Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 01:22 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,087,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If its culture is to be deluded then it is already happening, its already part of the US. Statehood would not change it. I personally think that it would be very hard to change the culture of PR given the fact that it has a sizeable population. A lot of people from the mainland would have to move there, and even then it would take a long time. You have to remember that often newcomers adopt the culture of their new state, so how long would it take to really ruin PRs Hispanic culture?? PR is part of the United States and it will always have a Hispanic flair, with some mainland influences.

This has always been my point, in order for Puerto Rico's Hispanic culture to be seriously threatened a good 2-3 million Anglos would need to move to the island - something I consider to be rather absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 02:53 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,446,972 times
I still think we should annex cuba. I won't my sugarcane plantation. Communists don't know what to do with that island.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:51 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,087,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I still think we should annex cuba. I won't my sugarcane plantation. Communists don't know what to do with that island.
Until last December it looked like we would have no choice following the power vacuum that would have erupted after the Castro inevitably regime fell ... but Obama decided to throw them a lifeline and thus allowing Raul to hand-off power to a picked successor in 2018.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 PM

688 posts, read 1,114,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Question(s): Do residents of the USVIs pay federal income taxes? Do they pay into Social Security? Does the USVI have a local "state" income tax?
Anyone?

Old 08-27-2015, 05:49 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,392,256 times
What they really should do is put all these places--PR, Guam, and whatever else the US owns, I can't remember--into one system, like the EU. And they can have one currency, one economy.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:21 AM

811 posts, read 1,141,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Question(s): Do residents of the USVIs pay federal income taxes? Do they pay into Social Security? Does the USVI have a local "state" income tax?

If all of your income is made through employment from a USVI company (you receive a w-2 that shows VI withholding, as opposed to "federal withholding"), then you file USVI income taxes only (the territory's equivalent to federal income taxes). If your income is split (U.S. and USVI), you will likely need to file both U.S. federal income taxes and VI taxes. Yes, you pay into SS either way. USVI taxes are not broken down into "states." All islands file under one, USVI income tax return.

If you file VI tax returns and are owed a refund, good luck. Many of us haven't seen it come our way, years later. Try to get your withholding to match up properly or not get pulled out with paychecks if possible.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:56 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,195,572 times
That's funny! I know someone that has a $4,000 refund check from 1998 framed hanging on the wall from the V.I. government IRB. They'd already received one and cashed it, and figured the better part of keeping clean . . .

The V.I. is a "mirror" system, exactly like the U.S. Form 1040, etc., except you file with the IRB in the V.I. Like she say, Social Security (medicare, etc.) withholding STILL all goes stateside, as do the SE taxes. If you're an employee, with withholding, the employer takes care of the Stateside stuff. That's where people screw up when self employed. Give it all to the V.I. and you'll never see it again, and the IRS stateside doesn't care. You still owe it, and they don't care you already paid it to the crooks at the IRB. The last IRB Commissioner is now doing a Federal stretch and was just convicted of Territorial corruption charges in Superior Court.

There's an IRS reporting form you are supposed to file when you move to or from the V.I., or any Territory, subject to a (used to be) $1000 fine for failure to report. Can't remember the number . . . there, form 8898. Never heard of anyone being fined. Forget about asking the IRS or your accountant any questions. You call the IRS and they, like most Americans, don't even know the V.I. is U.S.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:23 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,660,365 times
the USVI are great for a vacation in the winter, but for statehood?
No, thanks.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:29 AM

811 posts, read 1,141,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
That's funny! I know someone that has a $4,000 refund check from 1998 framed hanging on the wall from the V.I. government IRB. They'd already received one and cashed it, and figured the better part of keeping clean . . .
LOL! This sounds about right... Some get nothing, others get double. USVI: Logic need not apply.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 PM

10,223 posts, read 16,775,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Falcon View Post
What they really should do is put all these places--PR, Guam, and whatever else the US owns, I can't remember--into one system, like the EU. And they can have one currency, one economy.
like the United States?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories