U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:25 AM

24,671 posts, read 63,082,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4u View Post

Some times I think that folks who haven't set foot off the island in 30 years have lost all prespective and really can't relate to the typical 21st century lifestyles. In my opinion these "island bound" posters suffer from a sort of stockholm syndrome--forcing them to adapt a hyper-defensive attitude and blinding them form truth which surrounds their everyday life.
I don't know of any such "island bound" posters. I do know some "island bound" residents but none who post here. Actually I don't personally know anyone who posts here, not on this particular forum anyway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 07:45 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,892,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4u View Post
Well well well. I find it interesting that the last three post are authored by folks who have never lived on STX. I, too, have never lived on STX. My comments are based upon extensive travel to both STX and HI for business, and living part or full time on STT for 50 years. My grandfather purchased land and built a modest second home after WWII. My brother and I have managed to keep the STT property in the family, despite the challenges and costs associated with maintaining a property in the tropics.

HI is much more civilized (health care/education/infrastructure/availability of goods and services) and modern and "safe". Not to say that bad hoods are nonexistent, but overall, HI's suburban life is much like stateside suburban life. In contrast, STX and STT are neither " modern" nor "safe" (as defined by stateside standards).

Since Maniac asked for first hand experiences with crime in the VI, here's mine: Four of my good friend's (moms and teachers at my kid's private school) have husbands who were murdered (shot and killed during daylight hours) on ST Thomas. All four of these men were college educated middle class professionals and in no way involved with drugs or shady activities.
The first was kidnapped and murdered after locking up his business for the night.
The second was gunned down in Smith Bay, on the road in front of the sapphire bay condos, in plain sight of bus full of tourist.
The third heard someone screaming for help in his north-side neighborhood (1 pm on sunday afternoon); ran out to offer assistance; was shot while his wife and son looked out the living room window.
The forth was ambushed and assinated while driving home through his "safe north-side neighborhood"--evidently his car and physical description matched a witness at upcoming murder trial.
Since then, two other mom's i know have lost sons. One was murdered in his own home. The thugs even killed his dog. They other was murdered while trying to prevent a robbery at his place of employment. The only people who I have known to be violently attacked or murdered have all lived in the VI.

Maniac alludes to Hull Bay or Lerkenlund as "safe hoods where residents don't lock their doors". This is a due to a strong presence by "close knit ethic clan" with a reputation for "taking care of their own" and a numerous households with numerous dogs (pits). Historically, crime in that area isn't dealt with in normal "stateside" fashion. Vigilante justice is alive and well in the VI. That being, said some areas of STT are more dangerous that others, Smith Bay for example has allot of gang and drug related violent crime. Nazareth and Frenchman's Bay are pretty safe as is the West Side of the Island.

Like Maniac, I moved off island when my kids entered middle school. We returned each summer and were able to keep contact with our friends. I moved back for a time when the kids were away at college, but just couldn't deal with stratification of social groups on the island--the white, know-it-all, loudmouth, bar centric crowd; the white ubber rich EDC folks behind locked gates; the marginalized down islanders who live in poverty; the corrupt generational VIer; and small minority of professional white/WI/Latinos who actually try to cooperate, make a decent professional living and raise healthy kids.

It makes me sad to see the increase in violence, the decay of the islands' infra structure, the over development of STT lovely beaches and the subsequent decay of the aforementioned over development.

Some times I think that folks who haven't set foot off the island in 30 years have lost all prespective and really can't relate to the typical 21st century lifestyles. In my opinion these "island bound" posters suffer from a sort of stockholm syndrome--forcing them to adapt a hyper-defensive attitude and blinding them form truth which surrounds their everyday life.
I'm guilty of not having lived on Santa Cruz, but I can tell you without a doubt, those that DO live there, with all its jumbies, wouldn't trade it for STT or STJ. I spent quite a bit of time down there. Otherwise, you've nailed it through and through, especially the "Stockholm syndrome." I found myself making excuses for the foibles of the V.I., some of which are actually criminal in a civilized society. The V.I. is all about selfishness and entitlement, from DeJ all the way down to the 11 year old kid with a .357 demanding your wallet. We never had any problems with anyone other than a couple of police officers - like Enid, who is now doing 10 years, so there is a little justice. You wouldn't think so, with Officer Tapia pulling less than 5, Officer Hill getting less than 2, and in a contemporaneous sentencing with less cocaine involved, an airport baggage handler getting over 10 years. It's all about who you are and who you know. Those on Santa Cruz wouldn't move to STJ or STT for love nor money. I like St. Croix a lot, but living in those islands isn't for everyone. Your "Stockholm syndrome" is spot on. Making excuses for the selfishness and entitlement that leads to violence. I was familiar with some of the people that you point to as murdered. I was in that line of traffic at Sapphire. The man was following a car that had just broke into his house, the driver saw him and the passenger got out, walked up and shot him dead. All over burgled trinkets. No respect for human life whatsoever, just selfish, entitled greed. All that said, we never had a problem, and my 6 year old Frenchie Grandaughter is standing here in the room with me playing fiddle, 2000 miles from where she was born (its school vacation week). And I'm very glad of it. I'll cruise through in a few years, go play horseshoes out to Water Island, down to Coral Bay over to Hull Bay, but I doubt we'll live there again.

Last edited by Maineac; 04-22-2014 at 07:58 AM..

Old 04-22-2014, 12:55 PM

300 posts, read 378,841 times
Main,
Both tapia and hill get to keep their full pensions.
Most of the kids who go off island to school never move home. Shame. The VI needs smart young people. Neither of my kids have any desire to live i the VI. The don't even like visiting anymore. I always thought we saving the STT home for them. Now I'm not so sure.
Bless

Old 04-22-2014, 01:26 PM

That's how it rolls in the V.I. Most recently, one government official was released from Federal Prison and walked straight into a job at WTJX (government run public television). He must've kept his mouth shut. Either Tapia and Hill have given up bigger fish, which I doubt, or they haven't given up bigger fish and this was the result.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Doesn't seem as if they talked. But, somebody definitely talked on them. Look at what top VIPD commander quit several months before the bust. Look at his public resignation statement. Tell me he didn't have a good idea something smelt fishy.
My guess ist that Feds started looking into ranking officers. Taking down the easy prey first. Hoping that after the busts they could presure them to informing on higher government officals, working up the food chain and creating soild grounds for Federal takeover of the police department. But no dice.
IMO, That whole "blue lighting squad" is suspect. Look at how many former ranking officers have dirty records. They should all be "retired" aka fired.
this is not DEA drug smuggling case, but a widespread FBI corpution case. Hill and tapia arenot the kingpins.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 PM

There's something about the V.I. that the Feds won't touch for some reason. I heard a lot of very weird stories, including Iran-Contra tie ins. Murder coverups and on and on. Curious fires in Government offices just before a Governor left office. Buying antiques at the annual Jewish Auction with bags of cash. Lolo fixing people's tax returns for years. Some of the stories come from people that would surprise you. You're right about "justice", and you know what I mean when I say "fishpot" justice. That's why living in Hull Bay, lower St. Peter and Lerkenlund was so safe. We'd know about a break in and who did it within a day. As soon as you go around the bend below Dupont's castle toward Wintberg, or below the tree-in-the-road at Mafolie, all bets are off. Even the lower parking lot at Sibs could be dangerous. 200 yards to the North, no problem.

It just came to me: Tapia and Hill are simply being punished for getting caught.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:28 PM

19 posts, read 58,108 times
Default Take it with a grain of salt

I was on the New Mexico BB. Thinking of retiring there. Hostile would not describe that place because I am from California.

Got a PM saying he knew what was going to happen to me. Death. Really. I called the FBI in ABQ, they answer the phone on one ring, transferred me to Santa Fe. The agent was of the same religion as me. We had a long talk and he said I should not move there. It was the home of Billy the Kid.

This is my 1st post here and the same --not death--but venom is going on here. If you had a bad experience, let it go. My son said I was talking to a 13 year old girl. I don't think so. I am a big guy, like to fight and have roamed Los Angeles for years. Used to go to after hour clubs in Compton.

Go and follow your dreams. The worst thing rarely happens. Price of homes are cheap on Croix compared to LA My wife sells RE. Oregon also has issues with us. There was a sign when I crossed the state line. We shoot Californians. We come up , buy RE, keep the prices up and they pay the tax bill. Really off topic. But the saddest words of --and pen are those it might have been. We will be in St Croix in Dec. My wife is too busy. The real problem is the wealth inequality. I am a doctor in LA. The only place in the world that is more expensive than here is Stockholm Sweden--that's a long story and most of Hawaii.

There are several good MLS on the web for ST Croix. There must have been 15 or so that one could see the sea from their homes, all costing under 500K. Here it is 10 million in Malibu, without a view. My wife customers want 2 of everything, including homes, they come now from Egypt and they completely redue their property. They all make all cash offers. The Banks used to block those sales saying they had no trace where the money came from. Not anymore.

BTW I can not afford Malibu but I used to rent a single on the Beach in Venice of 85 bucks a month--1968. I knew Venice would go like the Malibu but I had no money then. The homes on St. Johns are very expensive and look like rock star pads. Excuse the length. Peace...

Old 05-20-2014, 09:52 AM

If it's just you and your wife, and you've got "street smarts" of any kind and know how to figure out an area, the Virgin Islands could be a great place, St. Croix in particular. You'll have to make your own way and get established in the community, learn the ins and outs of avoiding the melee and drama. We never had a problem, but the V.I. has some major issues. Eyes wide open.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:09 AM

Rikey, your correct about prices for water view homes. Yes compared to malibu/venice/ southbay, ST CROIX is screaming deal. And you don't have to worry about getting stuck on PCH. If you can make it work iterms of employemnt then go for it. The biggest risk is for males 18 to 40.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:45 AM

82 posts, read 90,240 times
Yikes! Should I cancel our tickets for August? Buy a bulletproof vest? Hire a couple of bodyguards? Then again the Caribbean Wild west might be an exciting experience--shootouts in the streets, bank heists, kidnappings in broad daylight--I may invest in a commercial vid cam an shoot "reality" spaghetti western. We plan to post a list of our personal belongings on the door of our lodgings. "Dear Burglars Here is a llist of our stuff. We hove nothing of real value" Crime, anywhere is no joking matter. The police blotter is not lacking here on our island--Long Island, NY. I suspect that because St. Croix is tiny by comparison, that every crime is much more visible and gets magnified into larger size than it would here in NY where crimes is so common they get passed over, placed on page 16 of the newspapers. It really comes down to ones relative perception of what constitutes a safe place to live. Am I more likely to be robbed in Hemsted, NY or Frederiksted, STX. I don't know the answer--yet.
My woman friend and I are hoping the snorkeling will provide excitement and that when we eat in a view restaurant at Cane Bay we are not visited by local banditos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories