Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:02 AM

611 posts, read 1,456,066 times

Advertisements

As far as racism among Puerto Ricans, I will say this:

I am a native Floridian. My father is African American, my mother is white. While living in Kissimmee (outside of Orlando) I would routinely get bombarded by Puerto Ricans who would scold me for not speaking Spanish, to which I would reply "I'm half black and half white" then the reaction would either be a look of disbelief, as if I was lying about my cultural heritage OR a look of disappointment/disgust....as if acknowledging my African American blood was.....not to be mentioned?

My brother has a Puerto Rican girlfriend. I found put by accident that he lied to her ENTIRE family and told them he was PR. He said he was tired of explaining to PR people that even though he LOOKED like he could be PR, he is culturally a Southerner.

I had to leave kissimmee. It got to the point where people thought I was lying about not speaking Spanish. I think Sociologists should be studying what's going on in Orlando, its really quite fascinating. The mix of Southern Whites, Southern Blacks, Northern Whites, Northern Blacks, Venezuelans, Mainland Puerto Ricans, Straight -from Puerto Rico PR, sprinkles of Dominicans, Trinis, Jamaicans...ect. All these people are thrown together and this is a relatively new thing....like the last 15 year's or so.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:21 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,798 times
No, it's not that Puerto Ricans refuse to assimilate, its that the majority of Puerto Ricans who live in the Kissimmee area are first generation immigrants, and like all first generation immigrants they still hold on to their language and haven't assimilated fully. Most bring in with them the cultural / racial mores of the island. However as the second generation comes into full swing , they will most likely not speak Spanish, and will resemble something like Nuyoricans, which are more identified with African Americans. The lighter middle class Ricans will eventually identify with Cubans and their kids.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 PM

251 posts, read 637,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
As far as racism among Puerto Ricans, I will say this:

I am a native Floridian. My father is African American, my mother is white. While living in Kissimmee (outside of Orlando) I would routinely get bombarded by Puerto Ricans who would scold me for not speaking Spanish, to which I would reply "I'm half black and half white" then the reaction would either be a look of disbelief, as if I was lying about my cultural heritage OR a look of disappointment/disgust....as if acknowledging my African American blood was.....not to be mentioned?

My brother has a Puerto Rican girlfriend. I found put by accident that he lied to her ENTIRE family and told them he was PR. He said he was tired of explaining to PR people that even though he LOOKED like he could be PR, he is culturally a Southerner.

I had to leave kissimmee. It got to the point where people thought I was lying about not speaking Spanish. I think Sociologists should be studying what's going on in Orlando, its really quite fascinating. The mix of Southern Whites, Southern Blacks, Northern Whites, Northern Blacks, Venezuelans, Mainland Puerto Ricans, Straight -from Puerto Rico PR, sprinkles of Dominicans, Trinis, Jamaicans...ect. All these people are thrown together and this is a relatively new thing....like the last 15 year's or so.
These are the people that are 80% white? I'm sorry but I'm not seeing this.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:25 PM

251 posts, read 637,531 times
[quote=duttygal86;29820774]As far as racism among Puerto Ricans, I will say this:

Quote:
What's up with these biracial people ashamed of their heritage? You should check your brother on this.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:44 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,798 times
The way Puerto Ricans define race is different from the way Anglos do. Those Ricans born and bred in the US (a.k.a. nuyoricans) have adopted the racial norms of the United States. In the U.S. a drop of black blood makes you Black. That's why Dereck Jeter and Mariah Carey are Black in the U.S. In Puerto Rico they would be considered white!

Because of the way race is looked at in the mainland and the island we will never understand each other on this. Within the American way of looking at race, Puerto Ricans ARE black! We just may "LOOK WHITE", but that's not the same a "BEING white". In Puerto Rico if you look white you ARE white, no if's or buts about it. However if your hair is kinky and your features are black, its doesn't matter if your skin is White, you ARE Black.

Hair also determines your race. In the US it's the blood, which nobody sees but most imagine that if you're Latino you are BLACK despite LOOKING WHITE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories