Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 PM

4 posts, read 53,648 times

Advertisements

STT RESIDENT. i'LL SEND YOU A PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
HiloDiver: Obviously from your comments about STT you have very little knowledge of the island yet feel as free to cast your negative opinion of it as much as you condemn my opinion of STX where you lived for only a very short while. I used to travel to STX frequently and, although I haven't been there for a few years now, I do have very good friends there who've been there for as many years as I've lived on STT (close to three decades). I hope Hawaii suits all your wants and needs once you've settled in. After all, you have only lived there for a week or so and I'm sure you've a lot to learn about living there too. I'm sorry STX didn't work out for you. It doesn't for many. I simply take exception to your persistently slamming it. There are many places on both sides of the "pond" which I didn't care for, for one reason or another. I've also been subjected to crime in some of those places but don't use my experiences as a basis for generalized negativity.

When Mike55 visits he'll of course meet with people, look around and make his own decision based on his own wants and needs which may completely differ from either yours or mine or anyone else's. All the best.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:01 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,676 times
STT, you amuse me. Thankfully, we were realistic and GOT OUT JUST IN TIME.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
STT, you amuse me.
Always happy to be of service in disseminating a little levity!

Old 08-29-2012, 04:03 PM

737 posts, read 2,587,902 times
Well, since we're in our sixth year (more for me as spent some time in STX as a teen, nothing much has changed) and we're pretty damn happy.

Life is what it is. I loved a few of the Hawaiian islands but the COL was too much. We are solar and wind and off the grid so we don't become concerned about electricity, which is a really acute shock to many moving here.

I have never witnessed a crime but we don't go out very much. We're homebodies, work, play and cook/bake at home so we have little reason to go out.

The only reason I dislike STX is because it is a small, rather rural setting. We don't vote here or pay anything other than vehicle, food and home taxes since our other home is in FL. All that said, my blood pressure has never been great until we moved here. We're older and don't need to pursue nightlife outside of our home with our pets.

It certainly isn't for everyone. We have said goodbye to many friends/acquaintances that only enjoyed the island for a few years or so. That part is sad, but the people that we've met that are "bawn here" or have live here for 30 - 40 years are an incredible group of people that really want the community to thrive, live, love.

So I guess, no definitive answer from me, just an opinion.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
The only reason I dislike STX is because it is a small, rather rural setting.
Oddly enough, it was the main thing we did love about it.

We are finding the COL on Big Island to be lower than STX. However, COL on other HI islands is ridiculously high.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 AM

7 posts, read 67,128 times
HiloDiver's negativity has some value. Island living isn't for everyone, your opinion can change, and it can start to close in on you.

The hardest part -is being that far away from loved ones.

Wherever we have lived, "what you don't like about the place" eventually starts to wear on you.

A lot of people have left STX due to the refinery closing, and left UPSET. Nobody likes being forced to move, forced away from their friends and schools. The anger of the situation makes your rose colored glasses turn dark. Makes you less tolerant of everything else you put up with to live on an island.

Having enough money to afford the rock, and frequently get off the rock, is important.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 PM

17 posts, read 83,622 times
Personally have not had any negative or security problems in 7 years we have owned on St Croix.

But if you have spoke to others you have they input as well.

I will say that livestyle will determine the fit with the island.

We have made our home energy efficient and have a very low wapa/electric bill, so that helps alot.

It is just 2 of us so shopping is easier also.

We live out on the east end and prefer boating, fishing, visiting with friends (retired or snowbirds -down on their time off) at our homes, or at a few of our favorite spots. We do not stay out late, except New Year's or Holiday event, so can't speak for that. But we never did in the states either.

There are lots of groups that have day events or early evening activities so that may be part of it. Fishing groups, boating groups power and sail, snorkelers, kayaksers, beach folks, hiking groups, tennis clubs, bridge clubs, trivia groups, dive clubs, a painters group, orchid society, even friendly tournaments and get togethers for darts, billards, etc.

Come down for a long PMV as long as you can and network before you come and really explore while you are here!

Enjoy your adventure!

Old 09-25-2012, 11:20 PM

Island living" is not a problem for us. Spouse lived there 34 years after living on another island. It was also my second island, we now live on yet a third island. We have "never felt closed in" with island living.

Our problem was the never ending corruption, horrific car-ruining roads, lack of availability of sufficient fresh foods, and the increase in crime. The place is a mess, litter everywhere, crumbling buildings downtown, ugh. Having lived on two other islands...that way of life is not necessarily island life, but it sure is the STX way of life. We had a rich and full life full of friends and activities, but in the end, that wasn't enough to keep us there. Oh, and the lack of jobs had a lot to do with it as well. I am very delighted that there are still happy people there. However, for someone contemplating making a move there, there are MANY FAR BETTER CHOICES.

Luckily, we had enough money to move to another island, and we've already built a rich and full life full of new friends and activities here. No litter, no crumbling buildings, no "zombies" accosting us saying "GIMMEDOLLAH".

Last edited by HiloDiver; 09-26-2012 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
However, for someone contemplating making a move there, there are MANY FAR BETTER CHOICES.
Again a negative generalization which is solely your own opinion and one which not everybody shares. It wasn't a fit for you. Leave it at that and express why not but to continually ram home that it's a bad choice for others is assumptive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories