Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 PM

116 posts, read 232,780 times

Advertisements

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but how are african-americans treated in puerto rico? Would it be hard to find a job there if you dont know any spanish? Also, can anyone provide any info about relocating to Puerto Rico? Thanks : )

Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
I can only tell you about Ponce (and from the posts I have read it sounds like it is a whole different world in the San Juan metro area). It would be hard to get a job in Ponce without speaking Spanish. It's hard to get a job period. Most people here are friendly but there is a small minority that is hostile towards people from the U.S.

What do you want to know about relocating to Puerto Rico?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,948 times
you may become known as el negro

i was el flaco

some people are gordo, chino, even cheestrix

no insult intended. its just how it is.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but how are african-americans treated in puerto rico? )
Before responding to this thread, I offer you the following article (it's in Spanish) about an African-American baseball player who went to Puerto Rico once. . .and never left.

Pelotero de la vida | Vocero.com

IMHO, there are two things you should consider if you feel compelled to ask this questions:

1. You need to do some serious research about Puerto Rico's African (not African-American) heritage. Puerto Rico may possibly be the only place on Earth where "Africanness" is truly celebrated and admired. Matter of fact, In Puerto Rico, the word "Negro" is a term of endearment. Unlike one the U.S. mainland, the term "Negro" carries a POSITIVE connotation. It's a good thing! In other words, calling someone "Negro" is one of the nicest compliments you can bestow upon a person, regardless of that person's race or color. That alone should clue you into the answer to your question.

2. The only way you'll be able to answer your question is by visiting the island for a week or two and drawing your own conclusions. Of course, if you're gonna go there to throw your "African-American" weight around and expect for people run in fear of you, then you're gonna be in for a gigantic surprise. I'll just leave it at that, and I hope you don't try to find out "what I mean."

It would be fair to say that most Puerto Rican's feel a particular appreciation towards Black people no matter where they're from. There's a certain kindredness felt in our veins towards most anyone who shares a connection with Africa.

I'd love to read the opinion of other poster's.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Before responding to this thread, I offer you the following article (it's in Spanish) about an African-American baseball player who went to Puerto Rico once. . .and never left.

Pelotero de la vida | Vocero.com

IMHO, there are two things you should consider if you feel compelled to ask this questions:

1. You need to do some serious research about Puerto Rico's African (not African-American) heritage. Puerto Rico may possibly be the only place on Earth where "Africanness" is truly celebrated and admired. Matter of fact, In Puerto Rico, the word "Negro" is a term of endearment. Unlike one the U.S. mainland, the term "Negro" carries a POSITIVE connotation. It's a good thing! In other words, calling someone "Negro" is one of the nicest compliments you can bestow upon a person, regardless of that person's race or color. That alone should clue you into the answer to your question.

2. The only way you'll be able to answer your question is by visiting the island for a week or two and drawing your own conclusions. Of course, if you're gonna go there to throw your "African-American" weight around and expect for people run in fear of you, then you're gonna be in for a gigantic surprise. I'll just leave it at that, and I hope you don't try to find out "what I mean."

It would be fair to say that most Puerto Rican's feel a particular appreciation towards Black people no matter where they're from. There's a certain kindredness felt in our veins towards most anyone who shares a connection with Africa.

I'd love to read the opinion of other poster's.
I go there fairly often, as some of my family live there (including my wife's African American aunt). I agree with you on many of your points above, although I wouldn't say that PR universally loves its Africanness....... but when I run into PRs who share my Afro-Latinness or my love for it, it is absolutely magical. I loved going to an antique shop in Old San Juan that had slave documents (and shackles!), and the black history museum there (though it was really small). Of course, Loiza and Carolina and Santurce are nice too. I also loved how friendly the folks in Puerto Rico were. I remember several occasions where people just walked up to me and started conversing. It was great being there.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:40 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Most people here are friendly but there is a small minority that is hostile towards people from the U.S.
Thats funny, considering Puerto Rico IS the U.S! What is it with Puerto Ricans having the delusion that it's not? Take a look at the $$ in your pocket lately? Whats is say on it???? The fact that PR's a Commonwealth seems to make people think your somehow NOT the US, I guess MA,PA,KY and VA aren't the US either then.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:16 AM

536 posts, read 823,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Take a look at the $$ in your pocket lately? Whats is say on it????
There are several countries outside the US that use the dollar as their currency.
El Salvador and Panama for example.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:13 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
I agree with what Chacho is expressing.
There might be some places that I don't know about where this wouldn't be like that, but , generally speaking African Americans are seen as the same as the rest of the other races.
And it is so true that Negro is a term of endearment. It is like they say Honey in the US.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Wouldn't they be African-Puerto Ricans?

Old 03-13-2011, 04:59 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Wouldn't they be African-Puerto Ricans?
OP was not talking about the African people from Puerto Rico. He was talking about US mainlanders of African American ancestry who were interested in moving to Puerto Rico or traveling there.

He was wondering how Puerto Ricans in general regarded African American immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories