U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 05:56 AM

686 posts, read 1,543,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColombianaBoricua View Post
i've visited both many times but i was born and raised in colombia and lived with my gran til i was 6 then my mom came back and got me and i've been living in new york ever since but me and mom went back and forth to fajardo during summers and i'd get to visit my gran sometimes too but only when my mom had the money to send me. i visit both every year now since i have my own money which cities have u visited in puerto rico?

Sn juan, Orocovis maybe a few others, I've only been there twice and it was a while ago. I want to go back to, but no time.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:18 AM

55 posts, read 261,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Sn juan, Orocovis maybe a few others, I've only been there twice and it was a while ago. I want to go back to, but no time.
i've been to san juan, ponce, mayaguez and loiza.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColombianaBoricua View Post
i've been to san juan, ponce, mayaguez and loiza.

You've been all over the island.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
You've been all over the island.
i guess i have lol

Old 05-29-2011, 10:08 AM

516 posts, read 650,326 times
Im not a expert on PR but I have been there a few times [1 year at the longest]. From what I have seen, the vast majority of Puerto Ricans are heavily mixed race and look like a Black-White mix [favoring the white side but have obvious black and white heritage]. But there is a White minority in Puerto Rico and a Black minority who are both mostly not mixed, that is where claims of racism in PR tend to be spotted. The Mulatto population seems to not suffer extremes in prejudice.

For one, most of the more prestigious jobs [ie-better paying and safer work] tend to be held by "White" Puerto Ricans, in San Juan it is very noticable. Tourist wise from the areas I visited almost all of the guides were White - very White [blonde hair, blue eyes] Puerto Ricans. They get heavy tips from the tourists and overall they make a very good living considering Puerto Rico is cheap to live at compared to the mainland US. Out of atleast one hundred Puerto Ricans employed in the Tourist "industry" I did not see one person who was a black Puerto Rican [besides a garbage collector], though there were a few mixed Ricans present. For work such as that that pays well in PR, seeing zero blacks was a surprise [black people overall seem to outnumber white PRs].

In addition to the Tourism industry, Lawyers tend to be White, Doctors [the "good" ones] and of course the upper class elected leadership of Puerto Rico are White.

I am sure racism goes much deeper than that in Puerto Rico, but you have to figure that for tourists, Puerto Rico wants to present a certain face to foreigners of who the Puerto Ricans are. And the lack of Black faces shows that Black people is not one of the faces PR identifies with, its Spanish [White] that Puerto Rico wants to present as who they are.

Also, look at the Puerto Rican census. Taking that at face value we are led to believe that PR is 80% White. Its not even close to that, Puerto rico is not a White majority island, its a mixed race island with heavy black ancestry. That shows that most Ricans would rather claim to be white than claim to be black or mixed race - which implies that there is a social stigma against African ancestry there.

But on another note and one which I found interesting while there, if you ask most of the "white" Puerto Ricans if they are white...The common reply was "Im not White. Im Spanish". Is that pure ignorance or what ?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Im not a expert on PR but I have been there a few times [1 year at the longest]. From what I have seen, the vast majority of Puerto Ricans are heavily mixed race and look like a Black-White mix [favoring the white side but have obvious black and white heritage]. But there is a White minority in Puerto Rico and a Black minority who are both mostly not mixed, that is where claims of racism in PR tend to be spotted. The Mulatto population seems to not suffer extremes in prejudice.

For one, most of the more prestigious jobs [ie-better paying and safer work] tend to be held by "White" Puerto Ricans, in San Juan it is very noticable. Tourist wise from the areas I visited almost all of the guides were White - very White [blonde hair, blue eyes] Puerto Ricans. They get heavy tips from the tourists and overall they make a very good living considering Puerto Rico is cheap to live at compared to the mainland US. Out of atleast one hundred Puerto Ricans employed in the Tourist "industry" I did not see one person who was a black Puerto Rican [besides a garbage collector], though there were a few mixed Ricans present. For work such as that that pays well in PR, seeing zero blacks was a surprise [black people overall seem to outnumber white PRs].

In addition to the Tourism industry, Lawyers tend to be White, Doctors [the "good" ones] and of course the upper class elected leadership of Puerto Rico are White.

I am sure racism goes much deeper than that in Puerto Rico, but you have to figure that for tourists, Puerto Rico wants to present a certain face to foreigners of who the Puerto Ricans are. And the lack of Black faces shows that Black people is not one of the faces PR identifies with, its Spanish [White] that Puerto Rico wants to present as who they are.

Also, look at the Puerto Rican census. Taking that at face value we are led to believe that PR is 80% White. Its not even close to that, Puerto rico is not a White majority island, its a mixed race island with heavy black ancestry. That shows that most Ricans would rather claim to be white than claim to be black or mixed race - which implies that there is a social stigma against African ancestry there.

But on another note and one which I found interesting while there, if you ask most of the "white" Puerto Ricans if they are white...The common reply was "Im not White. Im Spanish". Is that pure ignorance or what ?
yeah, your pretty spot on. thanks for your input

Old 05-30-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:

The mix of Pr is much more than just white and black, theres a substantial Amerindian component there too, almost equaling african ancestry.
Pr is a mostly tri racial island.

History Shaped the Geographic Distribution of Genomic Admixture in Puerto Rico

Old 06-02-2011, 04:51 PM

544 posts, read 1,066,108 times
Quote:

I am from Spain, and the "white americans" think that spanish people is not white. That's pure ignorance.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:16 AM

26,319 posts, read 43,384,255 times

Topic of this thread is Is Puerto Rico a racially integrated place or is it like Mexico

This thread is closed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or