U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 06:58 PM

3,660 posts, read 4,628,799 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to Albuquerque, NM in the near future, but in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if I could ever make a home in Puerto Rico. But I can't live anywhere that has a lot of mold in the air, because of an allergy problem. (Most humid locations sometimes have fairly high airborne mold counts.) A while back, someone suggested Ponce as a possibility, because of it's semi-arid climate.

So does anyone know what the outdoor mold levels are in Ponce? Does the mold count ever get high? Is the climate arid or semi-arid?

What about other allergens? Is it generally considered a good/bad place for allergy sufferers?

I've never even been to Puerto Rico, so obviously visiting would be a first step in considering whether I'd even want to live there. I am not Latino and don't know Spanish, but I have every intention of learning sooner or later.

(Yes, I've asked this question about lots of other places, but I have to say, Ponce has a lot of appeal to me thanks to my love of salsa.

Now I've got the Hector Lavoe song "Ponce" in my head. So much great music has come out of Puerto Rico! Heck, Ponce alone has given us an incredible list of major performers.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 PM

68 posts, read 211,398 times
Before you move to PR based on your love of salsa you should seriously take an extended trip (at least a couple of weeks) and try and get out in the social scene to see if you will mesh with the scene here.

There is loads of great music and events but the "dance scene" is nothing like it is in the northeast. Not saying it's better or worse, but definitely different.

I can't say for Ponce but I have not had too many problems as far as allergies go. I got a little bit for about a week but that's all I've had in the couple years I have been here.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irothste View Post
Before you move to PR based on your love of salsa you should seriously take an extended trip (at least a couple of weeks) and try and get out in the social scene to see if you will mesh with the scene here.
It's not just the salsa thing. But when I was talking about different relocation possibilities with a Puerto Rican friend and she said (in essence) "Well, why not Puerto Rico, since there are arid sections there too," I started to get interested. Combining an arid climate with close proximity to the ocean seems like it could be ideal.

I definitely would never move anywhere without visiting first, especially to a place that genuinely has a very different culture than what I'm used to.

Quote:
There is loads of great music and events but the "dance scene" is nothing like it is in the northeast. Not saying it's better or worse, but definitely different.
Right, I've actually heard quite a bit about differences in terms of style of dance (e.g., I've heard of even Puerto Ricans from the US proper being looked at funny because of their too-many-spins style of dancing). I can also see how it would be harder to crack the scene as an outsider (no ballroom-like "dance with everyone" ethic of the sort that at least colors salsa dancing in the states).

Quote:
I can't say for Ponce but I have not had too many problems as far as allergies go. I got a little bit for about a week but that's all I've had in the couple years I have been here.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:51 PM

59 posts, read 344,134 times
If you really want arid, there's supposed to be an actual small desert somewhere on the western side of the island - perhaps the southwest corner? I'm sure someone on here could tell you more precisely. That's one of the amazing things about PR in my mind, the diverse geography... you've got rain forests, dry forests, a mountainous lake region, beaches obviously, and even a small desert.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythspell View Post
If you really want arid, there's supposed to be an actual small desert somewhere on the western side of the island - perhaps the southwest corner? I'm sure someone on here could tell you more precisely. That's one of the amazing things about PR in my mind, the diverse geography... you've got rain forests, dry forests, a mountainous lake region, beaches obviously, and even a small desert.
Hmmm. Maybe that's what my friend was originally talking about. How did I get from that to Ponce? Maybe it's not far from there?

Old 11-14-2007, 02:57 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,654,349 times
Why don't you look at one of the weather channels online? They usually post a humidity and mold and pollen index by zip code, with historical highs and lows. It might be a place to start until someone can be more definitive in an answer.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:19 AM

Every place I've looked only covers CONUS (e.g., weather.com - Allergies Forecasts).

Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,654,349 times
Try this one - click on Puerto Rico and Ponce, then go to the full index...it's got UV, pollen, and a couple of other things...see if that's what you're looking for...or post over in the Weather forum, someone may know a better site over there.

http://www.accuweather.com/ (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories