U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 04:39 PM

43 posts, read 95,684 times

Advertisements

My husband may have an opportunity to transfer to St.Thomas in the near future. I keep reading how expensive everything is, so it worries me a bit to say yes. What would you say is the bare minimum income required for a family of four? It it possible to live ok on about $80K a year or am I being unrealistic? I would not have a car payment and would only require a 3 bedroom place.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,972,813 times
Read the papers, understand the culture, stay out of "bad" areas. Keep left. Terrible place to raise kids without substantial funds. Private school is mandatory. Electric rates approaching $0.60/kwh (which includes the "LEAC") vs. $0.10-$0.20 stateside. Fuel high. All food shipped in, very high priced. Crime high. Entitlement attitude pervades the populous. Not government entitlements, but "entitled" to anything you can get, no matter how you get it or who gets hurt. Very, very corrupt political system. Childless couples that can adapt seem to do best. It's an adventure, but many, many people don't make it 6 months. You'd be best off going down for a "month visit" beforehand and try to blend in. Rent a unit at sapphire. Best place to rent long term is Northside/Hull Bay (safer, generally quiet, cooler, living with the Frenchies), but for 3br. you're starting at $1,600/mo. Best rents are found not through the newspapers, but driving around looking for "for rent" signs. Expect to be scrutinized. We enjoyed 15 years of it, but I spent a pile of money moving my son and his family out for better opportunities, and Nana couldn't handle being away from grandchildren. I don't see us returning for a long, long time. Not with such a big world out there. The V.I. can wear you out, but it took 15 years for it to get old for us. BUT, if it's a Federal job, the Feds in the V.I. ALL of them, get a tax-free 25% cost of living allowance that nobody else gets (along with all the other benefits).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories