U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:34 AM

1,486 posts, read 2,571,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post

Fifth Avenue apartments are boarded up and its residents flee. As of lately it has been taken over by rowdy Dominicans and Blacks with Puerto Rican flags making us all look like thugs.
^ Not racist. At all. My brother lives in New Haven and I lived on the island for two years, don't start.

Quite many other groups, there are far too many unsavory, thugged out Puerto Ricans. Please don't blame it on others, your countrymen have their fair share of embarrassing representatives.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-13-2013, 03:12 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,311,600 times
The pictures highlight a socioeconomic slice of the Puerto Rican conglomerate that attempted to assimilate to the American Story through the urban African-American underclass, staring in the 1940s. As such, the folkloric undertones highlighted by those pictures are so interchangeable with the urban poor Black archetype it's almost too predictable. Neyoricans are by and large an offspring of that urban African American assimilation. They attempt to distance themselves by white self-identification, but after 2 generations of interacial mixing with the African American community, even that self-identification gets dismissed pretty readily. What remains is, for a lack of a better word, an "arroz con gandules" of African-American cultural idiosyncrasies that fall well short of accurately representing the Puerto Rican culture in the island.

Not all Puerto Ricans that emigrated share this experience nor are otherwise culturally identified by the pictures posted. You are unlikely to find us amongst the participants to these parades. The problem is we are the minority amongst Puerto Ricans, and our collective assertion that these African-American cultural archetypes are not representative of the educated and white hispanic conglomerate of 1st generation emigrant Puerto Ricans is viewed with scorn by Newyoricans, who proceed to accuse us of selling out our culture. Since they are loud and offensive and we are polite and productive, the collective American Physique defaults to associating the Puerto Rican experience to that under-educated urban black demographic, simply because they are louder.

Nothing we can do about it. Small victories are won everyday by silent Puerto Ricans forging our cultural name within the rank and file of this Great Country. I've already attained my statehood via emigrating to the CONUS. I no longer have to drape myself with the Puerto Rican flag and clamor for equality from an underrepresented island. All I had to do to attain that equality was educate myself and have a willingness to view my Country in the collective, and a 500 dollar one-way airline ticket on Delta in 1998.

Meh. They can have their parade. The poor need beer and circuses.
Rate this post positively
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories