Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtymes70 View Post
PR has nothing to contribute to the USA, cut them loose or keep them as territory but nothing else. PR would be a welfare state and we don't need anymore of those.
What a very 1950s description of Puerto Rico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:13 PM

87 posts, read 147,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Agreed entirely. All US citizens should be equal regardless of whether they live in a state or a territory.

However, like Fortuno said "This is the price we pay for living under territorial status". Having 2 senators and 6 representatives to advocate and legislate on behalf of Puerto Rico would be of immense help. Keep this in mind come November 6th ... we will not act unless we see 51% of Puerto Ricans vote for statehood. 51% for 51 and your in.

The inability to vote in a presidential election is greatly misunderstood. The US constitution states that only people living in states can vote, and that is why people living in Washington DC could not vote until recently- there was an amendment to the constitution that allowed this. If people in PR really wanted to vote in the elections, they can push for the same type of amendment, which would not require PR to become a state.

On another note, some people have mentioned language in this thread and Hawaii. Hawaii is very interesting because not many people outside of Hawaii realize that the mother tongue there is not American Standard English, it is an Anglophone Creole. They speak Creole at home and learn Standard English when they enter the school system. Therefore, even if PR became a state and the defacto official language is English, people are still going to speak Spanish- there will not be an erosion of language and culture.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:31 PM

74 posts, read 237,853 times
1950's? What? PR would be subsidized by US Taxpayers greatly. PR has a very weak economy and it does nothing for the USA to add it as the 51st state. It will increase our debt levels. If PR wants to remain as US Territory that's fine with me, but anything else would be unacceptable. I will also add I admire the governor of PR he's smart, wise and innovated, but it's not in the best interest of the American citizen to offer statehood to PR.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:19 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
1950's? What? PR would be subsidized by US Taxpayers greatly. PR has a very weak economy and it does nothing for the USA to add it as the 51st state. It will increase our debt levels. If PR wants to remain as US Territory that's fine with me, but anything else would be unacceptable. I will also add I admire the governor of PR he's smart, wise and innovated, but it's not in the best interest of the American citizen to offer statehood to PR.
Do a little experiment. Go up to any person from PR and ask them if they are American. I'd love to see a poll of the results. Everytime I've done it here in Philly I get a resounding NO. They do not consider themselves American and therefore should not be fully part of the US. It was a mistake taking it from Spain and now PR should be let go to attain its own destiny free from a language and culture (the USA) it does not embrace, and never will.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:55 PM

355 posts, read 717,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Do a little experiment. Go up to any person from PR and ask them if they are American. I'd love to see a poll of the results. Everytime I've done it here in Philly I get a resounding NO. They do not consider themselves American and therefore should not be fully part of the US. It was a mistake taking it from Spain and now PR should be let go to attain its own destiny free from a language and culture (the USA) it does not embrace, and never will.
Your conclusion from polling people in Philly as to whether or not Puerto Ricans are American is a measure of your subjects education, knowledge and in all likelihood, prejudices... and not an indicator of whether Puerto Ricans consider themselves to be Americans.

Representing your opinion as fact is typical of internet blather. Of course the exception being my opinion, that it is a fact that your views are ignorant right wing racist drivel.

Treat U.S. citizens in Puerto Rico fairly (ed.by Gov. Luis Fortuno)-ignorance01.jpg

Last edited by unPescador; 06-08-2012 at 05:04 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 06:36 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,792 times
I was. In puerto Rico for work last month and there was definitely a feeling of separation. Almost like we were looked down on for being americans. My issue is puerto ricans don't pay taxes yet they benefit from tax payers programs.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 PM

In a 2010 survey 83% of Puerto Ricans polled said US citizenship was "extremely important".

People from Long Island (or NY in general) are looked down upon in North Carolina. People from the South are mocked in the rest of the nation as clueless, toothless hillbilly rednecks.

You people disgust me with your blatant racism towards a people who have contributed enormously to the United States. Do you have any idea of how many Puerto Ricans have given their lives for this nation?

And yes, they do pay Federal taxes ... they just don't pay FEDERAL INCOME TAXES. They pay SS, Medicare, and other Federal payroll taxes in addition to their state and local taxes.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:01 AM

Accusing someone of being a racist is easy on the internet do it in person and you will get an unwelcome surprise. But you are saying anyone who doesn't want PR as the 51st state is RACIST. That tells it all...you are playing politics...you must be a radical liberal who knows PR will vote Democratic with their 2 new senators and 4 congressmen. Nothing racist was said on this board, my thoughts are based on quantitative pros and cons.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Accusing someone of being a racist is easy on the internet do it in person and you will get an unwelcome surprise. But you are saying anyone who doesn't want PR as the 51st state is RACIST. That tells it all...you are playing politics...you must be a radical liberal who knows PR will vote Democratic with their 2 new senators and 4 congressmen. Nothing racist was said on this board, my thoughts are based on quantitative pros and cons.
Im as conservative as it gets. If you think Puerto Rico would be solidly Democrat then you know nothing about the island.

The Religious Right is very powerful on the island. The current state senate president, Thomas Rivera Schatz is about as Republican as one can get. Absolutely despises gay marriage.

That's ok ... keep alienating Puerto Ricans who could turn out to be the saving grace for the Republican Party.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:35 AM

why not make the case for PR instead of calling me racist? I don't see any quantitative contributions PR would make as the 51st state. Like I said I admire the governor he is conservative and has faced much backlash for his cut to govt. spending, but is the USA taking on more liabilities by making PR the 51st state? The USA is in no position to take on anymore liabilities and that's the angle I'm coming from. Over the years the USA has made so many poor decisions based off EMOTIONS and Arrogant Pride instead of FACTS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories