Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 PM

12 posts, read 26,556 times

Advertisements

It's more of a cultural thing. I would see everybody washing the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher because they said they didn't think it'll be clean enough. Now every house I've lived in PR since 1974 had a hot water heater so I don't know where aab got his info. There was only one that had an instant on shower head heater because the main heater broke and the landlord didn't want to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 08:09 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,395 times
Try using a dish washer to get the pegao, heavy grease build up and burned beans off the pots. Puerto Ricans may have learned this a long time ago. In addition the cost of water and electricity is another concern. Also Puerto Rican men are used to women washing the dishes so why change now and have a extra water and electricity bill.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:16 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
Modern dishwashers do a pretty good job cleaning dishes, cups, and silverware if used with a decent enzyme-based detergent. And they use less water than doing the dishes by hand. They won't remove the "pegao" though.

We leave the dirty dishes in the dishwasher until it is full, then we run it, usually at the end of the day. The pots and pans are still done by hand.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:14 AM

107 posts, read 301,388 times
Of course there are dishwashers on the island. I've seen more home with than without...I guess it all depends on the unique qualities of the home. Most older homes may not have one, until renovations. Newer homes, normally do.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
I agree that it is cultural. In fact, it's likely the same across the Caribbean. Even when people move to the States, the dishwasher usually ends up being storage for the dishes. LOL.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM

36 posts, read 80,568 times
IMO, it would depend in their location of the island. My wife is from Utuado, and they lose water at least once a week, and sometimes even more depending their location in the 00641. It would be kind of useless with such water supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories