Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:53 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,391,427 times

Advertisements

Ok, this may turn out to be one heck of a controversial thread, but it needs to be discussed. And please, let's not BS ourselves.

As many of us will agree and admit, drug use is rampant almost everywhere in Puerto Rico. Alcohol aside, it's a known fact that people have smoked weed and have used other illicit drugs for decades. So, given PR's high drug consumption it does NOT seem unreasonable to - in the very least - propose the legalization of the most harmless drugs of them all, i.e., Marijuana.

One would think that most people would favor legalization given that it would deglamorize its consumption and possibly reduce its use. But NO! Not in Puerto Rico! Seems like >70% of those surveyed voted against any such proposal. Please see the following Spanish article link which appeared today in El Nuevo Dia newspaper:

Rotundo

What does this say about Puerto Rico, Puerto Ricans, and our way of thinking?

Are we hypocrites?

Are we afraid to look at reality in the face?

Are we the type who'd rather take the path of saying "NO" to everything and liberate ourselves from being introspective, analytical, and realistic?

Your comments/thoughts are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 05:21 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,030,516 times
I found people there very polarized on the issue. Either they smoked without thinking, or it was in the exact same category as the hard stuff. There didn't seem to be much in between when I lived there.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:14 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,101,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I found people there very polarized on the issue. Either they smoked without thinking, or it was in the exact same category as the hard stuff. There didn't seem to be much in between when I lived there.
Sounds like typical Puerto Rico LOL

Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 AM

As I've said in the past to others, Puerto Rico's National Sport is not Baseball. The National Sport is saying NO to anything and everything! Just off the top of my memory I can name several proposals that have been rotundly declined by PR's voting populace, such as:

- El Supertubo (a fresh water pipeline which was ultimately installed)

- El Gasoducto (a natural gas pipeline)

- Waste-to-Energy facilities (despite severe waste management problems, not one has been built)

- CEMEX (a cement plant in Ponce which was ultimately installed)

- Coal Fired Power Plant in Guayama (the plant was ultimately installed)

- Sale of Potable Water to St. Thomas (Don't know what happened)

- Cellphone antennas in Moca (ultimately installed)

Saying NO appears to be part of the culture.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:57 AM

355 posts, read 716,606 times
Consider the possibility that the greater portion of the voting population feels extraordinarily victimized by the level of drugged fueled crime (burglaries, robberies, car jackings, shootings, gang violence) common to the San Juan and surrounding areas and don't see a separation between marijuana and other illegal drugs.

Granted marijuana users, people who use just marijuana are not the persons responsible for these crimes but marijuana is almost always used by people who use harder drugs, the crack, cocaine and heroin users etc.. With the level of helplessness that the general population feels in regard to the relationship between crime and drug use it wasn't a surprise that legal marijuana use was rejected.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unPescador View Post
Consider the possibility that the greater portion of the voting population feels extraordinarily victimized by the level of drugged fueled crime (burglaries, robberies, car jackings, shootings, gang violence) common to the San Juan and surrounding areas and don't see a separation between marijuana and other illegal drugs.

Granted marijuana users, people who use just marijuana are not the persons responsible for these crimes but marijuana is almost always used by people who use harder drugs, the crack, cocaine and heroin users etc.. With the level of helplessness that the general population feels in regard to the relationship between crime and drug use it wasn't a surprise that legal marijuana use was rejected.
Good point! It's easy for most people to associate marijuana with other drugs and crimes. Yet, truthfully, most people high on weed just want to chill, eat, listen to music, and laugh a little. Committing a crime is probably the last thing on the mind of anyone who's smoked a joint.

Meanwhile, places like Colorado move forward in the right direction by legalizing and now TAXING marijuana:

National ballot measures: They'll tax pot in Colorado - CNN.com

Old 11-06-2013, 08:09 AM

355 posts, read 716,606 times
Chacho - I agree, folks who just smoke pot are not the criminal element that people are afraid of. But I don't believe with the current level of drug related crime in PR people are going to separate the two.

Personally I believe if drugs were decriminalized and the profit taken out of the business then the crime problem would resolve itself. Tax them and use the proceeds for education and we'd all come out ahead.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 AM

351 posts, read 370,195 times
Chacho:

I assume you are a pot smoker or former.

Marijuana affects the mind and once you are hooked to that it could lead to other powerful drugs. The last thing we need is to have a bunch of people under the influence of pot behind the wheel and out in public.

I have been around pot heads all my life and I know what it does when you are hooked into that.

and you are right, one of the side effects of a pot smoker is he/she doesn't give a damn about anything, they are in their own fantasy world escape from reality.

if you think that's good for society then go ahead and open the can of worms. There is a reason why the military and most work places ban that stuff and do testing. They don't want that environment in the workplace.

if you are an adult and want to smoke that cr@p in the privacy of your home that's your business but when in comes to CHILDREN and the public then its EVERYBODY'S business.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 AM

351 posts, read 370,195 times
SHORT-TERM EFFECTS

• Sensory distortion
  • Panic
  • Anxiety
  • Poor coordination of movement
  • Lowered reaction time
  • After an initial “up,” the user feels sleepy or depressed
  • Increased heartbeat (and risk of heart attack)
LONG-term effects of marijuana

• Reduced resistance to common illnesses (colds, bronchitis, etc.)
  • Suppression of the immune system
  • Growth disorders
  • Increase of abnormally structured cells in the body
  • Reduction of male sex hormones
  • Rapid destruction of lung fibers and lesions (injuries) to the brain could be permanent
  • Reduced sexual capacity
  • Study difficulties: reduced ability to learn and retain information
  • Apathy, drowsiness, lack of motivation
  • Personality and mood changes
  • Inability to understand things clearly

if you want to legalize this drug guess who is going to pay for the consequences? the taxpayers and working class with higher taxes and higher premiums on the health care industry.

I have been around pot heads all my life and I wouldn't trust them babysitting my kids or operating machinery under the influence.

Would you want your airline pilot under the influence of pot while you are up in the air? would you want your kids bus school driver under the influence driving your kids everyday to and from school?

Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush99 View Post
Chacho:

I assume you are a pot smoker or former.

Marijuana affects the mind and once you are hooked to that it could lead to other powerful drugs. The last thing we need is to have a bunch of people under the influence of pot behind the wheel and out in public.

I have been around pot heads all my life and I know what it does when you are hooked into that.

and you are right, one of the side effects of a pot smoker is he/she doesn't give a damn about anything, they are in their own fantasy world escape from reality.

if you think that's good for society then go ahead and open the can of worms. There is a reason why the military and most work places ban that stuff and do testing. They don't want that environment in the workplace.

if you are an adult and want to smoke that cr@p in the privacy of your home that's your business but when in comes to CHILDREN and the public then its EVERYBODY'S business.
The last time I lit up a fat one, I was 21 years old. That was a loooong time ago.

From what I've read, MJ is not physically addictive. It is psychologically addictive.

Those who overindulge in its use tend to appear unconcerned about life's day-to-day obligations and responsibilities.

As with alcohol consumption, smoking MJ must be banned from workplaces and from those driving motorized vehicles.

Neither would I advocate it's use in open public spaces. Anyone wanting to smoke weed should do it in the privacy of their homes.

As like in Colorado, it should be regulated and taxed by the gov't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories