Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 06:14 AM

107 posts, read 301,415 times

Advertisements

What would be considered the safest place for families moving from the States to Puerto Rico? Dorado, Condado, Guaynabo, Isla Verde, Cabo Rojo? Any thoughts of what would be considered a great, safe family town considering the high crime that seems to have plagued the island. Do safe communities/areas still exist? Orocovis perhaps...more remote areas like that?

I've met several families (both Puerto Rican and non-Puerto Rican) move from other islands in the Caribbean, stateside, China, Korea, Middle East, India, etc. to Puerto Rico. Some have raised their children here and have no plans on leaving. Others have children who speak better Spanish than anything else. If the economy is down and crime is high, why do you think this is so? I know for me, moving to Puerto Rico was like moving back home and a time to reconnect with my roots. I came here frequently as a child and wanted to share the island with my children. But while I've witnessed crime, I've been blessed not to have been the victim of it. And, also blessed to be able to move away from the busy areas of Santurce and Carolina to more quiet areas out west. Also, I've been able to maintain a job and move from one job to the next when dissatisfied, so the economy has not impacted me too greatly. My salary, though nothing worth bragging about :-/, has only increased each job. I was just curious...why are some Puerto Ricans and others moving back to the island or starting new lives on a small island in the Caribbean? I would love to here stories of other families who have moved to Puerto Rico and where they settled...

Last edited by boricuarosa; 06-25-2013 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
I hear a lot about Dorado being or having been, an affluent, safe area. How is it these days?

An aunt of mine moved to Cabo Rojo a few years ago and loves it.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:15 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
OP, areas near Fajardo, Ponce, and the entire Metro area down to Caguas are the most unsafe parts of PR. Northwest and west coast are the safest parts of the island. I'm originally from Carolina, and even though the city is plagued with a murder rate rivaling some Mexican cities, I would still live there, but for me it's home so it's different for you

Old 07-01-2013, 09:13 PM

98 posts, read 685,390 times
OP...

Dorado = creme of the crop, fillet migñon as far Real Estate, English speaking folks, beaches, bilingual schools, great restaurants per sq mile, educated business people, little to no traffic early mornings compared to other cities. Want a Ricky Martin after party, this is where you dance and live (I'm from Bayamón city by the way, 30+ miles away..)

San Juan, Bayamon, Guaynabo = overall, great, more malls per square foot then ANY state in the upper states. Accessibility to the best supermarkets(Costco/Walmart/Sams/CVS/Walgreens), hospitals, colleges, restaurants, fast foods and airport is also better than Dorado city, of course, overall also from any other city

Ponce, Aguadilla, Rincon, Mayaguez and Fajardo are excellent cities overall with the requirements most US families will want. Been here 31 years except for vacations and months of temporary getaways, so any other city I won't live if I were in my 20s, 30s or even my 40's when counting kids, security and overall accessibility even when many communities places were $700+ a month mortgage/rent are now gated with video cameras and security guards.

But if you're really into quiet areas out west and quality areas (beach/restaurants/educated people/malls/real estate) I'll recommend Aguadilla and Isabela when it comes to quiet. Nothing beats buying a land per square foot in those quiet places and being near the beach close to good restaurants, beach and friendly and professional people overall..of course be rude and arrogant and you'll likely get the finger + a bit more when driving

Old 07-13-2013, 03:10 PM

25 posts, read 194,925 times
I've heard great things about dorado. I rented a house for a year in cabo rojo and it was great, very safe. I've lived in Rincon for a long time and it is as safe as it gets here. I haven't run into many american business professional types here if that matters to you. This is surf town. There's also plenty of nice little country neighborhoods here. I love the isolation and the peace and quiet here.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:43 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,688,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
OP...

Dorado = creme of the crop, fillet migñon as far Real Estate, English speaking folks, beaches, bilingual schools, great restaurants per sq mile, educated business people, little to no traffic early mornings compared to other cities. Want a Ricky Martin after party, this is where you dance and live (I'm from Bayamón city by the way, 30+ miles away..)

San Juan, Bayamon, Guaynabo = overall, great, more malls per square foot then ANY state in the upper states. Accessibility to the best supermarkets(Costco/Walmart/Sams/CVS/Walgreens), hospitals, colleges, restaurants, fast foods and airport is also better than Dorado city, of course, overall also from any other city

Ponce, Aguadilla, Rincon, Mayaguez and Fajardo are excellent cities overall with the requirements most US families will want. Been here 31 years except for vacations and months of temporary getaways, so any other city I won't live if I were in my 20s, 30s or even my 40's when counting kids, security and overall accessibility even when many communities places were $700+ a month mortgage/rent are now gated with video cameras and security guards.

But if you're really into quiet areas out west and quality areas (beach/restaurants/educated people/malls/real estate) I'll recommend Aguadilla and Isabela when it comes to quiet. Nothing beats buying a land per square foot in those quiet places and being near the beach close to good restaurants, beach and friendly and professional people overall..of course be rude and arrogant and you'll likely get the finger + a bit more when driving
I was just in Ponce, that's a place I would not recommend to any tourist. I stayed in the Hilton and went into town. They got 4 cops standing by the old firehouse but glad I only did one night there. Isabella was great. Cabo Rojo was fine also.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:10 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,490 times
There is this stereotype created by mean spirited Puerto Ricans that the island is some sort of Iraq or Syria. Yes there is crime on the isalnd , mostly centered on the drug trade and sadly, poor folks. Because the island is small it might give the impression that violence is as bad as Detroit, Hartford Conn or Camden NJ. but it isn't.

If I were moving to the metro area I'd move to middle to upper middle class areas. That may sound pretentious but that is what Americans do if they move to New York or Chicago. Do they move close to housing projects where there are shoots outs daily, specially in the Summer? Certainly not!

Its sad but true that moving next to "caserios" and marginal areas, is a hazard.
However those are the only places most know when visting the island.
Tourist areas are well policed. however the cost of living there is HIGH! Other areas like Guaynabo, Dorado and Hato Rey are O.K. but costly.

Smaller towns, the further away from metro San Juan ,might be better on your budget. However there is nothing to do there. Streets are desolate after dark because most folks are either home watching "La Novela" or at the multiplex theaters. No one socializes in the plaza anymore, its not 1955.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:42 PM

25 posts, read 194,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
There is this stereotype created by mean spirited Puerto Ricans that the island is some sort of Iraq or Syria. Yes there is crime on the isalnd , mostly centered on the drug trade and sadly, poor folks. Because the island is small it might give the impression that violence is as bad as Detroit, Hartford Conn or Camden NJ. but it isn't.

If I were moving to the metro area I'd move to middle to upper middle class areas. That may sound pretentious but that is what Americans do if they move to New York or Chicago. Do they move close to housing projects where there are shoots outs daily, specially in the Summer? Certainly not!

Its sad but true that moving next to "caserios" and marginal areas, is a hazard.
However those are the only places most know when visting the island.
Tourist areas are well policed. however the cost of living there is HIGH! Other areas like Guaynabo, Dorado and Hato Rey are O.K. but costly.

Smaller towns, the further away from metro San Juan ,might be better on your budget. However there is nothing to do there. Streets are desolate after dark because most folks are either home watching "La Novela" or at the multiplex theaters. No one socializes in the plaza anymore, its not 1955.
You're 100% correct with everything you said. You know I really like the fact that there's "nothing to do". We have to make our own fun. When you've got a little piece of land you've got possibilities. Just one example I built a home gym in one side of my marquesina.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:30 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,227 times
Gated communities with 24/7 security guards are an option.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:24 PM

211 posts, read 519,200 times
I would say Dorado and the outskirts of San Juan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories