maybe a nature tour would be good?
- We would love a high rise view overlooking the ocean.

How much money do you think I should bring with me for the trip?

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2012, 04:57 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,801 posts, read 9,678,606 times
Reputation: 7360
Go to El Yunque - the only tropical rainforest in the United States. It's worth it, trust me.

Puerto Rico is a US territory and uses the US Dollar so you can go to any ATM machine if you need more money ... and no you DO NOT need a passport or a visa.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,616 posts, read 13,287,109 times
Reputation: 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Go to El Yunque - the only tropical rainforest in the United States. It's worth it, trust me.

Puerto Rico is a US territory and uses the US Dollar so you can go to any ATM machine if you need more money ... and no you DO NOT need a passport or a visa.
Thank you for the suggestion! Is there a nice beach nearby? Maybe some other cool activities you recommend?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay`·.¸¸ ><((((º>.·´¯`·><((((º>
4,687 posts, read 7,546,111 times
Reputation: 13643
You will find many, many beaches. Take a look at this video for some of the things.....
Puerto Rico Vacations - Hotels in Puerto Rico and Caribbean Travel | See Puerto Rico
__________________
My mod posts will always be in red.
The RulesInfractions & DeletionsWho's the moderator? • FAQ • What is a "Personal Attack" • What is "Trolling" • Guidelines for copyrighted material.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 10:43 PM
 
1,996 posts, read 3,251,751 times
Reputation: 15832
I would recommend the bio-bay in Fajardo, as well as the drive from Ponce to Arecibo through the beautiful interior mountains.

Last edited by Sandhillian; 04-28-2012 at 11:39 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 12:15 AM
 
15,997 posts, read 12,784,535 times
Reputation: 9797
The Bio Bay in Fajardo is fun. It is a kayaking trip through pitch black mangrove swamp, and you get to see little dinoflagellates in the water light up. The only problem is that it can be exhausting. I was kayaking by myself which may have been the problem. All the other tourists were two to a kayak so double the motor. The tour guide told me it was a two mile paddle. But fun because you play bumper boats with the other tour groups.

At the Wyndham Rio Mar I stayed in, they offered boat cruises to little islands, and coral reefs which you can snorkel around in. Does you father know how to swim? There was a tour company called dragonfly tours. They have horse riding through the wilderness, and ATV tours to a nice pristine river. There is a zipline too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,616 posts, read 13,287,109 times
Reputation: 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
You will find many, many beaches. Take a look at this video for some of the things.....
Puerto Rico Vacations - Hotels in Puerto Rico and Caribbean Travel | See Puerto Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
I would recommend the bio-bay in Fajardo, as well as the drive from Ponce to Arecibo through the beautiful interior mountains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The Bio Bay in Fajardo is fun. It is a kayaking trip through pitch black mangrove swamp, and you get to see little dinoflagellates in the water light up. The only problem is that it can be exhausting. I was kayaking by myself which may have been the problem. All the other tourists were two to a kayak so double the motor. The tour guide told me it was a two mile paddle. But fun because you play bumper boats with the other tour groups.

At the Wyndham Rio Mar I stayed in, they offered boat cruises to little islands, and coral reefs which you can snorkel around in. Does you father know how to swim? There was a tour company called dragonfly tours. They have horse riding through the wilderness, and ATV tours to a nice pristine river. There is a zipline too.
Thanks guys! Very helpful link and information. I think my father will enjoy the zipline!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Boydton, VA
4,157 posts, read 5,303,205 times
Reputation: 9276
The Bio Bay in Fajardo, is a must do....what else are you doing at midnight ? Easy to fit into your schedule, and swimming in that bay, in the pitch dark, with nothing but the luminescence of the micro critters is rather exhilarating... Plan your visit so you are there on moonless nights, the critters are more visible then.
Other than your arrival and departure day, and maybe a visit to El Morro/Old San Juan (go early in the day), I'd stay out of the metro area, crowded, noisy, dirty and the driving is hazardous to your health.

There are plenty of beaches in the Fajaro/Luquillo area: Luquillo.

If you want to experience remote PR, try staying at Mary Lee's by the Sea for a couple of days....not much to do but loaf.

Wish I was going with you....after my 3 month visit last summer, I said I had enough of PR to last me a lifetime...we stayed in San Juan Metro due to job requirements (hence my somewhat negative feelings toward the metro area), but explored the Island as much as time allowed. As time goes by, I find myself forgetting the traffic, the litter, and instead I focus on the beauty of the untrammeled beaches, the gorgeous flowering trees (I sent home some seeds from the Flamboyant tree and they have sprouted !...so arrest me), the green mountains (not much green here in the Southwest)...and the rain (not much of that here either), and most of all, I miss the coqui's...

I'd go back to Puerto Rico in a heartbeat....what a wonderful place.

Regards
Gemstone1
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Location: The Circle City. Sometimes NE of Bagdad.
22,982 posts, read 24,121,177 times
Reputation: 57037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
well as the drive from Ponce to Arecibo through the beautiful interior mountains.
Did that trip on the old road back in 94. What a trip.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 PM
 
740 posts, read 1,972,326 times
Reputation: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
My father has always wanted to visit Puerto Rico. I would like to take the opportunity to spend some father-son time with him on a vacation to Puerto Rico for 4-7 days.

When's the best time to vacation in Puerto Rico?

Where are the best cities to stay?

What are some cool things to do besides hang out on the beach and chill?

About my father and I:

- We are not into gambling.
- We both are active and like to do fun things (biking, hiking, etc.)
- My father likes to look at the natural beauty of a place, so maybe a nature tour would be good?
- We would love a high rise view overlooking the ocean.

How much money do you think I should bring with me for the trip?

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

So I am interested to know if you went, where you stayed and what you did while you were there!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top