U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 04:11 PM

79 posts, read 369,576 times

Advertisements

I know there are some Hispanic nationalities who should more pride of where their country than others but what are some reasons why Puerto Ricans specifically show a lot of pride? Puerto Rican parade in New York is very popular even with those who aren't Puerto Rican. It's a big deal this parade.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-06-2013, 04:58 PM

25,058 posts, read 25,648,666 times
There is no Puerto Rican parade in Puerto Rico. This is only stateside, mostly celebrated by 3rd-4th generation mainlanders. I'm from PR and I never heard of the Puerto Rican Day parade until I moved to PA

Old 09-06-2013, 05:08 PM

12,028 posts, read 8,034,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusnred View Post
I know there are some Hispanic nationalities who should more pride of where their country than others but what are some reasons why Puerto Ricans specifically show a lot of pride? Puerto Rican parade in New York is very popular even with those who aren't Puerto Rican. It's a big deal this parade.
PR pride is common among those away from the island. These folks tend to have PR flags everywhere including the underwear.

It is mostly a Nuyorican thing.

However, in the island people tend to think we are the center of the world. There is a bit of NApoleonic complex.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:51 AM

396 posts, read 331,373 times
meanwhile the other Puerto Ricans living in the other states DON'T celebrate that, its a New York thing. Personally, I think is unnecessary with all the cultures in New York. They should have 1 big culture parade that includes everybody instead of treating some cultures better than others.

In my state in the MID-WEST We have a culture festival every summer that all cultures get together for the weekend in the fair grounds from Native Americans, Latinos, Somoans, Europeans, Orientals and Africans and have history seminars, dances, music, , art and food of different types of cultures and we do it as U.S. CITIZENS under the U.S. FLAG and we all share and have fun instead of having 1 parade for 1 particular culture/race of people that think their culture is superior than others by screaming and being loud for no other reason than being from that particular culture.

There is more to Puerto Rican culture, music, dances, food and history than dressing up from head to toe with the Puerto Rican flag like an insecure person and getting drunk and being loud every year in a silly parade that offers no purpose....Don't they get tired every year of the same thing? and the sad thing is most NUYORICANS don't know much about Puerto Rico.

Last edited by Rush71; 09-07-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 AM

13,877 posts, read 12,340,300 times
^That's not true, there is a PR Day parade in Cleveland, and I'm sure other cities also. It's not meant to say "my culture is superior", only that they exist and matter. That was the original intent of NYC's West Indian Day parade also, back when there was no representation or even "home" products available in city stores.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:13 AM

and you need a parade to feel that you exist and matter?.............sounds to me like insecurity.

why not have 1 culture festival with ALL the cultures representing the state that includes everyone?.............are you going to have a separate parade for the Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Italians, Irish, Jamaicans, African, Koreans , Arabs, European and every culture/race in New York?.............I guess NY has the tax dollars to spend.

I find it silly.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:52 AM

5,224 posts, read 8,505,018 times
the puerto rican parade in NY is an embarrassment.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:53 PM

79 posts, read 369,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush71 View Post
meanwhile the other Puerto Ricans living in the other states DON'T celebrate that, its a New York thing. Personally, I think is unnecessary with all the cultures in New York. They should have 1 big culture parade that includes everybody instead of treating some cultures better than others.

In my state in the MID-WEST We have a culture festival every summer that all cultures get together for the weekend in the fair grounds from Native Americans, Latinos, Somoans, Europeans, Orientals and Africans and have history seminars, dances, music, , art and food of different types of cultures and we do it as U.S. CITIZENS under the U.S. FLAG and we all share and have fun instead of having 1 parade for 1 particular culture/race of people that think their culture is superior than others by screaming and being loud for no other reason than being from that particular culture.

There is more to Puerto Rican culture, music, dances, food and history than dressing up from head to toe with the Puerto Rican flag like an insecure person and getting drunk and being loud every year in a silly parade that offers no purpose....Don't they get tired every year of the same thing? and the sad thing is most NUYORICANS don't know much about Puerto Rico.

but all hispanic cultures are not the same and it just doesn't make sense to have 1 parade for all hispanics, plus it's better to have it the way it's done, that way you can learn about 1 specific nationality at a time, if they make 1 for all hispanics then I wouldn't even go since it's not really for my hispanic nationality

Old 09-07-2013, 07:33 PM

13,877 posts, read 12,340,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush71 View Post
and you need a parade to feel that you exist and matter?.............sounds to me like insecurity.

why not have 1 culture festival with ALL the cultures representing the state that includes everyone?.............are you going to have a separate parade for the Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Italians, Irish, Jamaicans, African, Koreans , Arabs, European and every culture/race in New York?.............I guess NY has the tax dollars to spend.

I find it silly.
Perhaps in this day and age where diversity is valued, it's not necessary. It was a different story back in the day where anyone who wasn't part of the dominant (WASP) culture was an "other" and usually oppressed in one way or another.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusnred View Post
but all hispanic cultures are not the same and it just doesn't make sense to have 1 parade for all hispanics, plus it's better to have it the way it's done, that way you can learn about 1 specific nationality at a time, if they make 1 for all hispanics then I wouldn't even go since it's not really for my hispanic nationality

so you are saying some Hispanic cultures are more important than others? or a minority culture in a state is more important than others?

Why not have culture festival/parade of ALL the cultures that represent the state.......all the cultures that have history in the state and have contributed to the state and nation so EVERYBODY can participate.

You won't go to a festival that has multiple cultures representing from food, dances and art including your culture and meet people from your state? ......the only way you go is if they make one exclusively for your culture?......LOL.....well you just made my point, some Puerto Ricans think their culture is superior than others and that's how they behave in the Puerto Rican Parade in NYC every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.