Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
How are they keeping blacks from voting? The only thing that they're trying to pass is voter ID. You know, like Puerto Rico has had for the last 30 years. Actually, not as strict as PR's. Here in Pennsylvania they passed a law allowing you to present ANY government issued ID to vote, unlike PR where you need a special ID from the Elections Commission. Still, the Democrats keep implying that Hispanics and blacks are too stupid to get an ID. Now, that's insulting.
No, it's a lot more complicated than that.

North Carolina’s speedy vote suppression tactics show exactly why the Voting Rights Act was working. - Slate Magazine

Will the GOP

Daily Kos: Pennsylvania Republican admits voter suppression is all about electing Mitt*Romney

Old 08-28-2013, 02:01 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
WOW! You just posted a bunch of links from extreme left-wing "news" sources. Maybe I should start quoting Fox News.

Anyway, here we go. From your first link:
Quote:
But the North Carolina legislature with a new united Republican legislature and governor, went further and passed the mother of all voter suppression bills. Aside from enacting a strict voter ID law like Texas’, the bill also cut a week off early voting in the state and barred local election boards from keeping the polls open on the final Saturday before the election after 1 pm. It eliminated same-day voter registration. It opened up the precincts to “challengers” who can gum up the works at polling places and dissuade voters from showing up in the first place. It banned paying voter registration card circulators by the piece. It eliminated pre-registration of 16- and 17-year-olds in the high schools. And it said that a voter who votes in the wrong precinct (perhaps because of a poll worker’s error) will have her whole ballot thrown out—earlier law had allowed such ballots to count for those races in which the voter was eligible to vote.
Can you find anything in there that only applies to blacks and not whites, or vice versa. BTW, Puerto Rico has an even stricter voter ID law in effect, does not have same day voter registration, and no early voting either. And if you show up in the wrong precinct, you will not even be allowed to vote. Once again, I don't see the Puerto Ricans complaining about the system, which in my opinion, is more trustworthy than the one in most US states.

From the second link, which is also about North Carolina:
Quote:
There is good reason to think, however, that there will be a strong reaction from Democrats, minority voters, and voting-rights activists if this law passes. Litigation to bar paid voter-registration drives will probably be struck down. Activists will spend considerable energy seeking to negate the effects of these laws and to increase turnout.
So, you're telling me that if the law passes, all that the Democrats have to do is make sure that their voters have an ID? What a novel idea.

The third link talks about Pennsylvania's voter ID law, which has yet to go in effect. Once again, Puerto Rico's voter ID law is way more strict and I don't hear anyone complaining about being disenfranchised.

Accept it, they only reason why Democrats do not want voter ID is because they want to keep stealing elections.

Obama Likely Won Re-Election Through Election Fraud - Rachel Alexander - Page full
Quote:
In at least two counties in Ohio, the number of registered voters exceeded the number of eligible adults who are of voting age. In northwestern Ohio's Wood County, there are 109 registered voters for every 100 people eligible to vote. An additional 31 of Ohio's 88 counties have voter registration rates over 90%, which most voting experts regard as suspicious. Obama miraculously won 100% of the vote in 21 districts in Cleveland, and received over 99% of the vote where GOP inspectors were illegally removed.
New Black Panther Party voter intimidation case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pundit Press: Fraud in PA: Obama Got Over 99% of Vote at Polls Where GOP Inspectors were Removed; Turnout Somehow "30%" Above Gov't Numbers
GOP Inspectors Thrown Out of Philadelphia Polling Places | National Review Online

Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Guess you could...whatever works for you!

Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 PM

396 posts, read 364,743 times
this voter I.D. is just drama by the liberals in the democrat party. In all the countries in this world you need some type of government I.D. to vote. In Puerto Rico is the same thing.

How can any citizen live without an I.D. is beyond me when employers, banks and transportation security demand it and its a requirement. No bank will cash a check or let you open an account or lend you money without an I.D.....no employer will give you a JOB without an I.D.......no government agency will give you benefits without an I.D.....you can't pass airport security without an I.D.....the list is long.

by the way, with I.D. theft and fraud going on in this country, we need stricter laws and Im for valid ID's to vote and for anything especially for government handouts.

Im with the Republican Party on this......I don't know what is the drama with the democrats....well, I know why, we all know who are their base....LMAO!....but that's another topic.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
Regular Americans are not considered the most enlightened people on this planet, just look at who they wanted as vice president, Sarah Palin! George Bush wasn't a rocket scientist either. As White Americans feel they're becoming a minority , surrounded by a sea of non-whites, they are going to get more irrational about who is white and who isn't, so GET READY!.

We might also think this is a passing phase but no group who's been in powder for centuries has ever given up power to people whom they consider inferior.

That's the rush to keep Blacks from voting, making it more difficult. Hispanics aren't too far behind.

Statehood for Puerto Rico? Not in our life time!

then explain how by being a young republic compare to Europe and other republics in the world the U.S. has a superior economy, superior technology and liberties. Tell me a country in the world where minorities have it better than the U.S.? tell me of a country in the world where a minority can become PRESIDENT of the country, be part of the highest court of the land and have many rich/millionaires minorities living the good life? name me 1 republic in the world that treats their minorities better than the U.S.? I will wait for your answer......

you think Biden and Obama are smarter than Bush and Palin because they can read a tele-prompter better and have the media on their bandwagon?

tell me what is so irrational to have voter ID'S to vote? would you give a job to anybody without an I.D.? would you rent your house to a person without an I.D.? Would you cash a check or lend money to a person without an I.D.? would you want to fly next to a person in a commercial flight without an I.D?..........So why do you want the government to accept people with no ID's to vote? LOL

Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,395 times
Now comm-on Rush, you've gotta be kidding! Let's leave the folkloric garbage learned in the last century aside and lets arrive to the 21st century and get real.

Many Americans, and rabid Puerto Rican statehooders, MMMMMMMM I wonder who? are the only ones that think the world functions like Disney world. You guys have been indoctrinated for decades to believe, that the U.S. is the greatest country in the world, the best at just about everything. Sadly, that hasn’t been true for quite some time.

So if you’re curious about who’s taken our crown, you might be surprised. The latest international index of 123 countries released by the Fraser Institute, Canada's leading public policy think-tank, and Germany's Liberales Institut, ranked New Zealand as number one for offering the highest level of freedom worldwide, followed by the Netherlands then Hong Kong. Australia, Canada and Ireland tied for fourth spot. The survey measured the degree to which people are free to enjoy classic civil liberties - freedom of speech, religion, individual economic choice, and association and assembly. In each country surveyed the indicators of crime and violence were way below the U.S. Legal discrimination against homosexuals, and women's freedoms were more respected, in comparison to the U.S.. Pretty extensive stuff.

As for the idea that the United States is the envy of the world when it comes to free markets and business? Wrong again. The U.S. continues to lose ground against other nations in Forbes’ annual look at the Best Countries for Business. The U.S. placed second in 2009, but in 2012 it ranks 12th, trailing fellow G-8 countries Canada (5th), the United Kingdom (10th) and Australia (11th) The world’s biggest economy at $15.1 trillion scores abysmally when it comes to trade freedom and monetary freedom.

So, who did top the list for the Best Countries for Business?

New Zealand again! New Zealand can boast a transparent and stable business climate that encourages entrepreneurship. New Zealand is the smallest economy in the top 10 at $162 billion, but it ranks first in personal freedom and investor protection, as well as a lack of red tape and corruption.

Okay, so at least MIT is still the best tech university in the entire world, however according to the Association of American Colleges and Universities, there are two thousand six hundred eighteen accredited four-year colleges and universities in the United States, most of which operate privately or as part of state governments. Only fifty-four of these are in the top 200, very slightly over 2% .

Many of these schools are basically Rinky Dink colleges or diploma mills, offering students remedial courses. So called savy Puerto Ricas love to send their kids to these schools because they think the UPR is riddled with leftists, anti-americans, you name it.

So who does top the educational rankings?

The annual QS World University survey ranks institutions based on scores for academic reputation, employer reputation and how many international students it has, among other things. Up to 20,000 universities from around the world were surveyed to find the top 700 academic institutions from 72 countries, the best universities in the world.

New Zealand has eight universities nationwide, with slightly less than around a half million students. According to the QS World University Rankings, two of New Zealand’s universities – Auckland and Otago – rank in the top 200 of the 700 best universities in the world, and Auckland in the top 100 (83rd and 133rd respectively). That's 25% compared to the United State's 2.06%. All eight universities rank in the top 500, with Auckland University of Technology appearing on the list for the first time this year. That’s a 100% rating.

Even when New Zealand isn’t top of the list, they’re outranking and out-performing the United States on just about any index you want to consider. How about the environment? According to the Yale University and Columbia University 2012 Environmental Performance Index at the World Economic Forum, ranking 132 countries, New Zealand placed 14th in the top 30. The United States trailed at 49th.

We rank top of the list for the most expensive health care system in the world, but next to the bottomcompared to six other industrialized countries - Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom – when it comes to quality, efficiency, access to care, equity and the ability to lead long, healthy, productive lives.

There are a few other things the United States tops the charts at. We’re fifth out of the top 25 countries in the world in terms of crime rate. New Zealand is 24th. Worst of all most jail inmates are minority, as if Whites hardly ever commit crimes. But of cousrse we know that skin color and money have a lot to do with this.

On quality of life:

Non U.S. cities like Vienna and Zurich, also top the US in quality of living. In fact they surpass Portland which has the best quality of life in the U.S. Nothing in the United States makes the list at all. Even when it’s just the Americans being ranked for quality of living overall (taking New Zealand out of the equation altogether), the top four cities are all in Canada, with Honolulu coming 28th.

One of the smallest countries in the world is kicking our ass when it comes to actually living up to the standards Americans pretend still have. Isn’t it about time Rush you stopped kidding yourself, stopped living on past glories that mostly never were, and started actually trying to be at least as good as one of the smallest nations on earth?

Of course Rush you'll dismiss all this as Communist propaganda or Al-queida rantings, but these are the facts, where are yours? Please no Tea Party surveys.

Within all this mess Puerto Ricans will eventually apply for statehood. The only thing that is running in your favor is American citizenship, which is statutory. Several years ago the statutory nature of our citizenship was debunked, however I have a feeling the anti-statehood forces in the US will bring it back and they have good allies in the Supreme Court.

This gets interesting.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 AM

1) I never said the U.S. is "perfect", every country has their problems but compare to what is out there in the world and what I seen, I say there is no place I rather be. That's my opinion. Obviously you don't share my view and that's your prerogative. All independentistas/soberanistas sound the same to me downgrading the U.S. thinking the grass is greener on the other side but when push comes to shove the U.S. is the country of their choice to come and get an education, a good career and live in the nice neighborhoods and have that U.S. dollar in their pockets. LOL!

2) If the U.S. isn't the best country in the world or one of the best countries in the world why they keep coming by the millions? Look how people vote with their feet but you obviously ignore that and throw at me some European liberal propaganda about health care and education. The U.S. is like any country, you have your good schools and bad schools, it comes in every category.

3) Rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt and put under perspective, numbers and reports can be spin around and manipulated to push an agenda, public policies or promote institutions over others, afterall there are billions of dollars in higher education institutions and government grants and its a business afterall, they don't work for free . Sure, UK, Canada, Spain and the rest of Europe have government FREE health care for all but at what cost? have you been to those countries? Taxes are up the roof, renting and buying a house and services and goods are very expensive with all the taxes and regulations and some of those governments are broke because of it. So nothing is FREE my friend, somebody has to pay for it and its usually the working class and consumers.

4) My question to you is, apart from repeating what you read on the web what is your experienced in those countries that you mention first hand? getting a nice paying job, buying a house, buying goods, renting and the cost of living in those countries that you mention. Im not talking about you visiting those countries as a tourist with your U.S. passport and U.S Dollar, even Cuba is nice under those conditions, Im talking about you as a minority moving in to those countries and having better opportunities as a minority to succeed than the U.S.

5) Tell me what country in the world treats their minorities and immigrants better than the U.S.?......Can you go to New Zealand or Europe and have the same opportunities as the U.S. as a minority? I really doubt it and its obvious. Lets deal with reality.

Quote:
The only thing that is running in your favor is American citizenship, which is statutory. Several years ago the statutory nature of our citizenship was debunked, however I have a feeling the anti-statehood forces in the US will bring it back and they have good allies in the Supreme Court.
LMAO! is that you talking and your true feelings about your U.S. citizenship because I have never heard that debate in the Supreme Court or in congress. Like I said, all independentistas and soberanistas sound the same to me and are part of the anti-statehood forces in the island......LOL

Last edited by Rush71; 08-29-2013 at 09:16 AM..

Old 08-30-2013, 07:49 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush71 View Post
1) I never said the U.S. is "perfect", every country has their problems but compare to what is out there in the world and what I seen, I say there is no place I rather be. That's my opinion. Obviously you don't share my view and that's your prerogative. All independentistas/soberanistas sound the same to me downgrading the U.S. thinking the grass is greener on the other side but when push comes to shove the U.S. is the country of their choice to come and get an education, a good career and live in the nice neighborhoods and have that U.S. dollar in their pockets. LOL!

2) If the U.S. isn't the best country in the world or one of the best countries in the world why they keep coming by the millions? Look how people vote with their feet but you obviously ignore that and throw at me some European liberal propaganda about health care and education. The U.S. is like any country, you have your good schools and bad schools, it comes in every category.

3) Rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt and put under perspective, numbers and reports can be spin around and manipulated to push an agenda, public policies or promote institutions over others, afterall there are billions of dollars in higher education institutions and government grants and its a business afterall, they don't work for free . Sure, UK, Canada, Spain and the rest of Europe have government FREE health care for all but at what cost? have you been to those countries? Taxes are up the roof, renting and buying a house and services and goods are very expensive with all the taxes and regulations and some of those governments are broke because of it. So nothing is FREE my friend, somebody has to pay for it and its usually the working class and consumers.

4) My question to you is, apart from repeating what you read on the web what is your experienced in those countries that you mention first hand? getting a nice paying job, buying a house, buying goods, renting and the cost of living in those countries that you mention. Im not talking about you visiting those countries as a tourist with your U.S. passport and U.S Dollar, even Cuba is nice under those conditions, Im talking about you as a minority moving in to those countries and having better opportunities as a minority to succeed than the U.S.

5) Tell me what country in the world treats their minorities and immigrants better than the U.S.?......Can you go to New Zealand or Europe and have the same opportunities as the U.S. as a minority? I really doubt it and its obvious. Lets deal with reality.

LMAO! is that you talking and your true feelings about your U.S. citizenship because I have never heard that debate in the Supreme Court or in congress. Like I said, all independentistas and soberanistas sound the same to me and are part of the anti-statehood forces in the island......LOL

That wasn't what you implied in your previous post, LOL Now the US is not perfect. MMMMMMMMM Finally, this is a redundant conversation , its like discussing with a Tea Party member.

I'm not trying to convince you or any one else on this forum to change their ideas, I just present that there is a big world out there not just the insular world of the United States or Disney World.

Folks within waning empires never believe anything beyond what their propaganda machines tell them, that's the reason World powers eventually fizzle out.

If you think the U.S. is God's gift to the world, more power to you, but remember that's an insular mind set and others don't have believe your crap.

I just think these forums are good for discussions but when the posters start making threats and calling you names like leftist, communists etc, you sense they're still stuck in the cold war and haven't progressed. Therefore its best to drop the conversation with these folks.

However Rush, read carefully, I never said statutory Americans citizenship was brought to the Supreme Court, I also said it was debunked when some DC lawyers began talking about it. However I wouldn't be surprised if it'll be brought up again, maybe it'll wind up in the Supreme Court for clarification, that's all I said, a speculation.

And by the way, more than half of the Italian immigrants who came at the beginning of the century to the U.S. returned to Italy. A little tid bit they forgot to tell you, look it up. In addition nobody knows how many immigrants return, which may be small, but who knows, why keep it a secret?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 AM

1) not only you sound like every soberanista/independentista you also sound like your typical liberal democrat with your anti-tea party views. I'm sure the word racist will be thrown in this topic soon, that train is never late......LOL

2) I never implied that any country is perfect, we are all humans after all. I said: by being a young republic compare to Europe and other older republics in the world the U.S. has a superior economy, superior technology and liberties and many opportunities for minorities if they come to work and have personal responsibility. Tell me a country in the world where minorities have it better than the U.S.? tell me of a country in the world where a minority can become PRESIDENT of the country, governors, be part of the highest court of the land, have rights and privileges to get out of poverty and have many rich/millionaires minorities living the good life? name me 1 republic in the world that treats their minorities better than the U.S.?............that's what I said and you like your typical soberanista understood that I was implying the U.S. is perfect, which I never said.

3) They have been predicting the demise of the United States since they won their independence from the British and were broke and history have been proven them wrong time after time. I know its wishful thinking from soberanistas and anti-Americans to predict and wish the downfall of the U.S. but is not happening anytime soon so just take a number and keep waiting . The U.S. have been through a Revolution war, Civil war, world wars, great depression and many natural disasters and they are still on top and the envy of the world where millions of people especially minorities still come to be in. Look how people vote with their feet.

4) I haven't call you names or a commie but you are a lefty liberal soberanista, like most independentistas. Nothing wrong with that, you are who you are. LOL

5) Let me ask you a question, do more people leave the U.S. to be someplace else because its better over there or more people enter the U.S. from all over the world to live?...........you know the answer to that.

6) There is no need to clarify the U.S. citizenship of Puerto Ricans or anybody in the U.S. . Once you have it, it can't be taken away involuntarily, the Supreme Court already ruled on this. That kills any hope for the soberanistas/independentistas over the status of P.R...........if a lawyer wants his 15 minutes in the press to argue it, its a free country but I highly doubt the U.S. Supreme Court would ever take the argument to clarify, there is nothing to clarify.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:06 AM

355 posts, read 716,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush71 View Post
6) There is no need to clarify the U.S. citizenship of Puerto Ricans or anybody in the U.S. . Once you have it, it can't be taken away involuntarily, the Supreme Court already ruled on this. That kills any hope for the soberanistas/independentistas over the status of P.R...........if a lawyer wants his 15 minutes in the press to argue it, its a free country but I highly doubt the U.S. Supreme Court would ever take the argument to clarify, there is nothing to clarify.

The above quote pretty much sums it up.
No one group is to surrender someone else's US Citizenship through a vote.
Puerto Rico is part of the US and always will be.

And as far as the title of the thread... "I guess I could call myself a "white Puerto Rican". We're Puerto Rican, that's it. Not a black Puerto Rican, not a white Puerto Rican, not a Taino Puerto Rican. Just Puerto Rican and an American citizen. The culture and practice of being white this and/or black that is divisive and a mainland big city thing. We know who we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories