U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 04:53 AM

107 posts, read 281,214 times

Advertisements

Saludos!

I wanted to know if it is better to teach English in public high schools in Puerto Rico, northern area - Manatí, Arecibo, Vega Baja etc? Or is it better to look for employment in private schools only?

Based on those with experience, which one pays more? In the states, private schools normally pay less than public schools, is this also the case in Puerto Rico?

Also, if I wanted to find a job in a public school, where do I begin? I found on the Department of Ed. web site, Convocatoria, can I simply show up to an interviewing site with my credentials (transcripts, teaching certificate, etc.) Or is there more to the process?

Gracias!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:56 PM

77 posts, read 258,329 times
Ooohhh this is a very delicate topic. I don't have too much time to elaborate but in a nutshell, the public system is a complete mess. In general teachers in the public system make more money than private schools but there are a few Top of the List private schools that pay teachers well.

That being said, trying to land a "permanent" position in the public system is next to impossible. I've heard of teachers that have been in "temporary" status for years and years and years. Also, as a public school teacher you will have to pay for classroom materials out-of-pocket and don't expect reimbursement. It is for the love of the profession and personal satisfaction.

Last, my mom was a teacher in the public school system for several years (back in the 70's before I was born) she tells me she decided to move to the private schools because in general kids in the public system tend to be more rude, disrespectful and lacked moral and tend to be violent. My mom retired some years ago from private school teaching. She always said that the pay was very low compared to the public schools.

You gotta choose your battle. More money, harsh working conditions or less money but peace of mind.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:49 AM

7,801 posts, read 9,345,421 times
Private schools by far. Puerto Rico's public schools are a mess, they are also about to get a big reality check from the US Department of Education so would probably be a good idea to steer clear for the time being.

Also the teaching of English in public schools is discouraged as the politicians in pava hats are terrified it might lead to more support for statehood. Remember, the Populares depend on Puerto Ricans being poor, illiterate (and unable to speak/read English), and dependent on the Partido Popular so they can win elections.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 AM

529 posts, read 996,084 times
REALITY CHECK

If you live in a large city of the United States, and you value education, you never send your kids to Public Schools no matter all the shticks they give you on Charter schools and what not. Check out the movie "Waiting for Superman" which you might be able to get at a video store or net flix.

Education in Puerto Rico is a Class thing. The more upper class you are the better the schools. Public schools on the island have gone the way of Stateside schools, kids don't learn and teachers can't be fired if they don't teach. The worst public schools in PR are, sadly, those centered near Caserios and those towns close to the metro area where unemployment and drugs are rampant.

HOWEVER, not all private schools are good either. Some only teach in English and most students or parents don't know the heck what's going on. Kids never learn English or Spanish well because the teachers themselves aren't competent. Kids never learn to use either language correctly, and it has nothing to do with any particular political party, as some here have mentioned. The Political big wigs of either party have their kids in Mater Salvatori, which teaches in English and Spanish. Kids there are uppity and the cost is pricey.

Although speaking English is the ideal, but beware. If you learn it with an accent you can cut with a scissor , like most statehooders speak it, it won't serve your purpose in the new conservative America. If you speak it with a noticeable accent you don't Speak "American".

Don't believe me?, Ask any Tea Party member.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:52 PM

25 posts, read 186,568 times
You can literally just show to a convacatorioa with your credentials and interview and apply. It's faster getting a job at private schools. In the west of PR the private schools pay less. Some times they hire teachers who aren't even licensed to teach in PR. My sister in law is a permanent full time teacher in Mayaguez. I think she makes $2500 a month, which is a good salary for a teacher here. It took her a few years to become permanent. The dept of education here really does have a lot of issues. Stay away from public schools next to the public housing projects (caserios).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories