U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 04:55 PM

222 posts, read 640,625 times

Advertisements

A good book to read for a little insight into the race problems in PR:Los Cuatro Pisos, by Jose Luis Gonzalez.

Also there was intermarrying between white Puerto Ricans on the island as an attempt to keep the race pure.

The House on the Lagoon, By Rosario Ferre which relates the historical development of these "elite puertorricans", who had their own marriage books (with approval from the Catholic Church). While others were mixing, they were marrying between themselves and keeping out all other non-whites.

Last edited by Khayla007; 02-26-2008 at 05:40 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 05:04 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,648,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
A good book to read for a little insight into the race problems in PR:

Your link didn't come through - try again!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:49 AM

19,578 posts, read 20,368,612 times
Quote:
A good book to read for a little insight into the race problems in PR:Los Cuatro Pisos, by Jose Luis Gonzalez.

Also there was intermarrying between white Puerto Ricans on the island as an attempt to keep the race pure.

The House on the Lagoon, By Rosario Ferre which relates the historical development of these "elite puertorricans", who had their own marriage books (with approval from the Catholic Church). While others were mixing, they were marrying between themselves and keeping out all other non-whites.
WOW, I always had a feeling that there was some inter marrying going on in PR. The gene pool is being diluted.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,886 times
Wink puertoricans

we have small island and yes we have politic problems and others but we treat every persone that same and is true yous see cristtina show on univicion and the buricuazo say this word you people mexican and cuba and others latin cuontry and we give the help and care cues we are all the same dont forget

Old 03-15-2008, 02:31 AM

451 posts, read 258,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Is Puerto Rico a racially integrated place? Or is like Mexico where the euro descendants dominate, and just make themselves rich by holding everyone else down.
There is racism in every country in the world including Puerto Rico, however I
must say, I have traveled the world and conclude that Porto-ricans are the
most integrated people I've seen. Year after year voted among the happiest people in the world.
Porto ricans are also the most welcoming people to visitors, and you know, no hidden agenda, no panhandlers there.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 AM

14,323 posts, read 19,977,131 times
Quote:

Interesting. I had no idea that there was intermarrying going on. I once heard of a family in Virginia that was light skinned and wanted to remain that way be intermarrying. The name of this family escapes me. At the time, I remember thinking that it was probably the sickest of practices. Committing incest so that you can have kids who are likely to have light skin is incredibly backwards.

I do have to admit though, that some of the most beautiful and prettiest woman that I've seen (even the older ones) have been Puerto Ricans. They seem a bit aloof however, and color struck. It's a shame.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:56 PM

222 posts, read 640,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Interesting. I had no idea that there was intermarrying going on. I once heard of a family in Virginia that was light skinned and wanted to remain that way be intermarrying. The name of this family escapes me. At the time, I remember thinking that it was probably the sickest of practices. Committing incest so that you can have kids who are likely to have light skin is incredibly backwards.

I do have to admit though, that some of the most beautiful and prettiest woman that I've seen (even the older ones) have been Puerto Ricans. They seem a bit aloof however, and color struck. It's a shame.
The problem in the world is that it has always been a sin to have black skin (which is usually not black but brown, not to be confused with Mexican brown). If you are told over and over that black is not beautiful, that light/white is better you may start to believe it. Dominicans also have a beautiful tone. But they will cross every continent to inform you that they have no black in them.

Black Americans use to do the paper bag test. Have you ever heard of that?

Old 03-17-2008, 03:06 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,648,812 times
MODERATOR: We're really off topic here...Is. Puerto Rico. Integrated. That's the topic...gentle reminder.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:16 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,522,733 times
Please let it go this is very interesting, and it has a lot to do with Puerto Rico and integration

This thread was initially a thread about race relations anyways

Old 03-17-2008, 11:02 PM

14,323 posts, read 19,977,131 times
Quote:
The problem in the world is that it has always been a sin to have black skin (which is usually not black but brown, not to be confused with Mexican brown). If you are told over and over that black is not beautiful, that light/white is better you may start to believe it. Dominicans also have a beautiful tone. But they will cross every continent to inform you that they have no black in them.

Black Americans use to do the paper bag test. Have you ever heard of that?

I haven't heard of that test. What is it about and where is it practiced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or