Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will congress address Puerto Rican statehood this year
Yes, but spanish will be the main language of the state. 2 28.57%
Yes, but spanish won't be the main language of the new state. 0 0%
No, and the constitutional assembly will happen (if you pick this, pick one of the options below) 3 42.86%
Puerto Rico will become an enhanced commonwealth 4 57.14%
Puerto Rico will become independant 1 14.29%
Puerto Rico will become a state, but spanish will be the main language 1 14.29%
Puerto Rico will become a state, but english will be the main language. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:24 PM

181 posts, read 301,433 times

Advertisements

An article I read: Why the ‘Commonwealth’ Party Wants an Assembly to Pick the Territory’s Status | Puerto Rico Report

Puerto Rico “Commonwealth” party leaders yesterday reiterated their pledge to call a “constitutional assembly” (often also referred to as a “constituent assembly”) on the territory’s status next year if the Federal government does not act on the status issue this year.

A party convention ratified a resolution presented by Governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla. It repeats a promise in the party’s 2012 elections platform.

"The resolution opposes a status solution that would compromise “Puerto Rican nationality or impair our linguistic and cultural identity.” The language was intended as an attack on U.S. statehood, the status that won the territory’s plebiscite on the issue held along with the elections, although statehood would not affect the cultural identity of Puerto Ricans."

So Puerto Rico will lose spanish if it becomes a state!?

Will this party convention happen, so the spanish language can be saved in Puerto Rico?

Old 08-26-2013, 02:30 PM

36 posts, read 80,397 times
How many threads do you need on the matter? This is called spamming...

Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 PM

This is the last thread ill post, I promace. This is just an issue that's dear to my heart.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,794,165 times
Puerto Rico's not going to lose Spanish. I'm from there, and even though most of us are very proud to be Americans, we're also very proud to be Puerto Rican and Spanish is a part of our identity. We're not like the Mexicans that live in the states that lose their ability to lose Spanish almost completely by the 3rd generation.

And I agree with the above poster, you are pretty much borderline spamming, OP, if not doing so already. You already have practically half the first page with your OPs, plus you posed similar questions about Quebec in the Canada forum, so I doubt this is near and dear to your heart

Old 08-26-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Puerto Rico's not going to lose Spanish. I'm from there, and even though most of us are very proud to be Americans, we're also very proud to be Puerto Rican and Spanish is a part of our identity. We're not like the Mexicans that live in the states that lose their ability to lose Spanish almost completely by the 3rd generation.

And I agree with the above poster, you are pretty much borderline spamming, OP, if not doing so already. You already have practically half the first page with your OPs, plus you posed similar questions about Quebec in the Canada forum, so I doubt this is near and dear to your heart
Well, then, how would we make sure spanish was spoken after statehood? And again, I'm sorry. We can keep the discussion to one thread can't we?

Old 08-26-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
Well, then, how would we make sure spanish was spoken after statehood? And again, I'm sorry. We can keep the discussion to one thread can't we?
Congresistas respaldan que el ELA es opción válida

Does this mean the enhanced commonwealth is an option? (It's in spanish)

Old 08-26-2013, 06:37 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,059,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid55 View Post
Congresistas respaldan que el ELA es opción válida

Does this mean the enhanced commonwealth is an option? (It's in spanish)
I have a feeling this is going to end up before the US Supreme Court ...

Old 08-26-2013, 07:23 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,853,640 times
Let's keep this just to one thread.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
Let's keep this just to one thread.
Alright.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:14 PM

1,980 posts, read 2,081,469 times
Puerto Rico will never become a federal state. The "antis" on the island are numerous enough (between the status quo and pro-independence people), but many Americans on the mainland oppose statehood. Puerto Rico is more like a separate nation with its own culture. It does not want to lose its culture and identity and language, no matter how long this would take. (Playing on the U.S. Olympic team under the American flag and many other things you give up when you opt for statehood? Puerto Ricans won't accept that.)

Congress would have to approve statehood, and a Spanish-language state is just impossible. More Democrats want it (for more Democratic voters), but Republicans will never approve it (more Dem senators and representatives, and more federal funds for welfare). Puerto Rico is considered too poor, too backward outside its bigger cities, and the poverty level is higher than Mississippi's (our poorest state). The opposition will be formidable, and the pro-statehood side hasn't a chance. The 2012 referendum was quite sleazy, really, and the results are not impressive. No one believes this is a mandate for statehood, and statehood would be tricky enough even if the referendum had been a mandate.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 08-27-2013 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories