Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 03:34 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,284 times

Advertisements

PR does it better again...

Asaltan a turistas en El Yunque a punta de cuchillo - El Nuevo Día

(Sorry, too long to translate and I don't trust the current translators online which make a mess with the syntax. Basically three tourists were assaulted by knife one of them was injured and disappeared for a while but are all alright. I guess they will be fleeing the island of enfrightenment soon enough.)

Last edited by espizarro; 02-16-2013 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
PR does it better again...

Asaltan a turistas en El Yunque a punta de cuchillo - El Nuevo Día

(Sorry, too long to translate and I don't trust the current translators online which make a mess with the syntax. Basically three tourists were assaulted by knife one of them was injured and disappeared for a while but are all alright. I guess they will be fleeing the island of enfrightenment soon enough.)

It is happening in the USA, and has happened before. And not very far from Tampa.....

Sarasota murder: Shawn Tyson found guilty of murdering British tourists - Telegraph

Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,284 times
This stuff can happen everywhere. But murders in PR are way out of control. Tampa Bay does not have 1/10 of the amount of murders in PR per year. 900-1000 murders in a 100 x 35 island of 3.5 millions is totally unacceptable.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 AM

199 posts, read 365,715 times
You're so right, espizarro. Puerto Rico is BAAAD. Not good for you. Reinforce this for all your fellow Boricua Bashers and assimilated Neoricans. Puerto Rico, stay AWAAAAY. No need to come here, too crowded and full of bad people. Tell your stateside-bred kids not to entertain thoughts of squatting here, we have cannibals and there is no work for them; and please, take some of the angry kids with death wishes and crybabies with you, they'd be better off hawking EBT cards in Orlando. Better yet, take the entire Puerto Rico state legislature, they're really good with words and will sell anything you pay them to, I believe they'd be right at home in Washington. Us older backward hicks can stay here when you empty the island out, don't worry, we'll be FIIINE.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,684 times
Its very rare that tourists are attacked in Puerto Rico, but it happens. Like someone mentioned before, it also happens stateside. It's true that PR has a high murder rate, however by the postings of some here one would imagine that there are shoot outs right and left, more like the civil war in Syria. Like in most places of the U.S. some violence is more, some less.

The murder rate on the island is tied to the drug trade, with outrageous rub outs in public places. If one looks at the folks involved most are poor folks, from housing projects with a few middle class drug king pins here and there. It's sad that "Sometimes" ( rarely) someone gets caught in the cross fire. The island news papers thrive on hysteria because thats the way they get people to buy papers. TV stations also get ratings by reporting the most gruesome crimes. In the US poor folks get their thrills by watching the 6 O'clock news that is mainly filled with crime, most of it minority crime.

Its very sad that this happens, but I think the most outrageous things tourists should complain about is how hotels are ripping them off with service fees as high as 18% plus 8% tax. They also add an extra fee for the daily cleanup crew and the bell hop, need it or not. It's surprising tourists still go to Puerto Rico, but they do.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:30 PM

25 posts, read 194,950 times
The murders are very out of control at this point. That being said there are still plenty of safe places to live and visit here in pr. I avoid the big cities especially at night. I enjoy Ponce, Mayaguez and Aguadilla. Just make sure you don't get lost in a rough neighborhood at night. Cabo Rojo Rincon and Aguada are extremely safe. Some of my friends here both American and rican called them boring. I love it. I'm kind of a beach bum and a bit of a hill billy tho. A little bit of situational awareness goes along way on the island.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:42 PM

10,084 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Crime rates don't really affect visitors. This is true in Puerto Rico as it is everywhere else. Its the locals that have to live with that reality, because their chance of being a victim of crime is much higher than that of a tourist for the simple reason that the longer a person spends in a high crime area, the greater the risk something will happen to them. If you live in a high crime area, then guess what? Those 12 months of every year that you spend in your high crime area makes it much more likely that you will be a victim of crime than that tourist that spends 5 days in San Juan and its vicinity.

There are plenty of dangerous cities in the USA that receive many tourists. Look at Miami (its crime reputation is not so good) and its still one of the top vacation spots in the USA. Orlando is now one of the most dangerous cities and you don't see tourists not visiting the place. The only thing that has dampen Orlando's tourism is the economic crisis, that's it. Chicago isn't peachy either and yet many people visit that city.

I don't see why Puerto Rico will be any different.

How many tourists visit PR every year? 2 million? 3 million?

How many are victims of crime? I don't know the number, but I will be shocked if it surpasses 50.

Tourists should take the normal precautions as anywhere else and have fun!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 AM

107 posts, read 301,468 times
You have to be careful anywhere in the world that you go. Crime does not discriminate nor stay in one location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories