U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 06:50 AM

543 posts, read 569,087 times

Advertisements

Thanks for providing us an update tuj.

Saludos!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 10:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,162 times
In general, Puerto Ricans are very accepting of outsiders as long as you embrace the culture. I disagree with the notion that just because you were not born on the island you will always be considered an outsider. I was born in Miami to Puerto Rican parents and moved here when I was 18 to study at UPR Mayaguez. After graduating, I got a job and stayed on the island. While I did get the occasional “gringo” o “americano”, mostly from my family in PR, most of it was in jest. After a year or so on the island it began to feel like home and most people I met didn`t notice I was originally from the mainland. A big part of this is accepting and appreciating the culture.

Yes, politically Puerto Rico is part of the US, but culturally it is very much its own country. In many ways PR has a stronger “national” identity than many independent nations. The people here are proud of that and rightfully so. Part of what makes Puerto Rico special has been its ability to maintain this culture throughout over 100 years of being a US territory. Some mainlanders come here expecting to find another US state and then receive a rude awakening. This is not like moving from Ohio to Miami, you will be an outsider at least temporarily as you would be in any other country. You can either be off-put by this or embrace it and enjoy it for what it is.

I know many people born on the US mainland (myself included) who for all intents and purposes are considered Puerto Rican. Similarly, many people of Cuban and Dominican descent are also considered Puerto Rican. At the same time, there are some people born on the island who identify more with the US and move out the first chance they get. At the end of the day, if you accept and cherish the culture, you will be accepted. Someone posted a photo of Tony Croatto in this topic, and he is a prime example of someone who moved here in his 20`s and was completely accepted as a local because of how he embraced the culture.

Roy Brown, one of the great Puerto Rican folklore signers was not born on the island. His most famous song “Boricua en la luna” is a hymn for many Puerto Ricans both on and off the island. The song ends saying “yo seria borincano aunque naciera en la luna” or “I would be Puerto Rican even if I were born on the moon”. To me this exemplifies Puerto Rican pride. It doesn`t have to do with being born on the island. It is all about accepting and embracing the cultures and customs and respecting its unique identity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTSkRayM_nw
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories