U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:52 PM

24,671 posts, read 60,641,599 times

Advertisements

Probably the best advice to give you is to go to Guam on a "pre-move visit." You came onto this forum to seek information but have found not much because this is a new forum. The Puerto Rico issues seem to be most popular so far!

I don't know if Guam has the active local forums such as the US Virgin Islands have but the bottom line with potential relocators to the USVI is, "Read the moving stories, read the posts and do a PMV!"

Moving to a US island territory outside the mainland bears little relationship to moving from one mainland state to another. I have no doubt that the attrition rate of newbies going to Guam is less than those who converge on the USVI every year BUT maybe because there might just be less opportunity there? Do your research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 01:51 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,280,180 times
Don't they have creepi-crawlies there? I heard about GIANT snails that slime their way up the side of a house? EEEEWWWWWW!
Please tell me I am wrong!

Love, Shanny

Old 11-22-2007, 07:32 AM

18,696 posts, read 37,330,356 times
I've been there on several occasions. Yes, it's true about snails.

When the rains start, the snails are so thick they cross the roads in a herd. When you get to them with your car you have to slow down because as you drive across them it gets very slippery. No fooling!

As far as Giant Snails, didn't see anything bigger then maybe a quarter.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:09 PM

8 posts, read 28,511 times
I lived in Guam from 1987-1990 & loved it, though, it is quite an adjustment. When it rains, it pours in buckets for about 5 minutes & then it stops...

Get used to small Geckos (lizards) in your residence all the time, after it rains, the roads get really slick....

Things are expensive, but, the lifestyle is cheap...

If you love water sports, you will be in heaven, if you hate the ocean, don't go, or learn to adjust.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:26 AM

6 posts, read 45,612 times
Default Guam, a paradise where America's day begins

I moved to Guam little over 1o years ago and love its awesome beauty and friendly people. I'm Chicago born and raised. Midnight Mike says it right. Unless you are military and can take MAC flights, I advise keeping a $3k travel slush fund so you know you can return to the states anytime, although airfares can be much less, this is 'i gotta get outta here today' prices RT. In addition to the ocean activities (scuba, snorkle, search for the spanish galleons, watch dolphins/whales/sea turtles etc., spearfish in the coral reefs, windsurf, kyak, outrigger paddling), there are rugged boonie stomps (jungle hikes) to beautiful waterfalls and such. Regular triaths and other sporting events, including rugby. Great travel point to Japan, China,Thailand, Philippines and other interesting points in Malaysia, Bali etc. Great shopping there! Other info:

1. Yes, the snails here are huge. That makes them a curiousity or gross depending on your POV.

2. Yes, there are brown tree snakes, but they look like long garden snakes, skinny and green and largely non-poisonous unless you are a puppy or infant. You aren't likely to see many but, yes, they can crawl into your toilet if you live next to a jungle and are dumb enough to leave an uncovered stack pipe on your roof.

3. JObs vary in pay. Federal Civil Service are best usually with 25% COLA added. Base shopping privileges if you can get them means you pay cheaper prices at BX etc. Even so, if you have a military card, local places give discounts. Local jobs are available, especially if you have teaching or other professional credentials.

4. Geckos are quite cute and eat nasty things that may find their way into your home, although nasty things tend to stay outside here.

5. It will take you about a day to get here no matter your route, so if you come on a looksee make it for a couple weeks min. February/March are PERFECT weather months.

Any more questions?

Old 12-18-2007, 02:10 PM

15 posts, read 84,757 times
Moving to Guam from the U.S.V.I. (thank god, hate this third world country "sorry sam I am"). How big is the threat of tsunami and does Guam have a good warning system in place? Any info would be a great help.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:47 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,651,449 times
No need to apologize, but DM me - apparently we know each other.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:00 PM

Default To ATLARGECRB

Hmm, from USVI? Guam may still seem 3rd world to you. We do have the world's largest Home Depot (brand new), a Ruby Tuesday (also new), and a K-mart that carries duty free Ann Klein etc. Ross dress for less and Macy's. We also have Sam Choy's, Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe, Gucci, Cartier, LV, etc. But no Wal-Mart or Olive Garden, might tip the scales for you.

No real threat of tsunami. There is a warning system in place, but in truth its like the village mayors down south (where many houses are right on the beach) go out and knock on the doors. In 10 years I've been here, I think we've had alerts 2-3 times, but no actual warning. The island is surrounded by coral reef so beachfront property, for the most part, sits on a 'lagoon' (i.e. no heavy wave action on the beaches). We also sit on the Marianas Trench, the deepest known in the world, so allegedly tsunami wall would go around, rather than over, the island. Seems to be true because, so far as I know, there is no recorded history of any and the island became occupied by Spain over 400 years ago.

Typhoons are another story but there is plenty warning for them.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:07 PM

15 posts, read 84,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonguam View Post
Hmm, from USVI? Guam may still seem 3rd world to you. We do have the world's largest Home Depot (brand new), a Ruby Tuesday (also new), and a K-mart that carries duty free Ann Klein etc. Ross dress for less and Macy's. We also have Sam Choy's, Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe, Gucci, Cartier, LV, etc. But no Wal-Mart or Olive Garden, might tip the scales for you.

No real threat of tsunami. There is a warning system in place, but in truth its like the village mayors down south (where many houses are right on the beach) go out and knock on the doors. In 10 years I've been here, I think we've had alerts 2-3 times, but no actual warning. The island is surrounded by coral reef so beachfront property, for the most part, sits on a 'lagoon' (i.e. no heavy wave action on the beaches). We also sit on the Marianas Trench, the deepest known in the world, so allegedly tsunami wall would go around, rather than over, the island. Seems to be true because, so far as I know, there is no recorded history of any and the island became occupied by Spain over 400 years ago.

Typhoons are another story but there is plenty warning for them.
the U.S.V.I. is the third world country I speak of not Guam ,

Old 12-18-2007, 05:26 PM

I've never been to USVI so I don't know what its like there, but I've heard some people describe Guam as 3rd world. That's why I'm alerting you to the fact that you might find it so. I went to school with a girl from PR - her comment when I suggested she might like to move to Guam was "Not a chance! See one tropical island, you've seen 'em all." Pace here is much slower than CONUS. Island style. I love it. Some don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories