Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,380 times

Advertisements

Loiza is beautiful. I did research there this june and july focusing on Black identity and culture in Loiza. I was welcomed with open arms, taken to visit prominent residents like the famous artist Samuel Lind and also the Ayala family (famous for Bomba). I witnessed no crime and loved how open people were to allowing me to interview them.

Only ignorant people spread rumours about how dangerous it is. There is violence in any impoverished community, however, ignorant Puerto Ricans love to stigmatize Loiza due to it being a primarily Black area. As you have read, half of these people have never even visited Loiza.
Que mierda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 11:43 PM

9,792 posts, read 14,634,419 times
Regardless of its population dynamics, fact is that Loiza is among the municipalities where people face the greatest homicide risks. The municipality is on the northeastern shore of Puerto Rico and very red on the map.

Geographic distribution of risk of death due to homicide in Puerto Rico, 2001 - 2010

Once again Loiza appears in this travel industry news site:

Quote:
The locations with the highest crime rates include San Juan, Ponce, as well as Loiza and Catano.
http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/et...gued-pollution

I have been to NYC on multiple times and have never witnessed a robbery or a homicide, but that doesn't mean they aren't happening.

Last edited by AntonioR; 11-29-2015 at 12:01 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 12:16 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,386,090 times
^ Well I don't believe that map. My girlfriend and I went to Old San Juan, and the beach, and no crime happened to us.

The only bad thing that happened was my girlfriend bought a bunch of expensive stuff she couldn't afford.

It is safe in Puerto Rico.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:41 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,857,289 times
There are some nice beach complex in Loiza where some people I know have a second home there and I have never heard any problems there.
Loiza is a very old town with a lot of culture.It is known for Bomba music which is particular to that town.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:38 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,423,363 times
I went to Loiza. I didn't feel unsafe. But there was really nothing much to do. There was a plaza with what I believe was an African themed monument and a group of men drinking outside a small business. The plaza did not even have that many stores like other Puerto Rican towns have near their plazas. If you are going to Loiza to see Afro Puerto Rican culture like I did you will be greatly disappointed unless you go on a day where they have some festival. It is definitely not Harlem.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I went to Loiza. I didn't feel unsafe. But there was really nothing much to do. There was a plaza with what I believe was an African themed monument and a group of men drinking outside a small business. The plaza did not even have that many stores like other Puerto Rican towns have near their plazas. If you are going to Loiza to see Afro Puerto Rican culture like I did you will be greatly disappointed unless you go on a day where they have some festival. It is definitely not Harlem.
well, i'll take Loiza off my bucket list, then

Old 12-08-2015, 12:33 AM

218 posts, read 339,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Loiza is more like the Puerto Rican version of North Miami than Harlem NY

Old 12-08-2015, 09:34 AM

I didn't know Ponce was so dangerous. I'm glad me and my girlfriend didn't go there on our trip.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:30 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,790,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
Loiza is more like the Puerto Rican version of North Miami than Harlem NY
claro

Old 05-16-2017, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,950 times
its so sad that people spread so malicious rumors. YEs Loiza has crime, but look whats going on in PR. They are depriving these people of basic needs. Also its some of the people, they have issues like anywhere else. These people are the same people like anywhere on the island, they are all Puerto Rican regardless of dark skin and afrocentric feautres on alot of people there but not all. Africans were all over PR, Alot of Puerto ricans have at least 1 African, Indian, And spaniard ancestor, from the darkest to the fairest. Before Loiza was inundated with Africans slaves, there lived the Tainos, They mixed in to perserve their heritage. Yes some people may have higher concentrations of African Blood,Spaniard or Taino and among other depending on where they were on the island. Loiza was the slave Port, so it makes sense that African culture would stand out there, but dont let people fool you, Africans was all over, just like the Tainos and Spaniards and other races and nationalities. Puerto rican means from the Island of Puerto Rico, not the color of your skin. Its so sad to hear people divide people that have a similiar culture and background to themselves, or just because of the color of the skin. American is American regardless of the color of your skin. Some places may have a higher crime rate due to economic issues amongst other social problems. We need good people to invest in Loiza and Pr in general to save it. Once the big investors come in its a wrap! Invest in your Island , We should own some of our history and land where our Ancestors once roamed and still do to so many of Ny Ricans. Dont judge and knock them down; pick them up and help them walk. If you want real culture then you should visit these places. Puerto Rico will be so expensive soon, so get a piece of it now for all who have heritage there, or who anyne who wants to invest. Think about it, you can never wipe out crime, but you can lower it when the economy picks up. Just like anywhere else, Loiza will Rise again. As A human being we are all responsible for each other. Are you doing your part? love and peace....When you go to these places or anywhere just be cautious and keep your eyes open, simple as that. It can happen anywhere.....I just wanted to inform. Ive ben to Loiza many times, im just careful, and Im careful anywhere i go.

Last edited by anthonylanzo; 05-17-2017 at 12:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories