Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,092 times

Advertisements

It would be grossly unfair to not warn others. My opinion is shared by many; the rose colored glasses are harmful to potential new residents. After all, everyone knows that there are many far better choices for island relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
It would be grossly unfair to not warn others. My opinion is shared by many; the rose colored glasses are harmful to potential new residents. After all, everyone knows that there are many far better choices for island relocation.
My response to your similar post covers this as well.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,892 times
well, I was offered a job in ST. Croix (US Virgin Islands). I was actually kind of excited by the idea of relocating, but now after reading all your negativity, I might as well just stay here in LA, CA.
feel free to send me any other advice as a pro/con to moving to STX.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:56 AM

8 posts, read 28,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
My response to your similar post covers this as well.

I too have enjoyed your posts. My daughter and I want to move there in August to STX. Found some great, fully furnished condos for me and my 19 year old to live. For the same price that we pay here in Texas (rent)

We have both wanted a complete lifestyle change and this is our dream. I called a couple of resorts that are walking distance from the condos and both took a lot of time to talk with me about the work situation. They did want me to keep in touch since they are looking for help in the food and beverage area.

We are not looking to get rich, ready to let go some thing that the mainland has to offer, have a budget, and be happy and comfortable.

Please, anyone, if you have any contacts or advice, let me know. This adventure for myself and my daughter is something that I pray and hope can happen.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:57 AM

8 posts, read 28,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californian29 View Post
well, I was offered a job in ST. Croix (US Virgin Islands). I was actually kind of excited by the idea of relocating, but now after reading all your negativity, I might as well just stay here in LA, CA.
What was the job if you don't mind me asking. I'm not looking to take it, but rather possible find mainland companies that need people in St. Croix

Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 PM

43 posts, read 152,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californian29 View Post
It's not that bad here, I've been to LA & there are places I didn't feel comfortable there; here people smile and wave, even in the housing project areas.

I've been here 4 months, it has it's own unique challenges & it's own unique rewards

Old 03-31-2014, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,360 times
Default St Croix

Before moving to Hawaii my husband and I looked at possible retirement options all over the carribean...
including St Thomas and St Croix. Bottom line it isnt safe and there are no amenities or decent health care. It may be a US territory but it isnt like the US. I love the carribean, but the reality is a vacation in the carribean is one thing but living there is another. Hawaii is a state and in my opinion living here is not easy. Its beautiful has perfect weather but again at least on the Big Island no amenities or decent medical and it is safe and nice...we sleep with our doors unlocked..no issues. You see all these tv shows showing how great the carribean is and how housing is reasonable...there is a reason why housing is so high in Hawaii because it is safe and you are likely to not be bothered by anyone. Even Honolulu is safe it isnt even that large of a city. If you want island living move to Hawaii...it may cost more but again it costs more because it is a real state with laws and regulations. I agree with Hilodiver...here is a reason everyone is leaving Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Believe me I lived in the midwest and it is much shorter flight and way less cost to travel to carribean but at the end of the day it just isnt worth it.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:53 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiigirl48 View Post
Before moving to Hawaii my husband and I looked at possible retirement options all over the carribean...
including St Thomas and St Croix. Bottom line it isnt safe and there are no amenities or decent health care. It may be a US territory but it isnt like the US.

Nobody has ever said that it's like a US state and for many of us that's the charm of it. The "isn't safe" issue continues to be way overblown. No amenities? I don't understand that one.

I love the carribean, but the reality is a vacation in the carribean is one thing but living there is another.

Of course it is. No dispute there and never has been.

Hawaii is a state and in my opinion living here is not easy. Its beautiful has perfect weather but again at least on the Big Island no amenities or decent medical and it is safe and nice...we sleep with our doors unlocked..no issues.

I live now in an area of St Thomas where I sleep with my door unlocked and there are several different areas of STT where I've done likewise. In some areas I've locked and barred the doors.

You see all these tv shows showing how great the carribean is and how housing is reasonable...there is a reason why housing is so high in Hawaii because it is safe and you are likely to not be bothered by anyone.

I've never heard or read anything suggesting that housing here is inexpensive - quite the contrary. The logic of any place being safe because the housing prices are high totally eludes me. If that were the case, there would be very little crime at all in the USVI!

Even Honolulu is safe it isnt even that large of a city. If you want island living move to Hawaii...it may cost more but again it costs more because it is a real state with laws and regulations.

It costs more because it's a real state with laws and regulations?

I agree with Hilodiver...here is a reason everyone is leaving Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Believe me I lived in the midwest and it is much shorter flight and way less cost to travel to carribean but at the end of the day it just isnt worth it.
Who comprises the "everyone" leaving PR and the USVI? "It's not worth it" to travel to the USVI? Well, I suppose you're entitled to your opinion but, fortunately for our economy, hundreds of thousands of first-time and repeat visitors every year disagree with your opinion. May I add that your opinion seems to be very much influenced solely by a couple of posters on this forum who indulge in total negativity.

I'm sure Hawaii is a lovely state in which to live and if I chose to move anywhere else I would (as I've always done) go with an open mind and wouldn't compare it to anywhere else nor listen to those who slam the place. I prefer to make up my own mind. This attitude has served me well thus far through two major moves of many thousands of miles and two continents!

Old 04-02-2014, 12:26 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
We lived on STT for 15 years, and, yes, a lot of the "old guard" is gone. Johnny and Shane left, didn't they? To get the kids somewhere safer and cheaper to live. I loved the Virgin Islands, we never had any problems and will cruise back through some day. I miss a lot of old friends. Sure, there's negativity. However, I wouldn't allow my granddaughter to be raised there, and wife couldn't stand not having her around when I moved the kids north and we tried to hang on. The society there can be corrosive due to nepotism, corruption and a cultural sense of abject entitlement. The cost of living is ludicrous, but manageable if you now how. Sounds like you moved to Hull Bay or lower Lerkenlund. Otherwise, let me advise you to lock your door. But the HILODiver post regarding rose colored glasses applies. Many times your posts allude to the vagaries of island life as well, but then it softens and you start pointing at the rest of us who LIVED the underbelly of the V.I. system claiming we're being negative. Would you care to explicate your personal experiences with crime in the Virgin Islands?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:22 PM

300 posts, read 438,403 times
Well well well. I find it interesting that the last three post are authored by folks who have never lived on STX. I, too, have never lived on STX. My comments are based upon extensive travel to both STX and HI for business, and living part or full time on STT for 50 years. My grandfather purchased land and built a modest second home after WWII. My brother and I have managed to keep the STT property in the family, despite the challenges and costs associated with maintaining a property in the tropics.

HI is much more civilized (health care/education/infrastructure/availability of goods and services) and modern and "safe". Not to say that bad hoods are nonexistent, but overall, HI's suburban life is much like stateside suburban life. In contrast, STX and STT are neither " modern" nor "safe" (as defined by stateside standards).

Since Maniac asked for first hand experiences with crime in the VI, here's mine: Four of my good friend's (moms and teachers at my kid's private school) have husbands who were murdered (shot and killed during daylight hours) on ST Thomas. All four of these men were college educated middle class professionals and in no way involved with drugs or shady activities.
The first was kidnapped and murdered after locking up his business for the night.
The second was gunned down in Smith Bay, on the road in front of the sapphire bay condos, in plain sight of bus full of tourist.
The third heard someone screaming for help in his north-side neighborhood (1 pm on sunday afternoon); ran out to offer assistance; was shot while his wife and son looked out the living room window.
The forth was ambushed and assinated while driving home through his "safe north-side neighborhood"--evidently his car and physical description matched a witness at upcoming murder trial.
Since then, two other mom's i know have lost sons. One was murdered in his own home. The thugs even killed his dog. They other was murdered while trying to prevent a robbery at his place of employment. The only people who I have known to be violently attacked or murdered have all lived in the VI.

Maniac alludes to Hull Bay or Lerkenlund as "safe hoods where residents don't lock their doors". This is a due to a strong presence by "close knit ethic clan" with a reputation for "taking care of their own" and a numerous households with numerous dogs (pits). Historically, crime in that area isn't dealt with in normal "stateside" fashion. Vigilante justice is alive and well in the VI. That being, said some areas of STT are more dangerous that others, Smith Bay for example has allot of gang and drug related violent crime. Nazareth and Frenchman's Bay are pretty safe as is the West Side of the Island.

Like Maniac, I moved off island when my kids entered middle school. We returned each summer and were able to keep contact with our friends. I moved back for a time when the kids were away at college, but just couldn't deal with stratification of social groups on the island--the white, know-it-all, loudmouth, bar centric crowd; the white ubber rich EDC folks behind locked gates; the marginalized down islanders who live in poverty; the corrupt generational VIer; and small minority of professional white/WI/Latinos who actually try to cooperate, make a decent professional living and raise healthy kids.

It makes me sad to see the increase in violence, the decay of the islands' infra structure, the over development of STT lovely beaches and the subsequent decay of the aforementioned over development.

Some times I think that folks who haven't set foot off the island in 30 years have lost all prespective and really can't relate to the typical 21st century lifestyles. In my opinion these "island bound" posters suffer from a sort of stockholm syndrome--forcing them to adapt a hyper-defensive attitude and blinding them form truth which surrounds their everyday life.

Last edited by blu4u; 04-21-2014 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories