U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:19 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,328,593 times

Advertisements

The Federal government has sent a special economic advisory team made up of people from the Department of Commerce, Justice, Housing & Urban Development, Health & Human Services, etc to Puerto Rico however their primary function will be to ensure that Federal funds are being used properly.

Also, the Federal government generally does not like to take a direct role in governing the territories unless it pertains to Federal matters.

There is currently a project underway presented by PDP State Sen. Eduardo Bhatia that would basically connect Puerto Rico to Florida's electric grid via a undersea cable. Bhatia is actually one of the very few Populares I like. Although he is a (very, very active) national Democrat he does have many good ideas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 16,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The Federal government has sent a special economic advisory team made up of people from the Department of Commerce, Justice, Housing & Urban Development, Health & Human Services, etc to Puerto Rico however their primary function will be to ensure that Federal funds are being used properly.

Also, the Federal government generally does not like to take a direct role in governing the territories unless it pertains to Federal matters.

There is currently a project underway presented by PDP State Sen. Eduardo Bhatia that would basically connect Puerto Rico to Florida's electric grid via a undersea cable. Bhatia is actually one of the very few Populares I like. Although he is a (very, very active) national Democrat he does have many good ideas.
That's one of the better ideas I've heard yet. One problem with it, though, is that the Florida grid is not worth it. Florida has been getting most of its power by burning oil, coal, gas, and nuclear. Recently, additional nuclear plants have been approved, some of the oil plants were converted to gas, and a very small percentage of power is now on solar.

The thing is, as the "sunshine state", we should be generating a lot more solar power. Additionally, with hundreds and hundreds of miles of coastline, we should have ocean wave power generators. Florida's biggest unused natural renewable energy resource that remains untapped is Jet Stream power. Generators placed off the east coast at the bottom of the ocean, along the jet stream, could produce enough energy to power the entire state. The ice cold water of that jet stream could be piped in and cool air for air conditioning systems.

Since Florida isn't doing these things, the thing PR should do is lead. If PR took the initiative to harness the power of the jet stream, build wave generators, and solar generators, then PR could sell that power to Florida and the rest of the nation, if the grid was linked. Or PR could partner with Florida companies to build these renewable generators. The power could be used domestically and lower electric bills for everyone, as well as sold to mainland power companies. Additionally, this power could be sold to other islands and to Latin America, helping not only the local PR economy but also helping the national US economy by contributing to the gross national export product. That's the kind of initiative PR needs to make. That kind of initiative is what defines the character and economy of the United States. That would put PR on the fast track to statehood.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:08 PM

24,671 posts, read 65,029,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

There is currently a project underway ... that would basically connect Puerto Rico to Florida's electric grid via a undersea cable.
As there is a proposal to connect the USVI to PR's grid.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:42 PM

473 posts, read 721,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post
That's one of the better ideas I've heard yet. One problem with it, though, is that the Florida grid is not worth it. Florida has been getting most of its power by burning oil, coal, gas, and nuclear. Recently, additional nuclear plants have been approved, some of the oil plants were converted to gas, and a very small percentage of power is now on solar.

The thing is, as the "sunshine state", we should be generating a lot more solar power. Additionally, with hundreds and hundreds of miles of coastline, we should have ocean wave power generators. Florida's biggest unused natural renewable energy resource that remains untapped is Jet Stream power. Generators placed off the east coast at the bottom of the ocean, along the jet stream, could produce enough energy to power the entire state. The ice cold water of that jet stream could be piped in and cool air for air conditioning systems.

Since Florida isn't doing these things, the thing PR should do is lead. If PR took the initiative to harness the power of the jet stream, build wave generators, and solar generators, then PR could sell that power to Florida and the rest of the nation, if the grid was linked. Or PR could partner with Florida companies to build these renewable generators. The power could be used domestically and lower electric bills for everyone, as well as sold to mainland power companies. Additionally, this power could be sold to other islands and to Latin America, helping not only the local PR economy but also helping the national US economy by contributing to the gross national export product. That's the kind of initiative PR needs to make. That kind of initiative is what defines the character and economy of the United States. That would put PR on the fast track to statehood.
I guess my question would be is where is PR supposed to come up with the $$$ for these initiatives?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:09 PM

611 posts, read 1,355,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post
Maybe the Federal government should take a more active role in shaking things up there, instead of waiting on the people to do it themselves.
^THIS^
As a Floridian now living in the US Virgin Islands, I look around and shake my head on a daily basis wondering where my government is! Illegal immigration is completely uncontrolled here. If you want to see how overburdened the mainland could be one day if immigration (legal & illegal) is not controlled, then look here. The island (st Thomas) is overpopulated, the schools, roads, stores ect are grossly overcrowded. Illegal immigrit nts live in substandard housing and leave trash strewn about. Are there any building codes here? How someone can lease some land, build rows of tin roof/plywood floor shacks with no hot water. Then turn around and rent it out to illegal aliens and everyone turns a blind eye to it?

I realize island life is different, but I am disgusted by how the federal government turns a blind eye to how the beautiful island of STT is trashed. How Many people (and all that comes with them) can we expect the island to hold?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,328,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
^THIS^
As a Floridian now living in the US Virgin Islands, I look around and shake my head on a daily basis wondering where my government is! Illegal immigration is completely uncontrolled here. If you want to see how overburdened the mainland could be one day if immigration (legal & illegal) is not controlled, then look here. The island (st Thomas) is overpopulated, the schools, roads, stores ect are grossly overcrowded. Illegal immigrit nts live in substandard housing and leave trash strewn about. Are there any building codes here? How someone can lease some land, build rows of tin roof/plywood floor shacks with no hot water. Then turn around and rent it out to illegal aliens and everyone turns a blind eye to it?

I realize island life is different, but I am disgusted by how the federal government turns a blind eye to how the beautiful island of STT is trashed. How Many people (and all that comes with them) can we expect the island to hold?
While Puerto Rico's problems with illegal immigration and drug smuggling are well documented I was unaware that the US Virgin Islands also had this problem. Very interesting, where do these illegal immigrants come from? I would imagine that most Dominicans and Haitians would go right to Puerto Rico.

FY 2014 Federal Budget includes a funding for a "Caribbean Border Security Initiative" that was advocated by Pedro Pierluisi (Puerto Rico's delegate to Congress [resident commissioner] ) and Donna Christensen (the USVI delegate to Congress).

Old 02-11-2014, 02:58 AM

611 posts, read 1,355,198 times
They come from DR and Haiti, but also a large number are from St. Lucia/ Dominica / St. Vincent. Most people you meet from down island are here legally, but some are not. There has been a big push to get kids from the DR to enroll at UVI. Most can not because of their status.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:41 AM

24,671 posts, read 65,029,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
They come from DR and Haiti, but also a large number are from St. Lucia/ Dominica / St. Vincent. Most people you meet from down island are here legally, but some are not.
That's a bit of a switch from, "Illegal immigration is completely uncontrolled here." You've lived in the USVI for how long?

Old 02-11-2014, 07:07 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,971,575 times
Clearly, she hasn't lived in the V.I. as long as you, and never will. However, my experience, dealing directly in the illegal community and with DHS and the ridiculous bureaucracy that is our government, many of whom are as bad as the bad guys, can confirm exactly what she says. Most downislanders (treated like dirt by the "bahn hees") are legal or working on it. A much larger contingent of the DR/Haitian community tends to be undocumented (also treated like dirt by the "bahn hees"). The statement was pretty clear to me. I worked for over 12 years in that community, or on the periphery of it. I'd say illegal immigration is controlled only at the whim of the Federal employees who feel they have to put on an occasional show to keep up appearances while being overpaid and receiving a 25% tax free cost of living allowance for being "forced" to work in the V.I. Remember the dozens of Chinese "visitors" wet up to their waists carrying suitcases and standing in Smith Bay in front of Lake's Chicken Fry at least once a week?

Old 02-11-2014, 07:20 AM

7 posts, read 16,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
I guess my question would be is where is PR supposed to come up with the $$$ for these initiatives?
Encourage the private sector to take part in it. I already suggested partnering with Florida companies, or other companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories