Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 AM

666 posts, read 1,291,443 times

Advertisements

I am going to be broader here so please don't close this thread.

I have already described the geographical beauty of my island, and that is never going to change. Well at leasy while the island stands where it is and does not suffer a physical change due to unpredicted circumstances.

But everything else... The politics, the society, the government, social issues, intolerance, crime... It stinks. Yesterday a woman who was in a gas station was kidnapped and killed, I mean the violence is basically turning the tropical paradise into a criminal inferno in which people are not safe ANYWHERE.

I think even "quiet" island Culebra finally saw its first murder in many years when a woman was found dead near a pier close to the seaport. Although it is still not known what caused the death but it looks like murder.

The west is also losing its status as a safe place. It is still low, but things are not looking good for the west coast.

San Juan, Caguas and the metro area is unbelievably dangerous, with San Juan reporting about 3 murders DAILY.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 PM

10,089 posts, read 14,959,511 times
How many people die every year in Puerto Rico? I want the full figure, including those that die "naturally."

What percentage of those deaths is due to crime?

What's the current population of Puerto Rico?

Based on those figures, it should be easy to figure out if the probability of being a mortal victim of crime in PR is greater than a natural death. With this, we can put to rest whether your cause for concern is justified or if its nothing more than pessimism.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
How many people die every year in Puerto Rico? I want the full figure, including those that die "naturally."

What percentage of those deaths is due to crime?

What's the current population of Puerto Rico?

Based on those figures, it should be easy to figure out if the probability of being a mortal victim of crime in PR is greater than a natural death. With this, we can put to rest whether your cause for concern is justified or if its nothing more than pessimism.
Pessimism?

Read the news. See it for yourself. PR is a mess.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM

10,089 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Pessimism?

I want the numbers before I make up my mind. There are plenty of studies that show how the media distorts people's perception of things by overblowing the negatives. I'm not saying things in PR are not bad, but I am wondering just how bad it is and no amount of reading the news will give me an accurate and unbiased opinion. I need to see the numbers I asked for.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:05 PM

355 posts, read 716,959 times
Antonio 84 - the information you are asking for is readily available on the internet.

According to FBI statistics the number of murders in 2011 was 1136 or 30.6 per 100,000 in population. 2012 data from the FBI doesn't seem to be posted yet.

The link below has this and other crime statistics for PR at the bottom of the page.

FBI — Table 4

Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times
Quote:
Pessimism?

Can you elaborate more when you state that PR is a mess. What is causing this mess? Is it the infiltration of people from Santo Domingo, or the infiltration of Mexicans? Is it unemployment? Is it the drug cartels from Mexico that have taken it over? Is it a combination of all of the above?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Can you elaborate more when you state that PR is a mess. What is causing this mess? Is it the infiltration of people from Santo Domingo, or the infiltration of Mexicans? Is it unemployment? Is it the drug cartels from Mexico that have taken it over? Is it a combination of all of the above?
A combination of the above and much more.

Some of the mess can also be attributed to the overall coming mess of the economy here in the States, though. But there is a serious spirit of "I don't care" in many people. Hypocrisy is fierce. Pedophiles and child molesters are arrested in a weekly basis yet Christians prefer to make a protest (200,000 people!) against gay rights. Government is looking forward to privatize everything. There is simply to limits to the disaster. An elder man was (yet again) beaten by burglars in the west town of Aguada. The west is getting really bad fast. The west used to be a generally peaceful area but crime is rampaging across the entire island. It is not fair! Also, it is not only the inflitration of drugs from other Latin American countries or the entrance of other foreigners, the majority of people causing problems are Puerto Ricans themselves, I would say about the great majority, a 95% of problems, are due to Puerto Ricans who still want to live off government, many who are born in the island or some even come from NYC and Orlando.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:51 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Espizzaro sounds like the typical disconnected Boricua (dare I say, jibaro maybe? You sure talk about the west a lot) that thinks the apocalypse has come to Puerto Rico. Most of my family live in the working class areas of Carolina and San Juan, nobody has been a victim of crime in my family, ever. Can't say the same where I live, I had a gun pulled on me before (in the quiet suburbs), never happened in the hellhole in PR, especially in my old neighborhood.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Espizzaro sounds like the typical disconnected Boricua (dare I say, jibaro maybe? You sure talk about the west a lot) that thinks the apocalypse has come to Puerto Rico. Most of my family live in the working class areas of Carolina and San Juan, nobody has been a victim of crime in my family, ever. Can't say the same where I live, I had a gun pulled on me before (in the quiet suburbs), never happened in the hellhole in PR, especially in my old neighborhood.
LOL, so you think that because your family has not been a victim of crime then it is safe? This is what I am concerned about, people. Some people don't care until they live the experience themselves. Crime can happen anywhere. But in Metro San Juan is much more possible than in the U.S. except NOLA and Detroit.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times
Quote:
A combination of the above and much more.

Some of the mess can also be attributed to the overall coming mess of the economy here in the States, though. But there is a serious spirit of "I don't care" in many people. Hypocrisy is fierce. Pedophiles and child molesters are arrested in a weekly basis yet Christians prefer to make a protest (200,000 people!) against gay rights. Government is looking forward to privatize everything. There is simply to limits to the disaster. An elder man was (yet again) beaten by burglars in the west town of Aguada. The west is getting really bad fast. The west used to be a generally peaceful area but crime is rampaging across the entire island. It is not fair! Also, it is not only the inflitration of drugs from other Latin American countries or the entrance of other foreigners, the majority of people causing problems are Puerto Ricans themselves, I would say about the great majority, a 95% of problems, are due to Puerto Ricans who still want to live off government, many who are born in the island or some even come from NYC and Orlando.
Please see the entry I just posted: By privatizing most of the Island, it forces those people who want to continue living off the government to get their act together, and openly compet with the Puerto Ricans that want to work and succeed.

Some Puerto Ricans have a poor work ethic, and maybe this is what they need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories