Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:57 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times

Advertisements

My nephew (19) was shot down in Old TuTu in St. Thomas USVI 2005 on the basketball court because he was speaking to a girl that another boy was friends with. Shot in the face..riddled with bullets. His name was Khalid Antonio Sonny. This happened on Feb 24th.... his birthday. (link to
article: http://stjohnsource.com/content/news...homicides-2005)

(Weeping) There's still no justice for him! His mother (my sister) died a year within her son's passing..died from a heart attack and stress. Died grieving for her son and his killer to be brought to justice. There was a suspect in his shooting.."but he slipped" out of the grasps of the VIPD and was allowed to leave the island and flee to California (was the latest word on the street). I have called and called and no answer was given me TO DATE about this alleged fugitive and anything being done to secure his capture. Last call made this morning. I'm still grieving.....can't stop, I need closure; justice for my sister. This place is nothing like it use to be when I left there over 20 years ago, absolutely NOTHING!

They're killing each other down there like lives of another individual has no value; as if they're "leaves falling from a tree". How do I go about seeking justice for my nephew when corruption is rampant down there? Where does one go? To whom do I turn? I'm so troubled, restless in my spirit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
First of all, did a USVI judge issue a warrant for the arrest of the shooter? If so then he is now a fugitive and can be detained by law enforcement in California.

The NYPD, US Marshals, FBI, etc arrest fugitives from Puerto Rico here in New York on a regular basis. Likewise fugitives from New York have been caught in Puerto Rico.

Crime in the American Caribbean (Puerto Rico and the USVI) is at an all time high and corruption in the local law enforcement agencies and judicial systems is a major factor.

If you get nowhere with the USVI officials then I would suggest contacting the US Deputy Secretary of the Interior for Insular Affairs or the USVI Congressional Delegate Donna Christensen.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:16 PM

Don't know where to begin.... my sister passed with all the information attached to his case. I have no Case number and the VIPD are telling me that I need one.. that his "name is not enough". I'm not local. They're telling me (and I spoke with more than one defective) that I need a case number otherwise there's no way to pull up his case since everything is done manually down there.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:39 PM

355 posts, read 716,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
My nephew (19) was shot down in Old TuTu in St. Thomas USVI 2005 on the basketball court because he was speaking to a girl that another boy was friends with. Shot in the face..riddled with bullets. His name was Khalid Antonio Sonny. This happened on Feb 24th.... his birthday. (link to
article: http://stjohnsource.com/content/news...homicides-2005)
(7) Territory
Date of death: March 8
Khalid Antonia Gumbs, a 19-year-old Oswald Harris Court man, was shot in the face and several times about his body on Feb. 24. He was found on a street in Old Tutu. He was transported to the Roy L. Schneider Hospital where he was placed on life support. Gumbs died two weeks later.

The above info is from your link. I would suggest that you first contact the primary law enforcement agency for this area and ask to speak to the officer who oversees the homicide division. This person could easily look up the case number you need. If you do not get cooperation from within the police department I would next contact the district attorneys office with the same request. Next I would suggest contacting the FBI office for the area which I believe is based out of San Juan PR. Most likely there is a satellite office in the USVI but start with the main office in SJ. If the crime has been swept under the carpet by the local jurisdiction often they can bring things back into the light. If this person has fled to the mainland, once a judge has issued an warrant the FBI will facilitate getting the warrant into the nationwide NCIC system. Before you make any contact with any of these agencies do your best to get the pertinent facts in order, names, places, dates etc..

http://www.vipd.gov.vi/Departments/O...on_Bureau.aspx

FBI — Territory/Jurisdiction

Old 02-26-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
(7) Territory
Date of death: March 8
Khalid Antonia Gumbs, a 19-year-old Oswald Harris Court man, was shot in the face and several times about his body on Feb. 24. He was found on a street in Old Tutu. He was transported to the Roy L. Schneider Hospital where he was placed on life support. Gumbs died two weeks later.

The above info is from your link. I would suggest that you first contact the primary law enforcement agency for this area and ask to speak to the officer who oversees the homicide division. This person could easily look up the case number you need. If you do not get cooperation from within the police department I would next contact the district attorneys office with the same request. Next I would suggest contacting the FBI office for the area which I believe is based out of San Juan PR. Most likely there is a satellite office in the USVI but start with the main office in SJ. If the crime has been swept under the carpet by the local jurisdiction often they can bring things back into the light. If this person has fled to the mainland, once a judge has issued an warrant the FBI will facilitate getting the warrant into the nationwide NCIC system. Before you make any contact with any of these agencies do your best to get the pertinent facts in order, names, places, dates etc..

Criminal Investigation Bureau

FBI — Territory/Jurisdiction
I will, I will do this tomorrow and won't stop until I get answers. Appreciate you taking the time to help. God Bless. (smiling today). There is hope...

Old 03-18-2013, 04:24 PM

Default Still calling...

relentlessly..... not giving up.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
relentlessly..... not giving up.
Did you speak to the FBI resident agent in St. Thomas?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 PM

Sent numerous emails. will be patient then the calls will begin. thank you for asking.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
This is a bit out of the ordinary, but it might be worth the effort.
Contact priests and/or ministers and tell them the story.
One may inquire with the police and they may be your best emissary or ombudsman.
It's worth a try when all else fails.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 PM

Thank you, I'll try any avenue that will bring justice for my sister and nephew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories