Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 8,374 times

Advertisements

My family is planning on moving to st croix. We live in California the climate vast changes of weather are causing havoc on my family's health. Thinking of jumping ship, selling our home and purchasing home in st croix. The weather and affordability of the housing market Make St Croix I high contender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 07:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
For the largest amount of information on any site relative to relocating to and living in the USVI, take a look here:

USVI Moving Center - The Ultimate Resource for Relocating to and Living in the Virgin Islands

You'll find a wealth of data and advice which will help you decide if such a move is feasible. Lots of reading - good luck!

Old 06-07-2014, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 8,374 times
Thank you. I have and found helpful. What is like now today.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary hairy View Post
Thank you. I have and found helpful. What is like now today.
Much as you see it described on that site. Island time moves slowly. As you've probably learned from the relocation forum, the Hovensa oil refinery closed down which led to a big jump in the unemployment rate which I believe is still around the 17% mark. Before you make any sort of a decision you should make a pre-move visit and stay for a week or two to get a taste of island living because, as I'm sure you've gathered, it's not a good fit for everyone and living here is vastly different from enjoying a Caribbean vacation. If you have children there's even more to look at than if you were a single or a couple. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2014, 06:37 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Isn't the rumor that Hovensa will open again? I'd heard Exxon bought it but didn't follow the rumor after that....apparently that wasn't so, or I'm looking in all the wrong places.

I know the housing market took a dive there when it closed - reopening would surely give a well-needed shot in the arm to the STX economy.

HOVENSA has potential buyers - News - Virgin Islands Daily News

Old 06-11-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Isn't the rumor that Hovensa will open again?
Rumors abound and everybody and his great grandmother has something to pass along the coconut telegraph but you know how that old scenario plays out! A sale agreement was hammered out between Hess/Hovensa and the government but all proposals remain - and understandably so - confidential until a firm deal is struck. We believe when we see the signatures!

Old 06-11-2014, 08:02 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,054 times
It would be a good thing for it to be again.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:43 AM

5 posts, read 9,171 times
I was wondering if anyone currently living in St Croix could give me any info on the current state of things there..?? As far as crime, schools, hospitals, living in general. Before anyone refers me to it, I'd like to say that I have checked out the USVI moving center that I've seen suggested on here...but I'd really like to talk to someone, or multiple people, who currently live there that can give me some idea of what I may or may not be getting into. I've posted on other forums but they've gone unanswered.. I would be moving with my mother and 5 year old daughter. I guess my main concern is all the things I've read about crime and quite a few people have said that the schools aren't great and that white children have a hard time... just wondering how much truth there is to all of these comments. I'm also wondering if St Croix is more conservative or liberal, or if it's not either really. We plan on making a PMV...but as I mentioned, I'd just really appreciate any insight someone could give me that is currently living there. Hopefully this doesn't come off as rude, but if you lived there 3 years ago or 30 years ago, I'll ask that you not comment as I'm more concerned with the current state of things. I'm also wondering what the areas are that should be avoided? I saw this question asked either on here or another forum and it kind of seemed as though quite a few people were offended by the question and yet, the same people were saying in other posts, "just like anywhere, use common sense... there are areas everywhere you would avoid or wouldn't roam alone, etc. etc. etc.", so I'm trying to figure out if their are certain areas that should be avoided... and hopefully I don't offend anyone, just wanting the real deal scoop on St Croix. I'm moving from Oklahoma, currently surrounded by meth addicts and, for lack of a better term, ignorant hillbillies. Guns everywhere, cops are outside of my house every day, took my daughter out of school here as they are not the greatest. So, am I looking into what could be a similar situation for she and I, or is the crime in certain areas, or...?? Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:01 PM

The answers you're getting are as diverse as the population and and this is why they're so difficult to answer. "Areas to be avoided" depend very much on your own perception. Neighborhoods here are rarely clumped into neat little subdivisions of "good" and "bad". Some people like to be in gated communities where the perception of safety is higher - but even gated communities are accessible to lowlifes and burglaries/home invasions. Some people swear that crime is rampant, others have a completely different perspective and live here for years without being touched by it.

Racism is here as it is everywhere else on the planet. The schools aren't "great", many are very good but then that also depends on what the child takes from the home. They suffer from the same issues as stateside. The mix of people manifests in a mix of liberalism and conservatism. You see how difficult it is to give you a neatly packaged "low down"?

The only way you can see if living here suits YOU is to make a pre move visit, travel around whichever island you decide upon, visit the schools and get a feel for it all. There's no question that it's not for everyone but that's a decision which only you can make.

I came to St Thomas 30 years ago and never left. The USVI is my home and, despite all its faults and downsides, I can't imagine living anywhere else - not in my native England where I was raised nor on the US mainland where I lived for 17 years before coming here.

Come and take a look around and see for yourself!

Old 01-12-2015, 12:37 PM

5 posts, read 9,171 times
I attempted to look up criminal activity hot spots, but to no avail. And maybe, as so many have said on here, there aren't any real hot spots of criminial activity.. it could just happens anywhere and everywhere. I guess I'm expecting someone to give me at least a general idea of areas that could probably be avoided. For example, if someone were to ask me about spots to be avoided in Oklahoma, I'd tell them they should probably steer clear of north Tulsa any time, but especially at night, if they value their life. But I also described the issues in my current location which wouldn't be too appealing to anyone either. It's a safer version of danger?? I don't know Haha... but I understand it can't always be as clear cut as that everywhere. Specifically vague is what I'm getting out of these forums... I guess if I were just traveling by myself -- without a 5 year old -- I wouldn't mind just venturing out and about in an unknown area...unfortunately, it's not a luxury I currently have. A vacation there would be doable with my daughter (maybe?) but as we all know, vacationing and living somewhere are two completely different things. I'm starting to think maybe it's not the best idea. Thank you for taking the time to respond, STT Resident. I truly appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories