Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Puerto Rico eventually have english as a primary language?
Yes/Si 3 33.33%
No/No 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 PM

181 posts, read 303,402 times

Advertisements

Alright, so in Puerto Rico, as we all know, spanish is the dominant language. But, when I entered some Puerto Rican zip codes, the % of english spoken at home was, if I had to guess, 12%. Who are these english speakers, and will they make Puerto Rico an english society eventually?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 PM

355 posts, read 717,796 times
As the primary language, unlikely. But a bilingual majority, absolutely.
But this poll is what?
More fuel for a dying fire... the purpose?

Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,884,502 times
No

Old 08-17-2013, 11:09 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,974,499 times
Nope, and it should stay that way. But, I do support English language education

Old 08-18-2013, 12:00 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,121,394 times
Puerto Ricans will always speak Spanish as their first language ... even when the island becomes a state they will still speak Spanish as their first language. However my hope is that eventually almost all Puerto Ricans will be more or less completely bilingual.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,974,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Puerto Ricans will always speak Spanish as their first language ... even when the island becomes a state they will still speak Spanish as their first language. However my hope is that eventually almost all Puerto Ricans will be more or less completely bilingual.
That's what I support, full bilingualism for Puerto Rico, even if it ruffles the feathers of certain English nativists on P&OC

Old 08-18-2013, 02:42 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,121,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's what I support, full bilingualism for Puerto Rico, even if it ruffles the feathers of certain English nativists on P&OC

I believe that eventually all Americans - mainland and Puerto Rican - will need to be bilingual. It's the future and we might as well accept it. The Spanish language is here to stay.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:30 PM

529 posts, read 1,088,360 times
I would say that we should look at Quebec as a model if statehood is ever granted. Hawaii is not a good model because Hawaii has a dying language. The islands were taken over by a massive immigration of Asians, who assimilated quickly into English. Mainlanders came from the west coast, and many young drop out girls have taken over dancing Hawaiian to entertain tourists. These folks turned the old Hawaiian kingdom into an English speaking majority. The ones that were left over are now trying to revive Hawaiian, but its going to kick the bucket in less than a generation.

Back to Quebec:

Quebec is FRENCH! The province is not bilingual as I once thought. You have to visit Quebec to believe this! Once you get out of Montreal you can count with one hand the bilinguals. Does this ring a bell?

The moment you leave the tourist areas of San Juan English is hard to come by, except by some nuyorican that lives in some caserio and wants to practice English or hold you up.

However the government, if its for statehood, has to make every one in Congress think that we are bilingual when the truth is that we aren't. Those that went to private schools might know some English, but not enough to convince the Sarah Palin's or Michelle Bachman types, of which there are millions. So called bilingual Puerto Ricans speak hesitantly and with an accent you could cut with a scissor, not enough to convince any ignorant mean spirited hill billy in Congress that we are truly bilingual.

Canada had to negotiate with Quebec to keep it within Canada. It changed its flag, it required that all MUST be bilingual in the Canadian parliament, and if not, provide translations. I don't see that happening with Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rican statehooders may be able to fool the ignorant Hill Billy congressmen and be granted statehood, but once this statehood generation dies off and a newer more proud generation takes the reins the 51 state, like its happening all over the world with people who speak other than the main language of so-called multilingual countries.

Last edited by Sunscape; 08-22-2013 at 05:30 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 05:11 PM

355 posts, read 717,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
but once this statehood generation dies off and a newer more proud generation takes the reins the 51 state, sh*t will hit the fan, like its happening all over the world with people who speak other than the main language of so-called multilingual countries.
It's disappointing to see this kind of disrespect of our older generation, disappointing but a good indicator of the failed values/education seen in some segments of todays society. To imply the older generation is not proud of being Puerto Rican is ridiculous. Our parents and grandparents are proud to be both Puerto Rican and American, the same combination status our vocal minority of anti-US/state grew up under and reaped the benefits of.

Ignoring the huge amount of revisionist race bias based historical lore is difficult to do these days but essential to determining Puerto Rico's development and direction, especially in regard to voting.

Yes, spanish will always be the primary language in Puerto Rico but that hasn't got in the way of being an American or US Citizen in the last 96 years and I don't expect it will in the future.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,110,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
I would say that we should look at Quebec as a model if statehood is ever granted. Hawaii is not a good model because Hawaii has a dying language. The islands were taken over by a massive immigration of Asians, who assimilated quickly into English. Mainlanders came from the west coast, and many young drop out girls have taken over dancing Hawaiian to entertain tourists. These folks turned the old Hawaiian kingdom into an English speaking majority. The ones that were left over are now trying to revive Hawaiian, but its going to kick the bucket in less than a generation.

Back to Quebec:

Quebec is FRENCH! The province is not bilingual as I once thought. You have to visit Quebec to believe this! Once you get out of Montreal you can count with one hand the bilinguals. Does this ring a bell?

The moment you leave the tourist areas of San Juan English is hard to come by, except by some nuyorican that lives in some caserio and wants to practice English or hold you up.

However the government, if its for statehood, has to make every one in Congress think that we are bilingual when the truth is that we aren't. Those that went to private schools might know some English, but not enough to convince the Sarah Palin's or Michelle Bachman types, of which there are millions. So called bilingual Puerto Ricans speak hesitantly and with an accent you could cut with a scissor, not enough to convince any ignorant mean spirited hill billy in Congress that we are truly bilingual.

Canada had to negotiate with Quebec to keep it within Canada. It changed its flag, it required that all MUST be bilingual in the Canadian parliament, and if not, provide translations. I don't see that happening with Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rican statehooders may be able to fool the ignorant Hill Billy congressmen and be granted statehood, but once this statehood generation dies off and a newer more proud generation takes the reins the 51 state, sh*t will hit the fan, like its happening all over the world with people who speak other than the main language of so-called multilingual countries.
I don't have anything against PR and think Quebec is a decent model for helping a language survive. That said, there are major differences that explain why French was made co-official with English in Canada. For starters, Quebec makes up close to a quarter of Canada's population. It's also right in the heart of the country. Very different situation from PR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories