Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 05:12 PM

36 posts, read 80,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush71 View Post

You won't go to a festival that has multiple cultures representing from food, dances and art including your culture and meet people from your state? ......the only way you go is if they make one exclusively for your culture?......LOL.....well you just made my point, some Puerto Ricans think their culture is superior than others and that's how they behave in the Puerto Rican Parade in NYC every year.
LOL, come to DE when they have their St. Patrick's day parade, you wont see them in any other parade that isn't sporting GREEN. All nationalities have their goof balls

Old 09-08-2013, 07:00 PM

79 posts, read 387,763 times
Quote:
so you are saying some Hispanic cultures are more important than others? or a minority culture in a state is more important than others?

Why not have culture festival/parade of ALL the cultures that represent the state.......all the cultures that have history in the state and have contributed to the state and nation so EVERYBODY can participate.

You won't go to a festival that has multiple cultures representing from food, dances and art including your culture and meet people from your state? ......the only way you go is if they make one exclusively for your culture?......LOL.....well you just made my point, some Puerto Ricans think their culture is superior than others and that's how they behave in the Puerto Rican Parade in NYC every year.
so you are saying no nationality isn't important enough to have its own parade? having a parade for everyone is like celebrating the birthdays of everyone in a family home so they won't have to have more than 1 party a year, the original question was why is it that certain nationalities have more pride than others, it's not just because they are the majority group in a state but even in countries I've seen some show more pride than others, the question was, in this case, why do puerto ricans do? what part of their culture are they so proud of?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:20 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
The Puerto Rican Day Parade was started by the Puerto Rico Institute of Culture at the behest of the pro-colony Partido Popular Democratico in the late 1950s an attempt to take people's attention away from the shortcomings of the so called "best of both worlds" status that was achieved in 1952 at a time when two other US territories - Hawaii and Alaska - were moving towards statehood because of those same, obvious shortcomings.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 AM

396 posts, read 364,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusnred View Post
so you are saying no nationality isn't important enough to have its own parade? having a parade for everyone is like celebrating the birthdays of everyone in a family home so they won't have to have more than 1 party a year, the original question was why is it that certain nationalities have more pride than others, it's not just because they are the majority group in a state but even in countries I've seen some show more pride than others, the question was, in this case, why do puerto ricans do? what part of their culture are they so proud of?

I don't need to be a part of a parade every year where people act silly and get drunk in public to have pride for my culture.

Maybe the definition of showing pride for your culture is different than others........maybe for some is symbols like flags , parades , Ass contest (Miss Universe), drinking and being loud. For me is getting a job, keeping a job, being a good citizen, being a good father, being good husband, doing charity work, helping others, not doing things to bring shame and dishonor to my family and country.

I don't need to be part of a silly parade every year that is pointless to feel proud of my culture. I personally find the Puerto Rican parade in NYC degrading to our culture and many Puerto Ricans in the island and around the U.S. feel the same way. I find it ghetto.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:20 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,288 times
Strangely, In this Rush, I agree with you!

The NYC Puerto Rican Parade is a money maker for Bronx poverty pimps and it's a display of poverty which only reinforces stereotypes. The organizers whip up Puerto Rican pride instead of using the money the parade generates for scholarships and voter registration drives. It has gradually become a bill board for Goya and other Hispanic products, making the parade a tacky affair. Imagine, And THIS I KNOW FOR A FACT, each float costs from $3000 up, placing a heavy burden on many participants who have to contribute the money.

Fifth Avenue apartments are boarded up and its residents flee. As of lately it has been taken over by rowdy Dominicans and Blacks with Puerto Rican flags making us all look like thugs.

For those who think of statehood, this parade is the worst publicity for that status choice. LOL

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-12-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 03:33 PM

79 posts, read 387,763 times
Quote:
I don't need to be a part of a parade every year where people act silly and get drunk in public to have pride for my culture.

Maybe the definition of showing pride for your culture is different than others........maybe for some is symbols like flags , parades , Ass contest (Miss Universe), drinking and being loud. For me is getting a job, keeping a job, being a good citizen, being a good father, being good husband, doing charity work, helping others, not doing things to bring shame and dishonor to my family and country.

I don't need to be part of a silly parade every year that is pointless to feel proud of my culture. I personally find the Puerto Rican parade in NYC degrading to our culture and many Puerto Ricans in the island and around the U.S. feel the same way. I find it ghetto.

what exactly is ghetto about the Puerto Rican parade? what must they do not to be ghetto? Are baseball fans who are cheering for their team also considered ghetto? What about those at a party at a club? Are they ghetto too?

Old 09-13-2013, 07:28 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusnred View Post
what exactly is ghetto about the Puerto Rican parade? what must they do not to be ghetto? Are baseball fans who are cheering for their team also considered ghetto? What about those at a party at a club? Are they ghetto too?

Over the top Napoleonic complex.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:09 AM

We could be here for months showing the obvious about this parade.........again, if you need to support this ghetto of a parade every year to feel proud about yourself and our culture then you have serious low self esteem issues and have no clue how bad this makes all of us look to the world.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:21 AM

and if things couldn't get more of a joke for a parade....guess who shows up to show his Puerto Rican pride support ......now its oficial this parade is a joke and a disgrace to our culture.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:14 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,335,400 times
Quote:
and if things couldn't get more of a joke for a parade....guess who shows up to show his Puerto Rican pride support ......now its oficial this parade is a joke and a disgrace to our culture.
That is so funny!

Ass kissing.

Sadly, some folks love to receive ass kissing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories