U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 10:06 PM

31 posts, read 154,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor caban View Post
Yes that's what I'm talking about, finally someone knows what they'er talking about,
Puerto Rico is by far the most intergrated country in the world . Look it up, those that may doubt it.
It is a proven fact. and proud of it, but when I'm asked my nationallity, I reply, I'm an Earthling!, it really freaks them out.
According to everbody else there is no such thing as a Puerto Rican or a Puerto Rican nationality. We lost that decades ago when we became part of America. There really isn't a Puerto Rican identity anymore. Puerto Rico is becoming more and more like America. Alot has changed since I first went down there when I was a kid till now.

Anyways, that being said, I'm from Black Puerto Rican origins myself, both my parents look full black. All my family looks almost full black. My wife is also a afro-boricua if you guys want to call it that, she is a little bit lighter than me but she would also look black to anybody who wouldn't know she was from Puerto Rico, she actually grew up in Mayaguez, PR.. As far as racism goes There has never been a racist or comment towards me from lighter boricuas, most Puerto Ricans do have family members that look black as well, even if they look really white. Additionally, I have never been treated different by other Puerto Ricans. But Mexicans oooh hoo you guys... if I end up talking to them in spanish, they look at me and say "mayate where did you learn to speak spanish?" and I say from my parents just like you. Its always really funny when they talk bad about you in spanish thinking you wouldn't hear... it always has something to do with "Este mayate, este negro, este prieto"

Old 02-19-2011, 02:31 AM

686 posts, read 1,555,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Carmona View Post
According to everbody else there is no such thing as a Puerto Rican or a Puerto Rican nationality. We lost that decades ago when we became part of America. There really isn't a Puerto Rican identity anymore. Puerto Rico is becoming more and more like America. Alot has changed since I first went down there when I was a kid till now.

Anyways, that being said, I'm from Black Puerto Rican origins myself, both my parents look full black. All my family looks almost full black. My wife is also a afro-boricua if you guys want to call it that, she is a little bit lighter than me but she would also look black to anybody who wouldn't know she was from Puerto Rico, she actually grew up in Mayaguez, PR.. As far as racism goes There has never been a racist or comment towards me from lighter boricuas, most Puerto Ricans do have family members that look black as well, even if they look really white. Additionally, I have never been treated different by other Puerto Ricans. But Mexicans oooh hoo you guys... if I end up talking to them in spanish, they look at me and say "mayate where did you learn to speak spanish?" and I say from my parents just like you. Its always really funny when they talk bad about you in spanish thinking you wouldn't hear... it always has something to do with "Este mayate, este negro, este prieto"

Many of us got Tiano/indian looking people in are family too.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 AM

2,226 posts, read 4,596,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
so then what is the percentages?

------

The only nation in the Caribbean with a relatively "large" percentage of non-mixed white people is Cuba, about 30 percent of second or third generation descendants of Spaniards. The remaining population belongs to all shades of mulattoes, blacks, chinese and some indian blood.

The reason is that more than one million Spaniards immigrated to Cuba after the war of 1898. Even the Spanish soldiers that fought against Cubans resettled in Cuba (Castro's father, for example). Most of their descendants returned to Spain during the periods of turmoils of the island or fled to Miami.

The American Occupation of Cuba, 1898-1911 preserved all the Spanish properties in Cuba and opened the door to Spanish immigrants, while closed the door to Spanish immigration to Puerto Rico.

In fact, Cuba achieve a white majority during the 30's, but sugar industrialists imported illegally hundreds of thousands of Haitians and Jamaicans to keep sugar wages in a minimum.

Cuba is the only country in that area where the third largest city, Holguin, is predominantly white with no mulattoes or mixed people.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 PM

24,668 posts, read 35,106,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Carmona View Post

I'm Cuban and I lived in LA for a while. I got that stuff every day.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 PM

24,668 posts, read 35,106,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
------

The only nation in the Caribbean with a relatively "large" percentage of non-mixed white people is Cuba, about 30 percent of second or third generation descendants of Spaniards. The remaining population belongs to all shades of mulattoes, blacks, chinese and some indian blood.

The reason is that more than one million Spaniards immigrated to Cuba after the war of 1898. Even the Spanish soldiers that fought against Cubans resettled in Cuba (Castro's father, for example). Most of their descendants returned to Spain during the periods of turmoils of the island or fled to Miami.

The American Occupation of Cuba, 1898-1911 preserved all the Spanish properties in Cuba and opened the door to Spanish immigrants, while closed the door to Spanish immigration to Puerto Rico.

In fact, Cuba achieve a white majority during the 30's, but sugar industrialists imported illegally hundreds of thousands of Haitians and Jamaicans to keep sugar wages in a minimum.

Cuba is the only country in that area where the third largest city, Holguin, is predominantly white with no mulattoes or mixed people.

Cuba has never had a white majority. It does have a lot of whites, sure, but never have they been a majority. Only Florida's Cuban population is mostly white.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:38 PM

278 posts, read 565,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Is Puerto Rico a racially integrated place? Or is like Mexico where the euro descendants dominate, and just make themselves rich by holding everyone else down.
The average Puerto Rican looks mediterranean (Ricky Martín).

Someone who looks like Lou Diamond Phillips would look very foreign in Puerto Rico.

Para bailar la bamba se necesita una copa de gracia. Ahí arriba y arriba por ti seré, por ti seré, por ti seré.... Bamba bamba...

Last edited by Venezuelan; 04-30-2011 at 11:53 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 01:31 PM

958 posts, read 1,295,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
The average Puerto Rican looks mediterranean (Ricky Martín).

Someone who looks like Lou Diamond Phillips would look very foreign in Puerto Rico.

Para bailar la bamba se necesita una copa de gracia. Ahí arriba y arriba por ti seré, por ti seré, por ti seré.... Bamba bamba...
Bullcrap, how can the average Puerto Rican look Mediterranean when the average Puerto Rican has 15% Native American and 21% Sub Saharian African admixture.
History Shaped the Geographic Distribution of Genomic Admixture in Puerto Rico

Someone with 15% Native American and 21% Sub Saharian African admixture is going to look very different from the average Southern European.

The average Puerto Rican only has 63% European admixture which is way low compared to Europeans and White Americans who are damn near 100% European in ancestry.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:29 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,206,344 times
Uhh I'm so tired of these racial arguments! Come down here and be the judge. You have every shade imaginable. You have people that look like they're from France, people that look Italian, people that look East Indian, mestizos, mulattos, pure Africans, red heads, blondes, peoole with brown skin and green eyes, Asians, tri-racial people..and they're all one culture, 100 percent Boricua. So who cares!? This place is a melting pot, the United States is a salad bowl. People here will swear they are part African and Indian when they are clearly only European. It doesn't matter, this is a place where the population is proud of the cultural medley.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:56 PM

686 posts, read 1,555,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Bullcrap, how can the average Puerto Rican look Mediterranean when the average Puerto Rican has 15% Native American and 21% Sub Saharian African admixture.
History Shaped the Geographic Distribution of Genomic Admixture in Puerto Rico

Someone with 15% Native American and 21% Sub Saharian African admixture is going to look very different from the average Southern European.

The average Puerto Rican only has 63% European admixture which is way low compared to Europeans and White Americans who are damn near 100% European in ancestry.

Cool link Tiger blood.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 AM

61,908 posts, read 87,461,924 times
aab7855 is right. You can find a wide range of people with roots in Ireland, Spain, from western Africa, Asians, Native Americans and in between. For instance, look up Loiza, which is a mostly Black community that was founded by runaway slaves with origins with the Yoruba of present day Nigeria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or