U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:32 PM

15 posts, read 84,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonguam View Post
I've never been to USVI so I don't know what its like there, but I've heard some people describe Guam as 3rd world. That's why I'm alerting you to the fact that you might find it so. I went to school with a girl from PR - her comment when I suggested she might like to move to Guam was "Not a chance! See one tropical island, you've seen 'em all." Pace here is much slower than CONUS. Island style. I love it. Some don't.
After reserching guam I think its the place for me can't wait to get there and out of here.(st.john usvi)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 05:43 PM

6 posts, read 45,620 times
Great! If you need any help, be sure to post it!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:19 PM

1,781 posts, read 4,111,701 times
Guam is a beautiful island with friendly people....Life on this island is a mixture of American,Hispanic,Asian influences all blended in with the Chamorro Culture.

Guam is not part of the third world,but certain aspects of life on this island may seem third world-like,such as the local government and the infrastructure.

Tsunami's are extremely rare on island,but you'll get Typhoon's and Earthquakes occasionally.

Guam and the Marianas Islands are the farthest U.S Territories from the U.S Mainland,but you will be closer to Asia and Australia if you enjoy traveling.

Some people love living in Guam,while others hate it...I enjoyed my time while I was there

Old 12-20-2007, 05:09 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,658,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlargecrb View Post
After reserching guam I think its the place for me can't wait to get there and out of here.(st.john usvi)
Just curious, and a little OT - but St. John is the most beautiful of the USVI - why the hurry to leave when most people would beat feet to get there??

Old 01-13-2008, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,140 times
Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a teaching job with the department of defence schools in Guam? I have 7 years of experience and plan on finishing my masters degree in special education before I apply.

Also, we may have to quarantine our animals there for about three months due to Guam's rabies testing requirements. We will have the test done as soon as we find out if my husband's company will be relocating us, but we well probably be moving a month to six weeks afterwards. Is anyone familiar with having to quarantine their pets? I hate to have to do it, but I think they would rather go through that than have us give them away.

Thanks!!

Old 01-13-2008, 06:25 PM

94 posts, read 281,133 times
Smile Guam Pet Quarantine Information

Allisono,

You might find information regarding Guam's pet importation requirements from the Pets on the Go! website helpful: Pet Importation-Guam.

I'm assuming this information is up-to-the-minute accurate and endorsed by the Government of Guam since the GovGuam portal (Official Portal for the Island of Guam) website contains a direct link from its "Relocating to Guam" page.

But, to your specific question--no, I don't have actual personal experience of having pets quarantined. Hopefully someone who has will post some comments.

Good luck to you and your family (which of course includes the furry kind!).

Old 02-20-2008, 06:18 AM

4 posts, read 16,132 times
Lived on Guam from 77 till 83, then moved back again in 97 from San Diego.
Some Cons: Small, Hot, Humid, some of the worst architecture on the planet, high cost of living (housing, food, utilities), little art, SUPER TYPHOONS, earthquakes (8.1 in the early 90s) snakes (although I've only seen 2 in all my years here) cockeroches, spiders, toads (don't know what you all are talking about with the snails, no snails, Okinawa has a lot of snails) BAD public schools (and many of the private), movie theaters only bring out blockbusters and formula movies.

But I still love it here. Beautiful tropical settings (especially in the more remote south) The best people (really laid back, warm, hospitable) Great diving (Guam and the outer islands) Great offroading...

Some people have complained that there is no culture. Lonely planet remarked that we are known for having the biggest Kmart in the world. huh... Guam's culture is not something you can buy a ticket to see. You have to meet the locals, hang out in their backyard and BBQ, taste the food (best BBQ in the world!) drink tuba, watch them dance, watch their interaction with children and the elders...

Last edited by PattyC; 02-20-2008 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-21-2008, 10:27 AM

1,298 posts, read 3,939,613 times
PattyC, you must be right about the culture and needing to meet the locals to experience it. My dad is Guamanian and lives in California as well as do several of his siblings and my cousins. My mom was German, she died a few years ago. My youngest sister and my brother have been to the island. My middle sis and I would like to go and Dad would like for us to go with him on a visit but right now it's hard between work scheduling and finances.

Anyway, my dad's side of the family is just what you described! Laid back, very friendly
and they love family get-togethers & bbq. I cook some of our guamanian family dishes from time to time. I love the culture that I have seen through them without being able to go to the island. Very respectful of elderly relatives, too.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:07 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,717,340 times
Guam is one of those "you loved it or you hated it" type of assignments in the military...it is WEIRD not having birds because of the brown tree snakes.

Hot, humid, lots of beaches to enjoy, cost of living is high, folks are friendly, earthquakes, typhoons poweroutages and some of the best friends you will ever make...it has the good and the bad and you have to decide for yourself which tips the scales for you.

The schools on Guam are not so good...that is why the opened the DoD schools, to try to encourage folks to accept an assignment there. If you are interested in a job teaching for Dod, check out their website...they hire on Transportation Agreements for teachers.

Here is a link to info to help you out.

USAJOBS - USAJobs FAQ (http://www.usajobs.gov/EI26.asp - broken link)

Last edited by Paka; 03-02-2008 at 07:17 AM..

Old 06-30-2008, 05:07 PM

15 posts, read 58,064 times
Cost of living is slightly lower than Hawaii (But still high), and as for teaching jobs? I suggest you get a teaching job on military bases in Guam. Being a DOD teacher pays well but standards of performance for a teacher is demanding. Being a teacher in the Guam Public School System, expect not to get paid regularly, paying out of your pocket to purchase all class materials, and having fund raisers not for field trips but to raise money to buy school books. I send my kids to private schools (pay through the nose) but that is the only way to insure their education is up to par with standards back in the states. I have friends who relocated from Guam to the mainland and their kids had to take remedial classes. Guam is a beautiful place, the local people are so friendly, and their culture is exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories