U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 06:39 PM

11,752 posts, read 7,637,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuj View Post

But hey, I'm just a blanco Americano, so what do I know?
Another Puerto Rico tip for you.

Blanco (white) among puertoricans means someone that has facial European features, light complexion, and no African features.

Blanco (white) in the US is probably someone with Northern European heritage. In PR that would be an Americano or gringo. And gringo is not a bad word in PR.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:03 PM
tuj tuj started this thread

25 posts, read 68,439 times
Thanks. I learn more and more every day.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:50 PM

87 posts, read 137,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
. . And gringo is not a bad word in PR.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]And neither is "Negro Fino" (meaning translation=you are one of the good blacks) and "tienes que mejorar la raza" (youhave to better the race by whitening it) is not a bad thing either, right? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 05-24-2014, 03:36 PM

Well everyone, I've been down here for a week and so far most things have gone ok. The cable company has been a bit hit or miss on scheduling a service installation but I think we finally got that figured out today. Driving has been... interesting. Not bad, I don't really think the traffic is as bad where I am at than it is in Houston. I could see how it could get bad at times with the roads being what they are, but overall, things are going pretty good.

We found a nice apartment in Miramar and I'm hoping my wife can join me down here soon.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:59 PM

11,752 posts, read 7,637,905 times
Quote:
Well everyone, I've been down here for a week and so far most things have gone ok. The cable company has been a bit hit or miss on scheduling a service installation but I think we finally got that figured out today. Driving has been... interesting. Not bad, I don't really think the traffic is as bad where I am at than it is in Houston. I could see how it could get bad at times with the roads being what they are, but overall, things are going pretty good.

We found a nice apartment in Miramar and I'm hoping my wife can join me down here soon.
Once you get through August things will be fine.

Just be yourself and remember that PR folks will gladly consider you a fellow puertorican if you are cool with them.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:09 AM

518 posts, read 946,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikooeste View Post
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][SIZE=3]And neither is "Negro Fino" (meaning translation=you are one of the good blacks) and "tienes que mejorar la raza" (youhave to better the race by whitening it) is not a bad thing either, right? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Negro fino, mejorar la raza aren't terms used in everyday conversation but I,ve heard them occasionally. This last one was used publicly by Celso Barbosa the father of the state hood movement. However Gringo is more generalized. It's used in conversations usually, in bars. I,ve noticed that it's used to basically differentiate between US and THEM.
Although we are all American citizens most Puerto Ricans know there is a difference, that is except rabid Pitiyankis. Gringo is used commonly among US but when a gringo is present we drop it, many feel embarrassed. " Ay que dir√° el americano"!

Last edited by clip314; 05-26-2014 at 11:18 AM..

Old 05-26-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
it's used to basically differentiate between US and THEM.
You know, I've moved between states and granted, Puerto Rico is different because of its history and culture and 'possession' status, but never in another state have I encountered such a stark 'US verus THEM' mentality.

Sure I don't speak Spanish (yet), and yes I guess I am a gringo, but we're all US citizens. I am already a contributing member of Puerto Rican society. I am paying taxes, rent, utilities, buying groceries, shopping, etc. Why does it have to be 'US versus THEM'?

Old 05-26-2014, 04:45 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,076,709 times
Quote:
You know, I've moved between states and granted, Puerto Rico is different because of its history and culture and 'possession' status, but never in another state have I encountered such a stark 'US verus THEM' mentality.

Sure I don't speak Spanish (yet), and yes I guess I am a gringo, but we're all US citizens. I am already a contributing member of Puerto Rican society. I am paying taxes, rent, utilities, buying groceries, shopping, etc. Why does it have to be 'US versus THEM'?
Hawaii has it regarding the locals vs mainlanders as well as generalized dislike of Whites (ie: "Kill Haole Day" in Hawaiian schools where White kids get beat up).

You think people in North Carolina are thrilled with all the "Yankees" moving in?

Old 05-26-2014, 04:48 PM

I will grant you Hawaii, because again, late to the Union and long cultural traditions. So I guess what you are saying is that I'm always going to be one of 'THEM' because I didn't grow up here huh? Sad that people are so closed-minded.

You know, we had a saying in Texas: "I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could". Go to the Alamo and you'll be astonished at the number of different nationalities that were fighting (and died) there.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:30 PM

7,801 posts, read 9,076,709 times
Quote:
I will grant you Hawaii, because again, late to the Union and long cultural traditions. So I guess what you are saying is that I'm always going to be one of 'THEM' because I didn't grow up here huh? Sad that people are so closed-minded.

You know, we had a saying in Texas: "I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could". Go to the Alamo and you'll be astonished at the number of different nationalities that were fighting (and died) there.
I believe every state of the Union (at that time) was represented among the Alamo defenders. Not to mention the Tejanos, British and Irish people, and I think there were even some Frenchmen as well.

Yeah, basically you will always be "one of them". It's how it is ... and unfortunately in Puerto Rico many people push this mentality for political gain. Afterall, it's easier to babble about "outsiders" than present a clear plan of governing in line with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories