Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,746 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, this is my first post on this forum so I'll give you a little of my background to help you get an idea of me. I'm from a small city of 14,000 in Minnesota. I'm married and 32 years old. My wife is from the Philippines and I've been there 5 times. I lived in Hawaii twice and love island life (Oahu & Big Island, didn't like Oahu so much but still way better than Minnesota of course lol). I tend to love the rural areas and outdoor lifestyle, especially the beach and water activities. I'm pretty fast at adjusting to cultures. Besides Hawaii and the Philippines I've traveled to Japan, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico and every state but Alaska.

I've read so many posts about USVI complaining about violent crime, theft and racism (I'm white). In my experience traveling I always see extremely negative things being said about just about any destination I've been too and have only experienced a very tiny minor amount of racism which was nothing. I think with a respectful and open minded attitude while keeping your eyes open and listening to your gut then things should work out ok and always have for me. Is USVI really any different? I know that statistics don't lie and the problems are there, but if you have common sense and a respectful attitude are you still likely to have trouble? I'm not going to hold it against every local on the island if I experience racism or something from a few. Living in between two native american Indian reservations most of my life I'm pretty used to hearing racist comments between our two cultures and sometimes directed at me, but I still have lots of respect for natives and have lots of native friends and have dated a couple of native girls in the past. I seem to get a long with other cultures of all kinds almost better than my own because I'm much more interested in anything foreign to me. I don't drink anymore now that I'm married and never go out at night so I can't imagine how much of a safety concern I could have in VI.

I love island life way more than any other way of life. I'm going crazy here with no ocean or beach and with the cold weather and lack of culture. Really all I do is work 12 hours a day 5 days a week and then sleep and spend the weekend mostly at home because my friends live on their computer here I swear. I really want to break free from mainland life again and get back to living. I know you have to hustle and work hard to afford it and I'm ok with it and pretty used to it here as well to afford an expensive house I thought might keep me happy enough to stay in Minnesota lol.

As far as work goes I'm a forklift operator for a busy manufacturing company (I know I won't find that job on any island) here, but have 6 years of carpentry experience and 3 years of cabinetry experience. I did cabinetry on Oahu and the Big Island. Is there much opportunity for cabinet makers or carpenters there? I've been out of carpentry for almost a decade, but wouldn't mind at all going back into it if I was giving a chance. If I could do some sort of work with boating I would be in heaven, but I have no experience besides about 10 books on sailing that I haven't had a chance to put to use yet. Just dreaming.

I plan to do a pre-move visit to play it safe but I might not if the job opportunities aren't horrible. Puerto Rico was actually a pre-move that I decided not to go through with because the job prospects looked scarce and I don't Spanish which the locals told me is kind of a necessity. I did make a lot of friends in a short time there. I was really surprised how welcoming and generous everyone was. I got lost in a sketchy San Juan neighborhood that was like a maze because the road was too narrow for two cars and nowhere to turn around and I kept getting deeper and deeper into it until I had no idea how to get out anymore. I started noticing people looked shocked to see me there so I no choice left but to trust my gut and stop to ask someone to help me get going in the right direction. The man I talked to was so shocked to see me and said it's not safe and I gotta get out of there. He went and got his two daughters and had them drive their car in front of me not only out of the bad area but all the way from San Juan to Fajardo! Once we got there they wouldn't accept money for gas or anything! It's one of the kindest things I ever experienced on my travels. Before I went there all I kept hearing is the traffic is twice as bad as NYC and the crime is 4 times as bad lol. In the Philippines I was told I would but shot or kidnapped for being white in Mindanao, but found some of the nicest and friendliest people I've ever known. I guess what I'm trying to get to is I hope that's what VI is like where the chance for problems are there but the common person is friendly like Puerto Rican's and Filipino's?

If you're wondering why I leave Hawaii.. The first time I just didn't think it through good enough. I came with my brother and he hated Hawaii and ditched me lol, but I decided to stay alone since I already was making friends and loving the island so I moved in with some friends/coworkers. Everything was going perfect. We all had good jobs and no problems until our 47 year old roommate which we thought was a smart move because of his age and work ethic ended up having a wild night of drinking and ended up in jail and lost his job lol. Then shortly later my other roommate decided to go back to Michigan and I was on my own again and already moved 3 times because of people leaving and everyone back home kept trying to talk me into coming back and I gave in regretting it ever since.

The second time I was on Oahu and it was working out ok. I got the interest of the manager at the Waikiki Yacht Club and kept turning down good jobs offers in cabinetry and a good paying sales job. So I kind of burnt my bridges a little bit trying to get the yacht club job for my dream of sailing which never went through and ended up taking a lower paying cabinetry job with a long commute, but still I was surviving just fine. I kept in touch with a girl from the Philippines I had met 3 years ago and it turned into a long distance relationship. Living in Hawaii there's no way I could afford visiting her and my boss would only let me go see her 1 week a year which is crazy. I knew I could go back to my forklift job in Minnesota that pays a lot and they let me travel pretty much as often as I want. So I did what I had to do to make my relationship work out and went back here and visited her 4 times in the last year and a half and got married. Now she's here and I want to get back to island life. I hoped having a beautiful loving wife and a big house would be enough to keep me happy in Minnesota but nope, islands have been my things since I was a child and I can't get it out of me.

Sorry for rambling on like this. I just wanted to give a little of my background to help you determine if you think I would have any problems in STJ, STC or STT which I doubt I would but I never seen so many negative posts about a destination before other than the Philippines (which is awesome btw). Please let me know if USVI seems like a place that could work for me. My parents are considering retiring in the south and USVI would be more ideal for visiting family than Hawaii. Also does anyone know of any cabinet maker jobs or carpenter jobs? I have a solid work history and refrences from all of my past employers and will give my best effort in my work.

If you read through all of that thank you very much! Mahalo!
Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 04:05 AM

737 posts, read 2,586,818 times
Yep, check Craiglist everyday looking for a good cabinet maker-contractor for my kitchen and bath re-do's. There is work but you've got to be established... a lot of of us have paid for materials and never got the work done. That is my sentiment for STX. Maybe STT or STJ would be better, but I don't know. Cheers and luck!

Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
You might go to the VIMovingCenter where apart from a forum you'll find a ton of general information about living in the SVI.

St John is the most expensive island on which to live, followed by St Thomas and then St Croix. Unemployment on STT/STJ right now is over 10% and on St Croix over 14%. Our electricity rate is the highest under the US flag at currently 0.50/kWh and obviously drives up the cost of everything.

Moving here entails a sizeable investment and it's virtually impossible to find employment unless you're physically here. You can't get around without a vehicle and most couples find it hard to juggle one vehicle between two people!

Anyway, make the PMV and do the research on VIMovingCenter. Good luck!

Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
I've been to both and other than the weather I do not think there is any choice but Hawaii...one advantage, the taxes are cheaper in the USVI....

My wife and I were married on St Croix and spent a week and a half there...on our shopping trips into town, the jeweler's would tell us to keep our purchases buried and not take it out until we arrived back in our hotel. The judge that married us told us to keep a small amount of cash in one pocket in the event that we were robbed...this way would could give them a little instead of alot...she also told us to walk in groups after dark...cab driver's charge an extra $50 after 10PM...but just my experiences...

Hawaii on the other hand I have been to many times...I love it there...but after living there for a few months a realized I could not retire there unless I was willing to work for the rest of my life...

Old 04-14-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
I've been to both and other than the weather I do not think there is any choice but Hawaii...one advantage, the taxes are cheaper in the USVI....

Our income tax rate is identical to that in the US. The only difference is that although we file on the same forms, the money is kept within the territory through a deal with the US Treasury Department. We have no state or sales taxes here.

My wife and I were married on St Croix and spent a week and a half there...on our shopping trips into town, the jeweler's would tell us to keep our purchases buried and not take it out until we arrived back in our hotel. The judge that married us told us to keep a small amount of cash in one pocket in the event that we were robbed...this way would could give them a little instead of alot...she also told us to walk in groups after dark...cab driver's charge an extra $50 after 10PM...but just my experiences...

Being aware of your surroundings and not traveling with a large amount of cash or wearing flashy jewelry is simple and time-honored advice wherever you travel throughout the world. Taxi rates are regulated and there is no such thing as an "extra $50 after 10PM".

Hawaii on the other hand I have been to many times...I love it there...but after living there for a few months a realized I could not retire there unless I was willing to work for the rest of my life...
Nor can one retire easily in the USVI if one has no resource other than such as social security. The COL is very high here. Also this is not the best place for retirees who need extensive medical care.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:22 PM

15 posts, read 69,957 times
Island life is, as you may already know, different from Island to Island. St. Croix (I lived there right after the "Fountain Valley" incident unbeknownst to me. Without a car, it gets very difficult to get to and from work as well as the shopping. You couldn't pay me to live in St. Croix again.
I LOVED St. Thomas. I worked in a print shop during the day and bartended at night. I never had any troubles with crime, and made sure I didn't tick off the local police, as the laws are written in pencil. My boss allowed me use of his car, which probably made me like St. Thomas better. The COL is through the roof on St. Thomas. St Croix would e the cheapest. St. John has no grocery stores so if you could find a rare place to rent on the island, you'd have to ferry to the store along with finding a cab from the ferry drop to the store and then reverse.
You asked about the job situation. If you haven't a lead or are hired prior to arriving, it is near impossible as they favor locals and prefer families that are known. VERY BUBBA SYSTEM!

Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 PM

^^^ Fountain Valley was in 1972! St John may not have had grocery stores back then but it most certainly does now. Doubt you'd recognize Cruz Bay today. You'd have a very hard time finding your way around St Thomas today in comparison to back then ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories