U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 03:25 PM

2,880 posts, read 3,420,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
That's very interesting because we don't use that word! Maybe there was no mistaking the connotation, but there was definitely mistaking the nationality. We don't use MONO for monkeys.

Mexican Spanish vocabulary

Not saying a large swath of Mexicans don't have ignorant views of blacks (poor people IN GENERAL don't have enlightened world views, fyi) ... just pointing out an irregularity.
See Joleado! I'm not the only one who has heard mexicans refer to blacks and maids as "monos and monas." I arrest my case.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 AM

984 posts, read 3,316,739 times
Quote:
To answer the very very old thread: Are there racial divides in puerto along socioeconomic lines due to the history of colonialism? Oh yeah. One can argue they are less pronounced than other areas, but if you go to LOIZA, it's an Afro-PuertoRican and the're not doing too hot. Check out the native owners of the Condos in Condado, Isla Verde,, or members of the country clubs: they're generally a lot fairer skinned.

Nevertheless, it's not AS pronounced as, say, in PERU, because there is a strong U.S. influence, and many PRicans that return after living in the U.S. bring back
enlightened ideas about race and equality. Add to this a latinamerican twist: Aside from slavery there was never any institutional segregation of blacks and whites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loinonon View Post
Yes, there is a preference for all things lighter in Puerto Rico, but there is a greater acceptance (not just tolerance like in the US) of black people at the same time. Because there is no one drop rule and like the person above mentioned, history of segregation, blacks and whites have not been kept apart. Most people are a mix of both black and white with some Native American mixed in. Many Puerto Ricans have family members who would be considered black in the US, so it is hard to be completely prejudicial toward a group that most likely includes some of your family members. That is not to say that Puerto Ricans cannot be prejudiced toward black people of other nationalities, such as African Americans or Dominicans, because they certainly can be, but overall, skin color isn't considered as important, such an indicator of fate as it is in the United States.

I do want to agree that yes, Mexico has deeper race divisions, than Puerto Rico. As a black Puerto Rican, I have been the target of more discrimination from Mexicans than whites and African Americans combined. Mexico may be diverse but there is sharp division between those who have (usually fair) and those who do not (usually darker) and that divide is much stronger than it is in Puerto Rico. No one is going to bat an eye at a black doctor in Puerto Rico but in California, I have seen recent Mexican immigrants display open hostility towards black Puerto Ricans who were more professionally successful than they were. This attitude is less prevalent among Mexicans who have been in the US for a while, so I suspect that these recent arrivals are bringing with them an attitude that is more prevalent to Mexico itself.
It's true that the US is a very race conscious society, but the existence of such grouping facilitates the minority to gain recognition.
If you look at the situation in many Latin American countries, those who are not White don't really have a separate identity, thus it's difficult for them to get themselves acknowledged and so they remained "invisible".
I'm not saying that there are no changes. It's just that some things are harder to achieve exactly for the lack of such open racism as in the US.
It's difficult for many countries to accept other races because they don't even realize or even deny the existence of others.
//www.city-data.com/forum/6245731-post105.html

It's exactly the lack of a solid, separate identity like that of the Blacks in the USA, that renders anything comparable to the "Civil Rights Movement" almost impossible.
Brazil has tried to introduce Affirmative Action, yet such thing is -regardless of whether you support it or not- difficult to implement because they can't even agree on who is Black and who is not.
So Latin American societies easily remain oblivious to their minorities, particularly those who are not White, and these can hardly gain recognition for the reason mentioned.
//www.city-data.com/forum/10774073-post76.html

Old 10-29-2009, 10:28 AM

758 posts, read 2,004,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
It's true that the US is a very race conscious society, but the existence of such grouping facilitates the minority to gain recognition.
If you look at the situation in many Latin American countries, those who are not White don't really have a separate identity, thus it's difficult for them to get themselves acknowledged and so they remained "invisible".
I'm not saying that there are no changes. It's just that some things are harder to achieve exactly for the lack of such open racism as in the US.
It's difficult for many countries to accept other races because they don't even realize or even deny the existence of others.
//www.city-data.com/forum/6245731-post105.html

It's exactly the lack of a solid, separate identity like that of the Blacks in the USA, that renders anything comparable to the "Civil Rights Movement" almost impossible.
Brazil has tried to introduce Affirmative Action, yet such thing is -regardless of whether you support it or not- difficult to implement because they can't even agree on who is Black and who is not.
So Latin American societies easily remain oblivious to their minorities, particularly those who are not White, and these can hardly gain recognition for the reason mentioned.
//www.city-data.com/forum/10774073-post76.html

You articulated that beautifully. I don't think anyone has put it in those exact words on this thread, and it is EXACTLY what I (in my horrible english patois) was trying to explain.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:39 AM

2,880 posts, read 3,420,269 times
Quote:
you articulated that beautifully. I don't think anyone has put it in those exact words on this thread, and it is exactly what i (in my horrible english patois) was trying to explain.
Ay chuus joleado! Que patois tu eres!!! I knew there was something funny about you...and I don't mean funny-ha ha!!!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:30 AM

12 posts, read 48,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I would say I am Puerto Rican, with ancestors from Africa, Europe and Boriken.
I agree.

When people ask me what's your ethenity or what race I am, I tell them I'm spanish, half puerto rican and salvadorian, based on where my parents are "from". To sit here and try to debate this now a days is like pounding my head into a cement wall and hopefully making a dent

It's all about how you were raised and taught to believe. That's where things get separated and complicated. But in the end from a scientific and historical perspective homosapien evolution came from that land we now call Africa and spread from there to what we are now ( i know people will not except this). Once you start labeling people, race and etc that’s when things get complicated

Just be proud of who you are and your heritage, and respect others as yours isn't more above than the next.

I'd say PR is like any other place in the world when it comes down to being racially integrated. Just use common sense in any city you go to and you should be fine

Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 PM

549 posts, read 1,547,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Is Puerto Rico a racially integrated place? Or is like Mexico where the euro descendants dominate, and just make themselves rich by holding everyone else down.
Carlos Slim, the person who dominates the Mexican economy, is a Mexican national of Lebanese ancestry. He is also the richest man in the world (59 billions). He owns like 1/5 of México.
On the other hand, the Saudis dominate the u.s. Economy. If they pull their trillions out, we would go bankrupt. (puerto rico = usa)

Last edited by Eduardo983; 11-05-2009 at 08:52 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 06:39 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,801,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
On the other hand, the Saudis dominate the u.s. Economy. If they pull their trillions out, we would go bankrupt. (puerto rico = usa)
^^^^^ What is your source for this? Can you provide a link? I couldn't find anything online to back this assertion. I always heard that Jews control the US economy, not the Saudis.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,034,675 times
I'm sure a lot of neo-Nazis would agree with you.

Last edited by Sandhillian; 11-06-2009 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: cut

Old 11-25-2009, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,955 times
Yes that's what I'm talking about, finally someone knows what they'er talking about,
Puerto Rico is by far the most intergrated country in the world . Look it up, those that may doubt it.
It is a proven fact. and proud of it, but when I'm asked my nationallity, I reply, I'm an Earthling!, it really freaks them out.

Last edited by victor caban; 11-25-2009 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: educate with out hate

Old 12-01-2009, 11:26 AM

67 posts, read 13,191 times
I was born in Puerto Rico the most intergrated country in the world, my father is Arab and my mother is German and I guess I am a Mutt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or