Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
In a 2010 survey 83% of Puerto Ricans polled said US citizenship was "extremely important".

People from Long Island (or NY in general) are looked down upon in North Carolina. People from the South are mocked in the rest of the nation as clueless, toothless hillbilly rednecks.

You people disgust me with your blatant racism towards a people who have contributed enormously to the United States. Do you have any idea of how many Puerto Ricans have given their lives for this nation?

And yes, they do pay Federal taxes ... they just don't pay FEDERAL INCOME TAXES. They pay SS, Medicare, and other Federal payroll taxes in addition to their state and local taxes.

Why are you so keen on expanding the American Empire? Spend your energy trying to get US military spending drastically cut back and drop all the overseas bases we don't need. Still defending Germany years and years after WWII, utterly stupid. PR is NEVER going to be a state.

I'm with Rick Santorum on this one. You want to be a state, fine. No more spanish in govt in PR. Everything in english, from business transactions to schooling to government. Then maybe years after everyone on the island speaks english they can petition to be a state. I know this will never happen, just as imo I know they don't feel American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:30 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm with Rick Santorum on this one. You want to be a state, fine. No more spanish in govt in PR. Everything in english, from business transactions to schooling to government. Then maybe years after everyone on the island speaks english they can petition to be a state. I know this will never happen, just as imo I know they don't feel American.

Attitudes like this one are why Puerto Rico is better off left a territory at the moment.

People like this who have little or no understanding of the history or anthropology of their own region/country (much less that of PR), who can't think past their own sense of entitlement. All they will do is meddle with PR's affairs of state without bothering to even try to understand PR or its people.

Maybe 100 years down the line when latins have will been the majority ethnicity (assuming current birth rates hold) in the USA and will have filtered into governmental positions that decide policy.... That environment would probably foster a more empathic attitude towards the language and practices of Puerto Rico.

Current estimates say by 2050, but I expect the birth rate to slow down and the US to start to panic once they realize the kind of social shift taking place. There will be more people like Santorum who are very threatened at the prospect of the unfamiliar so close to home.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Attitudes like this one are why Puerto Rico is better off left a territory at the moment.

People like this who have little or no understanding of the history or anthropology of their own region/country (much less that of PR), who can't think past their own sense of entitlement. All they will do is meddle with PR's affairs of state without bothering to even try to understand PR or its people.

Maybe 100 years down the line when latins have will been the majority ethnicity (assuming current birth rates hold) in the USA and will have filtered into governmental positions that decide policy.... That environment would probably foster a more empathic attitude towards the language and practices of Puerto Rico.

Current estimates say by 2050, but I expect the birth rate to slow down and the US to start to panic once they realize the kind of social shift taking place. There will be more people like Santorum who are very threatened at the prospect of the unfamiliar so close to home.
Better yet, free and independent of the US.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:42 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtymes70 View Post
PR has nothing to contribute to the USA, cut them loose or keep them as territory but nothing else. PR would be a welfare state and we don't need anymore of those.
My family and I just returned from Puerto Rico, and found it to be a nice place with many things going for it... history, beaches, mountains, nice people, etc.

I do think if Puerto Rico became a state many things would change, and Puerto Rico would lose some of it's cultural identity. This is only my opinion.

I didn't really see any more poverty there than many places in the US mainland.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
My family and I just returned from Puerto Rico, and found it to be a nice place with many things going for it... history, beaches, mountains, nice people, etc.

I do think if Puerto Rico became a state many things would change, and Puerto Rico would lose some of it's cultural identity. This is only my opinion.

I didn't really see any more poverty there than many places in the US mainland.
In November they will decide if Puerto Rico will become a state or not. Personally, I want PR to become a state. If PR becomes a state, it will be similar to Hawaii.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:58 PM

21 posts, read 51,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Why are you so keen on expanding the American Empire? Spend your energy trying to get US military spending drastically cut back and drop all the overseas bases we don't need. Still defending Germany years and years after WWII, utterly stupid. PR is NEVER going to be a state.

Well. thats what you say.I think differently.The official language of the U.S.A is none. the official languange of puerto rico is spanish/english. It will be a state by 2014. And WE retain the right to be seated in congress ,Or can demand to be seated. just as tennessee did.
I figure the Puerto rican men that fought and died for america in WW1,WW2,Korea,Vietnam, Lebanon,The first gulf war, Afgan war,Iraq war . did not feel american?

Right. you know what you are talking about now dont you.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 PM

21 posts, read 51,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
I was. In puerto Rico for work last month and there was definitely a feeling of separation. Almost like we were looked down on for being americans. My issue is puerto ricans don't pay taxes yet they benefit from tax payers programs.
When did you read that?. That might have been true in the past. But we are taxed to holly hell now. So you are speaking about nothing

Taxes imposed since 2000.
6% state sales tax
1%municipal sales tax
Home owners tax {crim}
Income taxes are as follows.
Soc Sec tax.
medicaid tax
10% state tax

tax? what tax?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 PM

12 posts, read 26,572 times
Default No Contribution? Look at the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtymes70 View Post
PR has nothing to contribute to the USA, cut them loose or keep them as territory but nothing else. PR would be a welfare state and we don't need anymore of those.
I wonder what purpose would be served by keeping a territory that doesn't contribute anything, as you believe? You seem to forget that each state has to pay their share of taxes equally (IRS doesn't discriminate between states) and qualifications to federal public assistance would also be the same as any other state.
A previous poster was right on the money. Either statehood granting full rights to US citizens living in PR or complete independence without interference or keeping part of the Gross Product of the island. This halfway thing keeps people in a colonial and subservient mindset.
Also, remember that any US citizen who takes up residency on the island automatically loses many of their rights. That just isn't fair.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post

You really think the US will still be intact as one nation by 2050? Doubtful.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:31 PM

12 posts, read 26,572 times
Just my two cents here. Americans from other states who visit PR aren't generally looked down on or seen as anybody special. That might seem odd to a tourist who just came from another tourist destination where the tourist is seen as a god of sorts. But it is no different than the way people where I live now (Texas) look at non-native visitors.
I am not promoting statehood or independence for PR. I just don't see how a very outdated status (Territory) can exist in this day and age. There really is no benefit for the rest of the US and it really has affected the mindset of the citizens living on the island.
If for some prejudiced reason you don't think people in PR should have full rights, support independence for PR.
If you believe every citizen should be treated equally, support statehood for PR and the District of Columbia.
Make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories