Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 04:04 PM

13 posts, read 25,756 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I am 30 year old single doctor who just came back to Puerto Rico after 6 years in the US. I was born and raised in San Juan and did my medical school here.

I'm having a very difficult time readjusting to PR. I have been working for the last 9 months in Arecibo. I have a great job and making tons of money, but I miss the lifestyle I had in the states. There were so many things to do including professional sports, festivals, big time concerts and more.

I'm bored in PR. Besides eating, drinking and going to the beach there is not much else. I have to take a plane to do anything different. Watersports is not really my thing. My parents are here and we are very close, but I'm not sure if i should stay because of them. I also miss how everything is more organized in the states and even driving here is hectic. Cars are my passion and there aren't any good smooth roads to do some spirited driving or a nice racetrack to go. Salinas and Ponce cannot compare to what I was used to.

I do feel satisfaction in taking care of my people, but should I think more about me.

I have been offered a job back in the states and I'm not sure what to do. I feel I'm young and time is crucial.

I guess if I stay I will get used to it, but is it too premature? I started to feel like this after 3 months here.

Last edited by Ianvr6; 05-24-2014 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 04:55 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianvr6 View Post
Hi.

I am 30 year old single doctor who just came back to Puerto Rico after 6 years in the US. I was born and raised in San Juan and did my medical school here.

I'm having a very difficult time readjusting to PR. I have been working for the last 9 months in Arecibo. I have a great job and making tons of money, but I miss the lifestyle I had in the states. There were so many things to do including professional sports, festivals, big time concerts and more.

I'm bored in PR. Besides eating, drinking and going to the beach there is not much else. I have to take a plane to do anything different. My parents are here and we are very close, but I'm not sure if i should stay because of them. I also miss how everything is more organized in the states and even driving here is hectic. Cars are my passion and there aren't any good smooth roads to do some spirited driving or a nice racetrack to go. Salinas and Ponce cannot compare to what I was used to.

I do feel satisfaction in taking care of my people, but should I think more about me.

I have been offered a job back in the states and I'm not sure what to do. I feel I'm young and time is crucial.
If you are single you can go anywhere you want-----------You have nothing to lose.

Do you have a wife and kids?

Where did you live before coming back to PR? There are many places in the US that are quite boring too.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:57 PM

13 posts, read 25,756 times
New Orleans

I have no wife or kids.

I will be taking a paycut, but at this point I don't care much.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:30 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
How much would you miss being near your family? If you go back to the Mainland, would you be able to return to PR for visits?

Listen, my Dad was born in PR but raised in NYC. When he visited PR as an adult, he fell in love with the place. Of course, he and my mother would visit in the dead of winter. One year, they took us kids also in winter. We met the relatives and also fell in love with the place. The next year, my Dad got a job transfer to PR. I loved going to school there and it's where I graduated HS. However, when it came time for college, I went stateside. Eventually, so did my parents go back as they missed the lifestyle.

So, you're not alone in wanting to go back stateside. You've gotten to like certain aspects of life outside the Island---and I can relate. My advice---go for it. As you pointed out, when you are older and ready once again for the PR lifestyle, you can always go back and be certain that you would be able to find work.

From what you've written, it seems like if you don't go back, you will regret it at some point.

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-24-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
New Orleans

I have no wife or kids.

I will be taking a paycut, but at this point I don't care much.

New Orleans is not exactly a nice city. I have been there many times and it is hot and filthy. I thought you lived in Southern California, San Francisco, or Seattle.

But, I get it-------There is not much to do in Arecibo.

So what is the problem?

Since you speak Spanish ---------move to Miami. The longer you postpone this the more difficult it will be to leave. With no wife and kids this is a no brainer.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:36 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
New Orleans is not exactly a nice city. I have been there many times and it is hot and filthy. I thought you lived in Southern California, San Francisco, or Seattle.

But, I get it-------There is not much to do in Arecibo.

So what is the problem?

Since you speak Spanish ---------move to Miami. The longer you postpone this the more difficult it will be to leave. With no wife and kids this is a no brainer.
Ilive in Miami as well and have also visited New Orleans many times.

You're completely wrong in saying it's "not exactly a nice city".... I beg to differ. New Orleans is a fantastic city and is one of the nicest, historic, and cosmopolitan cities in the south. Tons to do.

And it's not any hotter than Miami or San Juan so that fact u even mention heat as a deterrant is laughable. New Orleans does expereince a proper winter where it is down right cool for 4 to 5 months out of the year.

So many festivals, unique French culture, African American, American southern culture and food. Amazing night life. Close to Houston, Texas and Florida. So much to do, it's a great city with a lot of soul and energy.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:55 PM

8 posts, read 9,364 times
Hi Ianvr6!

I tell you my friend, PR is having some hard time, and it appears that is going to be that way for a long time, im also from Arecibo, born and raised in this beautiful town, but next year im getting the hell out of here, my wife's a teacher in the DE with an experience of near 10 years in that system and she almost makes $2,000 a month (she's finalizing her master). I had it with the government, they are focus in wining next term, politics here are the ppl sport (hate that), Folks in PR are fanatic of to things most part, politics and religion. Folks say that living in the main land if expensive but hey, living here in a island that dosent produce anything, we dont even have agriculture like we used to back in the 30's 40's and 50's. PR re-lay on the underground business ("pulgeros" or flee-market type of business to say it that way). I love my Island but I love more my family, and here we have no future, im speaking from my heart, get a plane ticket.

Hope this help!

Chris

Old 05-25-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Ilive in Miami as well and have also visited New Orleans many times.

You're completely wrong in saying it's "not exactly a nice city".... I beg to differ. New Orleans is a fantastic city and is one of the nicest, historic, and cosmopolitan cities in the south. Tons to do.

And it's not any hotter than Miami or San Juan so that fact u even mention heat as a deterrant is laughable. New Orleans does expereince a proper winter where it is down right cool for 4 to 5 months out of the year.

So many festivals, unique French culture, African American, American southern culture and food. Amazing night life. Close to Houston, Texas and Florida. So much to do, it's a great city with a lot of soul and energy.
I did not like New Orleans at all. I rather take places like San Diego, Seattle, San Francisco, or even Boston despite the cold weather. I thought NO was dirty and uninteresting, but I was there for just a few days, mostly around the convention center downtown.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:22 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,684 times
Quote:
Hi.

I'm bored in PR. Besides eating, drinking and going to the beach there is not much else. I have to take a plane to do anything different. Watersports is not really my thing. My parents are here and we are very close, but I'm not sure if i should stay because of them. I also miss how everything is more organized in the states and even driving here is hectic. Cars are my passion and there aren't any good smooth roads to do some spirited driving or a nice racetrack to go. Salinas and Ponce cannot compare to what I was used to.

I guess if I stay I will get used to it, but is it too premature? I started to feel like this after 3 months here.

I don't quite get it! What do you miss about the states that you can't get In Puerto Rico?
1- You have a great job making tons of money. That's more than the thousands that are emigrating to the U.S get.
2- You miss professional sports, festivals and big time concerts. First of all foot ball and ice jockey aren't big on the island. Baseball is going the way of the DoDo bird? Soccer isn't big in PR or in the States. Tennis isn't big on the island either. You can always watch these sports at a sports bar with a large screen having beers with your buddies, just as they do in the States? However golf is growing, surfing and other water sports are alive and well.
3- Festivals? There are festivals every week all over the island. " El festival de la hamaca, el festival del bacalao, el festival de una cosa u la otra". In San Juan there are festivals about every week, problem is parking.
4- Big time Concerts? Check out Coliseo a.k.a Choliseo. There are concerts almost every week with big name international stars and locals. Not into pop? El conservatorio de música has jazz festivals periodically and they are very cheap, some free. Into classical? Bellas Artes has concerts almost every week. Soon the full Ballet de Cuba will be performing. That's more than you can say of any U.S. City except New York.
Into Malls? Won't say too much about that because we have more malls per square feet than any place on this planet. Into museums? The one in Ponce is a mini Met and the ones in San Juan beat many in stateside cities of similar size of San juan.
Smooth roads? You may have a point here, however I was just in NY city, the richest city in the States, and it's roads resembled Puerto Rico. Someone told me it was because of their tough winter.
Bottom line is you might be bored for reasons that have nothing to do with living in Puerto Rico. Being single and close to family is a bummer. Living in a small town, where the most people do for entertainment is go to the mall, watch La novella and bochinchar with each other is not good either. However you will find the same in small towns all over America.
Nonetheless if you have the bug to explore the world , go and get it out of your system because you' ll regret it if you stay.
My personal opinion. Travel, get out, but go outside the U.S bubble, live in Europe, it's not as difficult as people think,,I know because I did it.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:31 PM

132 posts, read 237,358 times
To each their own, but the advantages to living in Puerto Rico far outway what one would miss in the states. Of course if you are very wealthy, then there are very nice places in the states to live like in certain parts of California.
I agree that places in Europe are superior to much of anywhere in USA, but, again, make sure you have lots of money.
PR is cheap quality living in an excellent enviornment compared to most places on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories