U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 16,907 times

Advertisements

As I remember - Guam is good it's very very good - a song I remember from when I lived there before they had snakes on the island. I remember some creature getting into these big shells and having to step over them at night. They made a noise as they moved together. I loved Guam - went swimming every day. My son was born at the naval hospital. There were no strip malls, or large department stores when I lived there. People would wait for the pilots to bring them McDonalds french fries from the states. I loved the weather storms and all.
Lived at Yona (can't remember how it was spelled) and on the base at NCS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 01:09 AM

763 posts, read 2,065,958 times
I was stationed there back in '85-'87. I spent a lot of time off the base, and I loved it there!

I didn't get along so well with the Navy, but I did get along with Guam and the people.

I would love to move back to live. My wife won't go for it, though. She thinks we're isolated enough as it is.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:57 AM

Smile Guam

So you were stationed on Guam in the 80's. I bet it was beautiful. I remember the sunsets - beautiful!!!

The police were out to give everybody tickets. They would pull cars over by the dozens. The speed limit was only 25 miles an hour. I remember one Christmas week - I was pregnant and I got pulled over. We didn't have much money and I had to pay the speeding ticket. I cried because I had to use the money for a ticket instead of buying baby items. I laugh at it now.

I went swimming almost every day. The water was so warm-like a bath tub. I had to wear tennis shoes and a shirt because of the creatures in the sea and the heat. I just loved every day as it was so relaxing and fun. I went swimming up to the day before my son was born. The tropical fish were beautiful.

I would love to visit Guam again. I don't think I would want to live there, but I would love to go back.

I lived in Hawaii and Alaska also. Both were wonderful. I miss the life of being a navy wife. My life is sooooo different now.

I live in a populated city now.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:28 AM

763 posts, read 2,065,958 times
Well, in Agana, there were stores, etc., but the rest of the island was very... well, tropical islandish. I would be walking down the street and see someone that I vaguely knew and be invited to a cookout. Swimming in the ocean all year long, Talafofo falls, etc. Every weekend, I would drive around the island, find a new place that I hadn't been, and spend the day.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:12 AM

Hi Elgusano, I went swimming and snorkeling every day among the beautiful tropical fish. The water was so warm-just like a bathtub. I don't remember the beach we went to but it was on the side of the pacific ocean. The reef went way out. We also went to a park somewhere near Agana and I would take pictures of my boys by a palm tree. Then we would swim in the ocean.

I remember going to a outdoor movie theater and you could barely see the movie because of the quality of the screen and you could barely hear the sound. It was fun because it was so different than in the states where everything was so perfect.

I also had to teach the local photographer how to do sepia coloring on professional pictures he had taken in his studio. He had no idea what sepia was. I had lots of fun teaching him and he would try this and that and finally came out with a great pictures of my son.

The local people were very friendly. We were invited to island parties by the locals. It was so much fun. They had a dance where two people would hold these poles and then people would dance between the poles and try not to get hit or step on the poles.

I remember the huge sea turtles that the locals would catch and then they would make soup out of them. I never would eat the soup. The turtles were beautiful. I would see them in pickup trucks.

I remember Talafofo falls but not the location. Do you know where the big old guns were on the island. I kind of remember they were some miles away from where we lived on NCS.

I have looked Guam up on the internet and they now have big resorts, etc. I can't even picture what it looks like now. I wonder if a lot of people from the states go there now. Before it was a lot of honeymoon couples from Japan.

Guam is such a wonderful place. I miss it. I miss the way of life there.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:56 PM

15 posts, read 66,655 times
I must chime in here ! ! !!
I have been back in the states for:

It is now Wednesday 8/6/2008 at 1:48:04 PM
Event: How long we have been here
Scheduled For 5/18/2002 03:00 PM
6 years 2 months 18 days 22 hours 48 minutes 4 seconds or
324 weekends or
2,272 days or
54,526 hours (36,351 waking hours) or
3,271,608 minutes or
196,296,484 seconds

Not that I am really counting BUT without the least bit of exaggeration there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of Guam. We (my wife and I) made friends for a lifetime. We still call and speak with them several times a month plus emails routinely

If it not for the grandkids (even though it just an airplane ride [grin]) I would move back in a heartbeat. Alas, I just can't get the wife to agree to moving back although she misses living there also.

Even with typhoons and earthquakes it was simply paradise for me.

Oh well, enough whining.....

Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,765,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selah1029 View Post
YES, I lived in Guam it is cool but very hot and humid.
So, which is it, cool or hot & humid??? Or maybe just warm?

Old 12-23-2008, 02:35 PM

5,369 posts, read 11,039,207 times
Guam really is a place that you either love or hate. I have fond memories of Guam. I was stationed there 86-88 and we still had birds back then. On NAVCAMS (now NCTAMS) there were these crow looking birds that would swoop down and peck at your head (this would happen when I would walk to the Post Office or NEX) I guess because it was mating season and they were territorial. I also remember those goonie birds that didn't fly. They just ran around. Looked like big pigeons. There were also the coconut crabs I would see on the beach. I remember those big, snail things on the street. In fact, I hit one (or ran it over with my bike) as I was riding the road out to what we called the "elephant cage" on NAVCAMS. It's where the CTs used to work and there were alot of antennas out there. Anyway, I would take my bike and ride where I could only hear the wind and I would watch the sunset from there. I accidentally ran over this shell (the snail) and I felt so bad about it. I recall watching sunsets of pink and blue. The clouds to me always looked like a series of reindeer, lined up to tow Santa's sleigh. The clouds would be big, and puffy, in a line. When I moved back to the states from Guam, I had a HUGE problem adjusting. Everything seemed too fast, too loud, and I felt like I was out of synch with the rest of America---like I was moving in slow motion. The island does that to you. I would move back if I could afford to!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,251 times
I lived and taught on Guam for 10 years. Our first year we were hit by several typhoons and an 8.1 earthquake in our second year. Typhoon Omar blew away my neighbors house and no greenery was visible until the island healed itself. We had no electricity for over a month. No water for about 2 weeks and no cable for a year. I got real tired of chasing ice trucks to beg for a bag or 2 needed to just cool off. High, high humidity, it takes time to get used to. On my tenure there we were hit by 7 or 8 typhoons, real scary the first time or 2. Teaching there was real fun, great kids and nice staffs. If you are breathing and have a teaching credential, you should have no problems finding a job at the Gov Guam Dept of Ed., but be ready to wait to get answers, etc., because we have U.S. time and they have Guam time (very slow moving and irritating for the first couple of years, but I got used to the system eventually). Rentals were not pricey, you must plan on getting a car. #1 (with air conditioning). Stock up on batteries, candles, canned food, and water containers. Get a generator ! Don't worry about the brown tree snakes hanging from every tree (not so), but they are there, and I killed a few, in fact, while teaching. There are about 21 villages on Guam, and they have yearly fiestas for a couple of weeks. You'll love the red rice and kelliguin (sp ?). The people for the most part are reallly friendly. Don't worry about getting a ticket going through a stop light (when the light turns, it's everyone for themselves for about 3 to 5 seconds). Gov Guam will probably ship you and your belongings over, but you must foot the bill when coming home. My suggestion, stay for 2 years and enjoy the great beaches, fishing and teaching great kids. It was a worthwhile yet harrowing experience at first. Good luck !

Old 03-16-2012, 08:32 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,981,673 times
You are aware you are commenting on a 4-year old thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories