U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:16 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,602,004 times

Advertisements

The definition of "Commonwealth" according to current U.S. State Department policy (as codified in the department's Foreign Affairs Manual) reads: "The term 'Commonwealth' does not describe or provide for any specific political status or relationship. It has, for example, been applied to both states and territories. When used in connection with areas under U.S. sovereignty that are not states, the term broadly describes an area that is self-governing under a constitution of its adoption and whose right of self-government will not be unilaterally withdrawn by Congress."

Since the only right is one that can be removed at will, nor do any significant obligations pertain to this status, it is, IMHO, a distinction without much of a difference.
Massachusets is officially called "the Commonwealth of Massachusets".
So what? it's still a state!

Frankly, I'd love to unilaterally sever any and all ties to this millstone... er, "commonwealth".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 02:19 PM

24,671 posts, read 64,808,860 times
^^^ As totally off-topic as this "debate" has become, I think most who contribute to this forum are very well aware of the US Commonwealth status of PR and didn't need it to be spelled out. It was simply pointed out that this is the designation given by the US to PR.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:53 PM

300 posts, read 393,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
^^^ As totally off-topic as this "debate" has become, I think most who contribute to this forum are very well aware of the US Commonwealth status of PR and didn't need it to be spelled out. It was simply pointed out that this is the designation given by the US to PR.
If by "contributors", you mean folks who ask and answer questions on this forum; then you are wrong. I think "most contributors" are actually in need of carlification--particulary what rights and privelages are enjoyed by USA citizens who travel or relocate to the territory. As the poster above pointed out both MA and PR are commonwealths....

Old 02-17-2014, 05:59 PM

24,671 posts, read 64,808,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu4u View Post
If by "contributors", you mean folks who ask and answer questions on this forum; then you are wrong. I think "most contributors" are actually in need of carlification--particulary what rights and privelages are enjoyed by USA citizens who travel or relocate to the territory. As the poster above pointed out both MA and PR are commonwealths....
And as pointed out, the discussion of PR status is off topic on this thread. As a new "contributor" you may be unaware that there are numerous threads on this forum devoted to exactly that subject, and you may find them of interest.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
That's a bit of a switch from, "Illegal immigration is completely uncontrolled here." You've lived in the USVI for how long?
I'm not sure why longevity is relavant...???

Agreed employing illeagal imigrant on STT is avery common practice. I would venure to say that the overwhelming majority of house keepser/ gardeners /dishwahers (ya know the folks that do jobs american don't want) are illegal form other carribean islands. Personally, I think this shameful, as it only serves to maintain an underclass who's sole purpose is to provide cheep labor for the wealthy.

In addition to the typical "illeagal" STT has it's share of white undocumented and "loosely" documented aliens who take advantage of the "perks" of livingunder the US Flag without paying the price of true citizenship.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
And as pointed out, the discussion of PR status is off topic on this thread. As a new "contributor" you may be unaware that there are numerous threads on this forum devoted to exactly that subject, and you may find them of interest.
I disagree. My post was niether off topic or redundant. The OP spoke of physically "linking" the islands with similiar charaterists. Other contributions (including mine) compared and contrasted the political govenernences of the islands. You may disagree with my views. However, that does not make my comments or opinion irrelavant. Cheers.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 503 times
You all have good ideas and all that is possible but too expensive. It will never be done in this generation.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:38 PM

8,386 posts, read 7,127,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post
I
To me, linking Caribbean islands is far less ambitious than what Russia wants to do. Am I wrong?

You are aware that Cat 5 hurricanes are not unusual and that the USVI/PR lie in a seismic zone where a mega tsunami is a distinct possibility. In fact had the plate which caused the Haitian earthquake been the one off shore and not the one within Haiti itself a tsunami would have wiped out much of the north coast of Hispaniola.

This plate extends from north of Hispaniola to east of Guadeloupe. Its believed that its most sensitive spot is that extending from Hispaniola to the USVI.

Still want to build a bridge that will extend over miles and miles of open water.

Of course when built, it must be maintained. PR and the USVI are broke, and both have lost most of their best and brightest to the mainland.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post
Maybe the Federal government should take a more active role in shaking things up there, instead of waiting on the people to do it themselves.r.

Some one already alluded to the colonial mentality that pervades these islands as is.
PR has lost much of its edge to the DR. The USVI is now poorer than the BVI.

Much of this is due to the notion that there isn't a need to be competitive because Papa Washington will bail us out.

Old 06-04-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
. Most downislanders (treated like dirt by the "bahn hees") are legal or working on it. A much larger contingent of the DR/Haitian community tends to be undocumented (also treated like dirt by the "bahn hees"). ?

STT collapsed at the turn of the 20th C when its use as a refueling and repair depot was reduced. Most Thomians left, many for the USA (they were Danish then), while others ironically to the DR where they went to cut cane.

When the Prohibition, and then WWII increased demand for labor this was filled by immigrants from the BVI, and to a lesser degree Down Islanders.

So when some one says that "I baan hey", ask them where did their grand daddy came from.

There are more bona fide "baan heys" on STX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories