Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msFDRoosevelt View Post
Im just curious How come Puerto Ricans are so involve into Politics and not mind About ,,Not voting for the President. Even though Its a US territory.
Puerto Rico is not a state, that's the problem. Being a state of the US vs. being a US territory is a huge difference. I don't know if most Puerto Ricans would even support full statehood if given the opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:06 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Here's another reason why Puerto Rico needs to become a state of the union with 2 US Senators and 6 US Congressional Representatives to legislate and advocate on it's behalf.
http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/n...=71511&ct_id=1

Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
It is unfair, but so is colonialism. Statehood would remedy this, but will never happen.

The issue I see here is that based on my personal experience, the people of PR do not view themselves as Americans, and more like Puerto Ricans who happen to hold US citizenship. How can a place like that become a state? It is why statehood will be voted down by the people there.

I have two neighbors on my street here in Philly. They are great neighbors and fun to be around. Both of them, born and raised on the island, will vehemently argue with you if you even hint that they are American. They get indignant about it. When they travel in Europe, which they do often, they do not tell people they are American. They are not for independence of the island, they like the current status. I think the current status affords PR's the ability to continue to be apart from America, yet keep the ability to travel freely to and fro. That is what this is about.

Again, how can people that do not view themselves as American become part of the US? It's been years and years of US citizenship, yet these feelings remain.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Puerto Rico is not a state, that's the problem. Being a state of the US vs. being a US territory is a huge difference. I don't know if most Puerto Ricans would even support full statehood if given the opportunity.
Exactly. They don't support it, and it won't pass. They do not view themselves as Americans. Period.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:09 PM

Your making it seem like only a handful of fringe elements support statehood ... in reality pretty darn close to half of Puerto Ricans support statehood. It's not quite as simple as support or oppose. It's a very complicated situation.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Or the worst, depending on who you ask. I hate how the young people think anything American is cool. Chili's of all places is the hip spot for young people to eat, drink and be seen in Mayaguez. Olive Garden might as well be a 5 star gourmet restaurant, I have had to tell people that no, I will not drive 2 1/2 hours to San Juan with them to eat there. The island is moving towards a voluntary loss of its identity (just like statehood) but economic stagnation due to its current limbo.

After 18 months here I absolutely detest the "relationship". It's a sad state of affairs when a plurality of people talk up independence views and patriotism until the cows come home and then take no action whatsoever because it would be too difficult and uncertain a transition. Sad.

As an English instructor by trade, I can tell you this must be one of the worst places in the world outside of combat zones to teach. Many think learning English is being a "vende patria" instead of attaining a skill that is vitally important in every part of the world. I don't think this mentality would exist outside of the current status. In fact students from other countries like the DR, Colombia, etc. have much more desire to learn with me (Inter has students from all over Latin America).

The truth is, no one has any idea where this place is heading. No one has a forward vision. I'd rather live in a dirt poor country with forward progress than a colony which only tries to maintain the bare minimum to survive until tomorrow and thereby falls further behind. 3rd world salaries and 1st world costs of living. Fabulous.

But hey North Americans, come one and come all. You can step off the plane and go to get tanked up at Senor Frog's before boarding the cruise ship. Pretty cool!
This from another PR thread.

How can a place where this is a prevailing view ever become part of the US? It would be the end of the US as we know it. It really does seem as though the relationship with the US is all about getting money from DC, and absolutely nothing about being or feeling American.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM

355 posts, read 717,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Exactly. They don't support it, and it won't pass. They do not view themselves as Americans. Period.

Gotta love folks who state their opinion like it was written upon tablets delivered by God.

I don't believe your correct in saying that Puerto Ricans don't consider themselves Americans. I believe you are incorrect. Period.

My family are Puerto Rican and living in Puerto Rico... and they believe themselves to be American. Therefore your blanket statement...

"They do not view themselves as Americans. Period." is not true.

Some Puerto Ricans do, some don't. If I recall correctly the percentage of Puerto Ricans that support statehood is around 70%. Keep in mind that there are currently over 100,000 enlisted active members in the US Army who are from Puerto Rico... and this is not including the Air Force, Navy or Marines. I'm confident these individuals consider themselves Americans, proud Americans.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post

Gotta love folks who state their opinion like it was written upon tablets delivered by God.

I don't believe your correct in saying that Puerto Ricans don't consider themselves Americans. I believe you are incorrect. Period.

My family are Puerto Rican and living in Puerto Rico... and they believe themselves to be American. Therefore your blanket statement...

"They do not view themselves as Americans. Period." is not true.

Some Puerto Ricans do, some don't. If I recall correctly the percentage of Puerto Ricans that support statehood is around 70%. Keep in mind that there are currently over 100,000 enlisted active members in the US Army who are from Puerto Rico... and this is not including the Air Force, Navy or Marines. I'm confident these individuals consider themselves Americans, proud Americans.
You don't know how they feel, just as you say I can't make blanket statements. If 70% are in favor of statehood, why has the vote never, ever been that high for statehood before? It has never got more votes than keeping the current status. The vote for statehood will fail this year, just as in past years. If PR's consider learning english to be the equivalent of selling out Puerto Rico, why on earth would they ever vote to be a state?

Old 05-11-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You don't know how they feel, just as you say I can't make blanket statements. If 70% are in favor of statehood, why has the vote never, ever been that high for statehood before? It has never got more votes than keeping the current status. The vote for statehood will fail this year, just as in past years. If PR's consider learning english to be the equivalent of selling out Puerto Rico, why on earth would they ever vote to be a state?
As I explained before, the PPD uses fearmongering about Federal income taxes and cultural issues to scare the voters into voting to keep the status quo as a territory.

Puerto Ricans have repeatedly stated their support for attaining the full rights and benefits that come with US citizenship. The problem is the Federal income taxes and the corporate taxation issue. Both the PNP and the PPD are in favor of voting for the President, full voting representation in the US Senate and the US House of Representatives, and irrevocable US citizenship - the argument is over Federal income taxes and the claims that full integration would threaten the Spanish language (which it wouldent since language & culture is protected by the 10th Amendment).

Old 05-11-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
I'm happy you can't. We don't need that toolbag for 4 more years.
Although I personally despise Obama I believe that voting is a right and an honor regardless of who one votes for.

Im proud that she wants to be able to cast a ballot for the President of the greatest nation on Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories