Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: U.S.V.Islanders,would you vote to rejoin Denmark as a Constituent Country(ex:like Dutch St.Maarten)?
Yes 7 26.92%
No 19 73.08%
Maybe 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 04:55 PM

300 posts, read 438,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Suggest you take it up with the US Government and argue with them why they classify black US Virgin Island residents as African Americans in demographic data.
Gladly, please provide "demographic data" which classifes all "black US Virgin Island residents as African Americans".

Old 08-18-2014, 05:26 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
This will get you going in the right direction. The confirming information you're looking for is around B-37.

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/doc/dpsfvi.pdf

I'm sure you know how to do an internet search and you can find similar corroborating information in numerous places. Have fun reading and I'm sure the OP would be more than happy to have you opine on the question asked.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
This will get you going in the right direction. The confirming information you're looking for is around B-37.

I'm sure you know how to do an internet search and you can find similar corroborating information in numerous places. Have fun reading and I'm sure the OP would be more than happy to have you opine on the question asked.
Did you read the document you cited? The US Govement does not "classify black US Virgin Island residents as African Americans in demographic data."

Page 73, provides subcatorgies for African American OR Black designation.

"BLACK OR AFRICAN AMERICAN
Black, African Am., or Negro (Checkbox)

Black ethnic group, not elsewhere classified African American Afro-American
Nigritian Negro Bahamian Barbadian Batswana (Botswana) Not Used Ethiopian Haitian Jamaican Liberian Not Used Namibian Nigerian Other African Not Used Trinidad and Tobago West Indies Zaire Not Used Not Used South African Not Used Dominica Islander Not Used Cayenne Not Used Multiple BLACK OR AFRICAN AMERICAN responses Not Used Black Not Used
"

You'll see that the US government distigishes between African American (aka Afro-American) versus Black ethnic group, not classified as African American.
Furthermore you'll notice that West Indies (west indian) is sub catogory of BLACK. You'll also notice that more populated carribean counties have thier own sub-designation. I would argue that one could combine as a set titled Arfo-Carib.

Those of us familiar with culture understand the difference. If youare havng trouble understanding, I'm sure one of the professors at UVI would be happy to clear-up any misunderstanding.

Last edited by blu4u; 08-18-2014 at 06:24 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Page you cited: Black or African American—A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as “Black,[or] African American, or ,” or report entries such as African American, Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian.

You undertand the meaning of "or" ?

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-01-2014 at 04:01 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 07:10 PM

Glad you enjoyed the read!

Old 08-18-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed the read!
Yes. Thank you. Comforting to know that my US Govenrnment isn't bigioted and doesn't make assumtions solely based upon skin color.

I hope you learned something about making assumtions based upon skin color, too--primarilly that all blacks residing in the USVI are not "African American".

Old 08-19-2014, 05:04 AM

Your reliance on negative assumptions purely for the sake of provoking disruptive argument never fails to amuse.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:47 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,066 times
Quote:
They are US Citizens, ergo are African Americans. There is no "Caribbean" or "Virgin Islander" citizenship.
As a resident of the Virgin Islands who is half MAINLAND U.S. African American and Half MAINLAND U.S. White, I assure you that Virgin Islanders do not consider themselves "African American" and that there is a LARGE cultural disconnect between my AA upbringing in the South and the local culture here in the V.I. I consider myself to be a minority within a minority in regards to my classification herein the VI
In one of my classes a (mainland) white girl repeatedly referred to Virgin Islanders as "African American" and she was quickly put in her place. It's not what people call you, its what you answer to.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
As a resident of the Virgin Islands who is half MAINLAND U.S. African American and Half MAINLAND U.S. White, I assure you that Virgin Islanders do not consider themselves "African American" and that there is a LARGE cultural disconnect between my AA upbringing in the South and the local culture here in the V.I. I consider myself to be a minority within a minority in regards to my classification herein the VI
In one of my classes a (mainland) white girl repeatedly referred to Virgin Islanders as "African American" and she was quickly put in her place. It's not what people call you, its what you answer to.
It's similar to calling all Asians Chinese. While Chinese are Asian, not all Asians are Chinese.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
I assure you that Virgin Islanders do not consider themselves "African American" ...
Which is NOT what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories