Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:49 PM

300 posts, read 438,403 times

Advertisements

and another thing, camping on the beach in PR isn't like camping on the beach in Costa Rica. Whole different ball game--but available none-the-less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 08:14 PM

35 posts, read 73,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4u View Post
Thanks b4u, got 2 nights reserved at Fortaleza at the the tail end of my trip. I have spots reserved in Culebra and Vieques so I don't end up with a sore back early in my trip. My camping expeditions are going to be El Yunque, Toro Negro and either Camuy, Playa Buye or Tres Hermanos.
I know I have to apply ahead for a permit in El Yunque, not quite so sure about that for the ones in the Parques National.

@chuck
Do you think that throughout all of history, we are safer now than ever? I mean I look at the utter violence that claimed so many lives of discoverers and adventurers (as well as ordinary folk) and wonder how in the world we made any "progress" at all. Do you imagine that any of them would have stayed home if they had a fear of being raided by pirates, eaten by Caribes or marooned by storms at sea, to name a few? Thanks for your concern.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:42 PM

87 posts, read 147,800 times
[quote= Do you think that throughout all of history, we are safer now than ever? I mean I look at the utter violence that claimed so many lives of discoverers and adventurers (as well as ordinary folk) and wonder how in the world we made any "progress" at all. Do you imagine that any of them would have stayed home if they had a fear of being raided by pirates, eaten by Caribes or marooned by storms at sea, to name a few? Thanks for your concern. [/quote]

If you survive, post some pics.....

Old 02-05-2014, 01:38 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
I camped at Flamenco Beach about 2 weeks ago-it was amazing. $20 per Night- Do it!

The other 3 nights we stayed at a nice hotel, cheap hotel and a hostel. We only had planned rooming for the first night at the nice hotel.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I camped at Flamenco Beach about 2 weeks ago-it was amazing. $20 per Night- Do it!
Awesome, thanks. How was the weather? Was it pretty dewy in the mornings? What about the no-seeums, sand fleas, and skeeters?
I used to spend weekends at Sunset Beach in Hawaii with a fire and blankets on the sand, but every mornig it was a little damp. I guess if you had good ground cover that might cut that down, though.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:29 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpondyMan View Post
Awesome, thanks. How was the weather? Was it pretty dewy in the mornings? What about the no-seeums, sand fleas, and skeeters?
I used to spend weekends at Sunset Beach in Hawaii with a fire and blankets on the sand, but every mornig it was a little damp. I guess if you had good ground cover that might cut that down, though.
We only stayed one night but it wasn't really damp in the morning at all. And I really was pleasantly surprised with the lack of bugs on the beach and really everywhere in Puerto Rico.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 AM

71 posts, read 163,166 times
We're (family of 4, 2 young boys) considering visiting the island soon...even potentially relocating to PR.

I'm bummed to see all the chatter about the horrible violent crime, high crime statistics in general, etc, BUT...

I've heard from an acquaintance who relocated to Rincon that the majority of the crime problems are in the big city. Out in "the country", it's very nice...safe, etc.

Would love comments from locals...especially those out in the "country"!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 AM

71 posts, read 163,166 times
A little more detail - I work online (100%), income is not a problem.

We homeschool, so schools aren't a consideration for us. Very mobile

Old 02-13-2014, 05:27 PM

87 posts, read 147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usixly View Post
We're (family of 4, 2 young boys) considering visiting the island soon...even potentially relocating to PR.

!
I have seen this before on this board and I don't understand it. How can anyone think of moving to someplace that they have never even visited??? The most recent one was the kid from the "great university" that plans on moving here and finding work...

Old 02-14-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
cabo rojo area is teh only place i have ever camped on the beach. mostly without tents. usually in groups of 5 or more. hammocks under a tree on that left hill that overlooks bahia sucia across from el faro. out across of the combate town plaza. once we had tents out in the land owned by Recursos Naturales near Buye and a Coast Guard helo lit up our campsite with a spotlight. probbably looking for dominicans. there are dangers involved with camping on the beach for many reasons.

camping not a huge deal in pr

balneario publico de boqueron maybe? ...

A belated Thank You, I have gotten quite a bit done online as far as where to go and used the link to contact the Parques Nacionales for info.
I should be here (as you suggested) next week!!!
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=La+Pl...aya+Sucia&z=14
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories